New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

23 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Hi, I fitted mine with Hornby chip by ignoring the picture in the booklet. It just fits if you insert the socket as far in to the hole at the bottom of the barrel as it will go and then put the chip horizontally into the top half of the barrel. You have to jiggle the wires a bit but it does go...it isn't for the faint hearted though.

Good luck.

Chris

Thank you for the advice and have now managed to do it with your guidance. I agree its not for the faint hearted! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Actually in most parts they are 1979/80 replicas for Rocket 150 using the LMS ones as a basis for rebuilds.

Ah, that stirs the mud. There were three firsts and three seconds built by the LMS in 1930, usually seen then with Lion. Unfortunately in that photo, the names can't be made out but they certainly including Traveller and Huskinson. As far as I can work out, the NRM still has these in its collection, along with one of the seconds. Where are / what became of the other three 1930 carriages? And were there additional replicas built in 1979/80? If so, where are they?

Edited by Compound2632

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, that stirs the mud. There were three firsts and three seconds built by the LMS in 1930, usually seen then with Lion. Unfortunately in that photo, the names can't be made out but certainly including Traveller and Huskinson. As far as I can work out, the NRM still has these in its collection, along with one of the seconds. Where are / what became of the other three 1930 carriages. And were there additional replicas built in 1979/80? If so, where are they?

I think the others are in the Liverpool museum storage facility.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, that stirs the mud. There were three firsts and three seconds built by the LMS in 1930, usually seen then with Lion. Unfortunately in that photo, the names can't be made out but certainly including Traveller and Huskinson. As far as I can work out, the NRM still has these in its collection, along with one of the seconds. Where are / what became of the other three 1930 carriages. And were there additional replicas built in 1979/80? If so, where are they?

My understanding is that the 2 open carriages in the NRM collection were built using the LMS replicas wbich were in poor condition. Apologies if my post was unclear.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

My understanding is that the 2 open carriages in the NRM collection were built using the LMS replicas wbich were in poor condition. Apologies if my post was unclear.

Understood - my knowledge of the subject is enlarged, so many thanks!

57 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Any idea why we get 4 long and 2 short couplings though ? I have used 3 of the long ones which is likely wrong.

Chris

I run mine with a short coupling off the tender and the longer ones between the coaches. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

does anyone know if the actual Rocket as displayed in the Science Museum (is it still there?)

no it’s moved to York for at least ten years. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-49825385

is in the configuration it operated in on the L&M or was it modified again.

it’s basically in as close to the condition it finished service in as they can ascertain so similar to its final condition on the L&M but a few detail differences from repairs. 

I assume that when it ran over poor Mr. Huskisson on the railway's opening day the cylinders were already horizontal? 

No they weren’t lowered until a year after that when it was rebuilt to match the ‘Rocket.2’ class. 

“Rudititanic posted

As an aside, it was after another serious accident in 1831 that she was modified into a pseudo-Northumbrian class with lowered cylinders as now preserved.”

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 ordered through Hattons for eventual delivery down under. I did have 4 RoS ones ordered but that’s obviously out of the question now. 

excellent values the Hornby model it, works out at $25AUD after VAT is taken away. 

3 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Any idea why we get 4 long and 2 short couplings though ? I have used 3 of the long ones which is likely wrong.

Chris

It looks like the short one is for tender to carriage, and the longer ones are for between the carriages which need a little more clearance with their buffers. In fairness though, if it works, it's not a massive issue!

Cheers

J

• Thanks 1

Mine came yesterday, just in time for the 3rd class coach to be ordered. Quite rare to see a terrier dwarf a coach or a tender engine...

I went for the non special set to avoid duplicating coach names. Though the two sets (1980s vs 2020s) are like comparing chalk and cheese!

She will only pull the 3 coaches if the layout is dead flat. She slipped a bit on 1/150 inclines.

Rocket1.jpg

Rocket2.jpg

Rocket3.jpg

Rocket4.jpg

Rocket5.jpg

Rocket6.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

well i can't believe my luck. i spoke to kernow who said i could return  my faulty loco for a refund. i spoke with my local shop who had a couple left, so i popped over at lunch. I tested it on his test track and tootled home. i've just gone to try it on dcc and nothing, tried a few different chips, still nothing. flipped over the loco and one of the wires has come away, not sure when this happened, does dc running require all wires from the dcc socket to be in tact?

i really dont want to return another one, i'd rather solder the wire back on but i've no idea where it has come from, i can't see an unused solder pad etc.

anybody have a pic of the underside of the tender?

thanks

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

well i can't believe my luck. i spoke to kernow who said i could return  my faulty loco for a refund. i spoke with my local shop who had a couple left, so i popped over at lunch. I tested it on his test track and tootled home. i've just gone to try it on dcc and nothing, tried a few different chips, still nothing. flipped over the loco and one of the wires has come away, not sure when this happened, does dc running require all wires from the dcc socket to be in tact?

i really dont want to return another one, i'd rather solder the wire back on but i've no idea where it has come from, i can't see an unused solder pad etc.

anybody have a pic of the underside of the tender?

thanks

You need 4 wires for basic motor control (e.g. no lights etc.), the plug connects the two wires from the track to the two wires to the motor, all a decoder does is go between the track and motor

9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

She will only pull the 3 coaches if the layout is dead flat. She slipped a bit on 1/150 inclines.

What you have to remember is that Rocket was built to the Rainhill Trials rules and weighed 4.25 tons (not including the tender).  It had to draw a weight of three times the weight of the engine, the tender, its fuel and water was part of the hauled weight.  So the weight the locomotive pulled for the trial was 12.5 tons in all.  Given that, Rocket is doing very well to pull the three coaches!

(None of the Rainhill entrants had more than 4 carrying wheels, and thus weighed no more than 4.5 tons, so none were pulling more than 13.5 tons)

Edited by Hroth
Rephrasing for clarity.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

You need 4 wires for basic motor control (e.g. no lights etc.), the plug connects the two wires from the track to the two wires to the motor, all a decoder does is go between the track and motor

thats what i thought, i must of broke the wire putting it back in or taking out of the packaging again.....can't see to find a wiring diagram for under the tender

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jonnyuk said:

thats what i thought, i must of broke the wire putting it back in or taking out of the packaging again.....can't see to find a wiring diagram for under the tender

Can't help with the wiring layout as I haven't bought a "Rocket" myself.

There maybe suppression components as well, which could complicate the wiring slightly.

Going to have to ring Gaugemaster tomorrow as mine is still not turning its wheels. Think one of the wires disconnected getting it back into its packaging as well; really those wires are not brillant and either some plug in arrangement or a permanently coupled tender would have been a better option IMO. Did spend some time pondering how you get the body off but thinking on how the Triang one went together as you cannot easily, its seems, remove the connecting rod from the wheel I suspect it a case of removing the cylinders from the body and then undoing the slotted head bolt on the underside.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Could be a 2nd hand model they've had as a trade in/bought in collection? 

Doesn't look like it is second hand as they had four to sell and now have two left! Also they say they are NEW.