New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I'm beginning to wish I'd ordered ten, now, so that I could sell nine of them on eBay and end up with a free coach and some extra money.

Is that missing an emoji? :(

And profit off the poor sods whose model shop orders were cancelled last week? 

There’s a lot of moaning about alleged profiteering by manufacturers and on eBay on here then everyone wants to join in! 
There’s a certain hypocrisy going on or is it just greed? 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Is that missing an emoji? :(

And profit off the poor sods whose model shop orders were cancelled last week? 

There’s a lot of moaning about alleged profiteering by manufacturers and on eBay on here then everyone wants to join in! 
There’s a certain hypocrisy going on or is it just greed? 

No, unless there's an emoji for irony. I'm just a bit annoyed that Hornby seems to have so drastically underestimated demand for these. And I'm really annoyed that they've decided to make them a limited edition, which not only precludes another production run (unless the next is significantly different) but also contributes to the inflated demand from collectors.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not annoyed at the underestimation of demand...

...but I will be annoyed if stocks were pulled from distributers to bolster their own sales opportunities.

...I'm also wondering how one stockist seems to have a hundred of them!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Have Hornby officially said that this is a limited edition, or is it just a limited run at this time ?

This is after all new tooling (including the 1st class coach) and they will want to recover their investment on what is going to be a very inexpensive model if the original stated price is upheld. The actual model looks like an alternative body on the 1st class coach chassis, so some saving there. I would have imagined that they would have expected to get a lot more production out of this tooling with an extra run as soon as a slot is available and especially in the long term with the Rainhill and Liverpool and Manchester 200th anniversaries in 2029/30.

Ray

9 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Have Hornby officially said that this is a limited edition, or is it just a limited run at this time ?

This is after all new tooling (including the 1st class coach) and they will want to recover their investment on what is going to be a very inexpensive model if the original stated price is upheld. The actual model looks like an alternative body on the 1st class coach chassis, so some saving there. I would have imagined that they would have expected to get a lot more production out of this tooling with an extra run as soon as a slot is available and especially in the long term with the Rainhill and Liverpool and Manchester 200th anniversaries in 2029/30.

Ray

When it was announced it was a limited run of 1000, not a limited edition. Probably done like that to gauge demand.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 10:07, Pre Grouping fan said:

I can see it being very unlikely they have 100 models.

And for some reason are offering another 15 models weathered... Whats the point in that as the prototype never got that weathered surely? 

So does that mean they have 115 models? 

Well one hopes they do have 100 models for their sake, as theyve sold 67 already, one has to only checkout their basket with the rest...

if they don't have them to sell, they will be on a pretty sticky wicket.

For sure theyve cashed in on FOMO, set a minimum price that people will buy, its only going up from there.

So who has the other 900 and what are they doing with them ?

Hornby has gone a long way, 2 years back their stuff was in a downwards price war from announcement, with retailers squealing they couldn't make a penny.
Now retailers are in command of the market with competition non-existent on several releases, and are able to name their own price, restrict access to sales,  on some models,  with prices rising weekly, how long can it last ?

i’m considering walking away on my pre-orders.. if you cant get it, or the price, then whats the point ? I’m not going to be mugged for a model train...

My Rocket might as well go on ebay, if I cant get the coach, and everyone else is minting it, why shouldnt I ? - i’ll just buy it back after the crash, just look at Pecketts..

Edited by adb968008

33 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

When it was announced it was a limited run of 1000, not a limited edition. Probably done like that to gauge demand.

Especially when you consider how many Rockets are probably just going to sit in their boxes as they were bought by collectors. Particularly the "Triang" version.

Imagine making 10,000 of them and only selling 1000. Everyone would be jumping up and down screaming Hornby have got it wrong again.

Jason

• Agree 5

25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Especially when you consider how many Rockets are probably just going to sit in their boxes as they were bought by collectors. Particularly the "Triang" version.

Jason

Mine, which wasn't bought as an 'investment', must be worthless now - I've unsealed and opened the box, opened the couplings and crew packets, and actually used the whole train! :O

It was bought for a bit of fun, and at least I know it works as it should...;)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

They don’t actually need to change the coach at all they can just do variations of the box artwork and still call it a ltd edition ;) 

31 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

My Rocket might as well go on ebay, if I cant get the coach, and everyone else is minting it, why shouldnt I ? - i’ll just buy it back after the crash, just look at Pecketts..

Irritating to not get one yes but this July announcement hardly influenced your decision on the set in January?

So why not join in and vote for price inflation as the companies do look at what people are ‘prepared to pay’ ;) 

Doesn’t take much for a change in policy for that to backfire badly. LGB were lead to takeover by the rug being pulled by banks and the new owner has said they are now focused on the collector and the prices went up 70-80% and a large number of people just couldn’t afford it anymore. LGB are doing fine though as they sold the two loco Spike Centenary set for $9000! The quality didn’t change on the main range just the pricing, be careful what you wish for ;) 

Plus it is a gamble some Pecketts have been sold cheaper but not all, find a cheap H&P one ;)  

Some of us were pleasantly surprised they didn’t charge a fortune extra for the nice Triang set box but then again as a result I stuck passengers in the coaches. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've just confirmed payment for the two I preordered from Derails, so I'm looking forward to them arriving soon.

I run my standard edition Rocket set as a "special attraction" on a fictional Heritage railway*.  I've not dared to open up the first class coaches, but the opens will get passengers in modern garb, enjoying the ride!

* Rule One rules, yay!  Whats not to like?

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I run my standard edition Rocket set as a "special attraction" on a fictional Heritage railway*.  I've not dared to open up the first class coaches, but the opens will get passengers in modern garb, enjoying the ride!

* Rule One rules, yay!  Whats not to like?

Sometime in the 1980's I went in a real third class coach behind Rocket on the Colne Valley Railway at Castle Hedingham. A very interesting ride but I would not have wanted to go the whole way from Liverpool to Manchester.

• Like 4

Email received this morning...

Dear XXXXXXXX

Great news! Your L&MR, Open Third Class Carriage, Era 1 (R40141) Pre-Order has now arrived at our warehouse and will shortly be prepared for dispatch.

Your order number is HXXXXXXX

If you have any questions about your order, please contact our Customer Care Team on 01843 233525 or customercare@Hornby.com quoting your order number.

Thank you for choosing Hornby.

So it looks like my order for one coach is on track.... ;)

27 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Sometime in the 1980's I went in a real third class coach behind Rocket on the Colne Valley Railway at Castle Hedingham. A very interesting ride but I would not have wanted to go the whole way from Liverpool to Manchester.

I've travelled in a similar vehicle behind the replica Planet at MOSI Manchester. Only a couple of hundred yards and I wouldn't  have appreciated it if Planet had escaped Liverpool Road Station and made it all the way to Lime Street!

I suppose  we've become too accustomed to creature comforts nowadays...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Imagine making 10,000 of them and only selling 1000. Everyone would be jumping up and down screaming Hornby have got it wrong again.

Jason

But its a coach.

People may have 1 loco, but more than 1 coaches.

if they had made 1000 packs of 3, at £99.99 rather than a single a £16.99 I am sure Hornby would still have had the same success. I fear Hornby missed their potential on this one.

Imho..

first mistake was pricing it as a wagon.

second mistake was not recognising it as a train.

1000 open 3rds could become rarer than 500 metal Duchess of Atholls.

on a slightly different tangent, I hope the wagon comes with couplings (given they are unique).

Edited by adb968008