Jump to content

New Hornby Rocket


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

 

Probably in part because people don't seem to go direct to Olivia's.

 

And the ironic part is on their website they say "£25 from 19th November. £17 orders taken up to Oct 2020. £21 from 1st Nov to 18th (Sorry for these price hikes this stops people purchasing these then selling them on ebay yes we make a profit but at least you can buy them)"


Roy

Far from stopping people from selling on ebay, their actions make it easier for the ebay seller to sell at an inflated price and still be cheaper than Olivia's. What they really mean is that they are pulling another fast one.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Far from stopping people from selling on ebay, their actions make it easier for the ebay seller to sell at an inflated price and still be cheaper than Olivia's. What they really mean is that they are pulling another fast one.


At least they are admitting it.

I’m not sure a number of other retailers might be doing the same, on this and a few other items.
Whether that’s for profit, or protection from uncertain supplies is to be seen... but retailers holding stock back is a sure way to create a bubble, extra tied up cash, that could turn to a Black Swan, maybe by accident or perhaps by design.

 

Edited by adb968008
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:


At least they are admitting it.

I’m not sure a number of other retailers might be doing the same, on this and a few other items.
Whether that’s for profit, or protection from uncertain supplies is to be seen... but retailers holding stock back is a sure way to create a bubble, extra tied up cash, that could turn to a Black Swan, maybe by accident or perhaps by design.

 

 

I would love to see the likes of Hornby take a stand against retailers that are blatantly hiking prices as, ultimately, the consumer suffers and so, longer-term. will the manufacturer.

 

I feel for those who will not get their pre-order, yet see a retailer doing this.

 

And as for me, I vetoed Olivia's many moons ago after a bad experience and this just reinforces my reasoning for that decision.


Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

so if they've got 100 then that is 1/10 of the production run ! Not surprising everyone else is having their orders cut back !

Given the premium pricing, maybe they are buying them off the Hornby website :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

 I'm beginning to wish I'd ordered ten, now, so that I could sell nine of them on eBay and end up with a free coach and some extra money.

Is that missing an emoji? :(

 

And profit off the poor sods whose model shop orders were cancelled last week? 

There’s a lot of moaning about alleged profiteering by manufacturers and on eBay on here then everyone wants to join in! 
There’s a certain hypocrisy going on or is it just greed? 

  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Is that missing an emoji? :(

 

And profit off the poor sods whose model shop orders were cancelled last week? 

There’s a lot of moaning about alleged profiteering by manufacturers and on eBay on here then everyone wants to join in! 
There’s a certain hypocrisy going on or is it just greed? 

 

No, unless there's an emoji for irony. I'm just a bit annoyed that Hornby seems to have so drastically underestimated demand for these. And I'm really annoyed that they've decided to make them a limited edition, which not only precludes another production run (unless the next is significantly different) but also contributes to the inflated demand from collectors.

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I'm not annoyed at the underestimation of demand...

 

...but I will be annoyed if stocks were pulled from distributers to bolster their own sales opportunities.

...I'm also wondering how one stockist seems to have a hundred of them!

 

 

Kev.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have Hornby officially said that this is a limited edition, or is it just a limited run at this time ?

 

This is after all new tooling (including the 1st class coach) and they will want to recover their investment on what is going to be a very inexpensive model if the original stated price is upheld. The actual model looks like an alternative body on the 1st class coach chassis, so some saving there. I would have imagined that they would have expected to get a lot more production out of this tooling with an extra run as soon as a slot is available and especially in the long term with the Rainhill and Liverpool and Manchester 200th anniversaries in 2029/30.

 

Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they will make more. The limited edition status isn't framed in a way that prevents more being made (I've lost count of the number of Limited Edition Flying Scotsmen and Evening Stars....) 

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Have Hornby officially said that this is a limited edition, or is it just a limited run at this time ?

 

This is after all new tooling (including the 1st class coach) and they will want to recover their investment on what is going to be a very inexpensive model if the original stated price is upheld. The actual model looks like an alternative body on the 1st class coach chassis, so some saving there. I would have imagined that they would have expected to get a lot more production out of this tooling with an extra run as soon as a slot is available and especially in the long term with the Rainhill and Liverpool and Manchester 200th anniversaries in 2029/30.

 

Ray

When it was announced it was a limited run of 1000, not a limited edition. Probably done like that to gauge demand.

 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 10:07, Pre Grouping fan said:

I can see it being very unlikely they have 100 models.

And for some reason are offering another 15 models weathered... Whats the point in that as the prototype never got that weathered surely? 

So does that mean they have 115 models? 

Well one hopes they do have 100 models for their sake, as theyve sold 67 already, one has to only checkout their basket with the rest...

 

if they don't have them to sell, they will be on a pretty sticky wicket.

 

For sure theyve cashed in on FOMO, set a minimum price that people will buy, its only going up from there.

 

So who has the other 900 and what are they doing with them ?

 

Hornby has gone a long way, 2 years back their stuff was in a downwards price war from announcement, with retailers squealing they couldn't make a penny.
Now retailers are in command of the market with competition non-existent on several releases, and are able to name their own price, restrict access to sales,  on some models,  with prices rising weekly, how long can it last ?

 

i’m considering walking away on my pre-orders.. if you cant get it, or the price, then whats the point ? I’m not going to be mugged for a model train...

 

My Rocket might as well go on ebay, if I cant get the coach, and everyone else is minting it, why shouldnt I ? - i’ll just buy it back after the crash, just look at Pecketts..

 

 

 


 

 

Edited by adb968008
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

When it was announced it was a limited run of 1000, not a limited edition. Probably done like that to gauge demand.

 

 

 

Especially when you consider how many Rockets are probably just going to sit in their boxes as they were bought by collectors. Particularly the "Triang" version.

 

Imagine making 10,000 of them and only selling 1000. Everyone would be jumping up and down screaming Hornby have got it wrong again.

 

 

Jason

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

Especially when you consider how many Rockets are probably just going to sit in their boxes as they were bought by collectors. Particularly the "Triang" version.

 

Jason

 

Mine, which wasn't bought as an 'investment', must be worthless now - I've unsealed and opened the box, opened the couplings and crew packets, and actually used the whole train! :O

It was bought for a bit of fun, and at least I know it works as it should...;)

  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.