Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

On 24/12/2019 at 11:11, AY Mod said:

Gresley W1 4-6-4 "Hush-Hush"

Engine_10000_(Wonder_Book_of_Engineering_Wonders,_1931).jpg

w1rebuilt.jpg

Images- lner.info

image.png

Hornby have announced three versions of W1 10000 in the original build: R3840; R3841, British Enterprise; and R3842, promotional.

To my understanding, the nameplate was never applied to the locomotive. But what is the difference between R3840 and R3842? Which version was more likely to have been seen pulling a train?

I'm not surprised that someone announced this, but I am a little surprised that it was Hornby - I thought it would be picked up by one of the smaller, crowdfunded outfits. It's not my thing, but that's what I said about the P2 and now I own one.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Agree 1

This is a fantastic announcement by Hornby, certainly thrown the cat amongst the budgies - as fundamental (in being different) as Rocket and APT are (in being 'obvious' and popular choices).

I've always loved this locomotive since I first saw photos of it as a school lad 45-50 years ago.

The photos indicate the Kylchap double chimney with 'original-looking' bodywork. The first ones had a single chimney.

Will Hornby be producing the single chimney'd one as well - original variation?

My preference will be as in the photos, with 'squashed sausage' bodywork and Kylchap (double) chimney.

Which option will this be?

Which livery (-ies) is it available in?

Thanks,

Al.

Edited by atom3624

32 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

This is a fantastic announcement by Hornby, certainly thrown the cat amongst the budgies - as fundamental (in being different) as Rocket and APT are (in being 'obvious' and popular choices).

I've always loved this locomotive since I first saw photos of it as a school lad 45-50 years ago.

The photos indicate the Kylchap double chimney with 'original-looking' bodywork. The first ones had a single chimney.

Will Hornby be producing the single chimney'd one as well - original variation?

My preference will be as in the photos, with 'squashed sausage' bodywork and Kylchap (double) chimney.

Which option will this be?

Which livery (-ies) is it available in?

Thanks,

Al.

First ones? There was only ever one. 10000 was unique.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Denbridge said:

First ones? There was only ever one. 10000 was unique.

I know there was only ever one, but there were several 'iterations'.

I accept my wording was clear enough, but I'm trying to clarify which 'R' is which iteration - of the same locomotive, and what the liveries will be, and where ...

Impatient?

YES!!

Might put an 0-4-0 3-pole in it with 2x 250g flywheels on to fill the space ....

Unfair.

Hornby, PLEASE 'don't do a TTS P2' and put a poor-quality 3-pole in it for progress - that 5-pole which has been in MN's and Coronations for a decade or so remains an excellent motor ...

Al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, truffy said:

Hornby have announced three versions of W1 10000 in the original build: R3840; R3841, British Enterprise; and R3842, promotional.

To my understanding, the nameplate was never applied to the locomotive. But what is the difference between R3840 and R3842? Which version was more likely to have been seen pulling a train?

Hi
When I built my south eastern fine cast years ago. As far as Know there was only one version of the original and never carried name plates .Then she was rebuilt.
So My quess would be

R3840 is the one we see in photos.

R3841 never existed

R3842 not sure what they mean by promotional. May be when she was in primer ?

John

Edited by oleander

Hi John, that's what's confusing me.

Perhaps the numbering is back-to-front.

'Promotional' might be the first one, in 'photographic grey', grey buffer beam, etc. ...

R3841 as you state, never made it - could be possible to combine R3840 / R3841 and throw in the plates - purchaser to add if required - if that's the only difference?

From what I can make out, it started with a SINGLE chimney, then remained a 'squashed sausage', but gained a Kylchap double chimney ...

After that, it was rebuilt, made 'simple' ...

Al.

25 minutes ago, oleander said:

Hi
When I built my south eastern fine cast years ago. As far as Know there was only one version of the original and never carried name plates .Then she was rebuilt.
So My quess would be

R3840 is the one we see in photos.

R3841 never existed

R3842 not sure what they mean by promotional. May be when she was in primer ?

John

I wonder if the named example is to be in the Apple Green livery that I understand was proposed.

Hi Al
hopefully later in the year Hornby will fill in the missing info.
To me in the unrebuilt version there is only one ,and that R3840. I agree put the plates in a box and leave it up to the modler. Seams odd to do a version with plates . The Promotional well best wait and see what Hornby mean by that.
I agree with you. As far as I know the double chimney only came about when she was rebuilt.Maybe other with better knowlage can answer this
John

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denbridge said:

I wonder if the named example is to be in the Apple Green livery that I understand was proposed.

She wore a grey livery only in her unrebuilt state . Plates were cast but never fitted.
Then she was rebuilt and looked like an A4 green livery. I have not seen a photo of her wearing name plates then . Some one might have that photo.After that she went in to BR.
John

Hush Hush

Never had name plates , the plates were cast, including Pegasus as well as the  British Enterprise version.

Always fitted with a Double chimney. EDIT , sorry Wrong , I have just seen a overhead photo of the original W1, its a single chimney .

Original livery Grey is a slight problem area,  you see photos and Models in every possible shade of Grey, at a total guess a mid Grey is the safest version ?

Rebuilt W1, Garter Blue with valances, as pre war A4's.

War time Black with NE on Tender, no valances .

Post war Garter Blue ,no valances, still  as No 10000 (the only LNER Loco not renumbered by Thompson) in Chrome cast numbers and letters as on the pre war Coronation and post war A4's .

The only Apple Green version I have ever seen of the W1, is on a period cigarette card !

1 a lner hush hush.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, oleander said:

She wore a grey livery only in her unrebuilt state . Plates were cast but never fitted.
Then she was rebuilt and looked like an A4 green livery. I have not seen a photo of her wearing name plates then . Some one might have that photo.After that she went in to BR.
John

Note that I said proposed. The livery like the plates was never carried. That said, there have been plenty of models made depicting this proposed livery as an internet search will show. 10000 in Apple Green is a very attractive beast.

25 minutes ago, oleander said:

John

In her rebuilt state she only carried garter blue in LNER days and never carried the plates. Oh and wartime black.

Edited by Denbridge

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, micklner said:

Hush Hush

Never had name plates , the plates were cast, including Pegasus as well as the  British Enterprise version.

Always fitted with a Double chimney.

Original livery Grey is a slight problem area,  you see photos and Models in every possible shade of Grey, at a total guess a mid Grey is the safest version ?

Rebuilt W1, Garter Blue with valances, as pre war A4's.

War time Black with NE on Tender, no valances .

Post war Garter Blue ,no valances, still  as No 10000 (the only LNER Loco not renumbered by Thompson) in Chrome cast numbers and letters as on the pre war Coronation and post war A4's .

The only Apple Green version I have ever seen of the W1, is on a period cigarette card !

Which appears to be the answer!

Further information, courtesy of Dan from Derails.

"... the LNER issued various promotional materials for the loco, things like cigarette packets and posters, which had the loco shown wearing an LNER Apple Green livery. Despite it not being prototypical, Hornby have decided to give this livery a go and that is what R3842 W1 Hush Hush (promotional) is going to be wearing."

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have this information on their website

Hornby

R3840 Class W1 Hush-Hush 4-6-4 10000 in LNER battleship grey

R3841 Class W1 Hush-Hush 4-6-4 10000 'British Enterprise' in LNER battleship grey  
R3842 Class W1 Hush-Hush 4-6-4 10000 in LNER apple green  

I hope this helps,

John Storey

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The 3D print / mock-up clearly indicates a double chimney.

The original 10000 clearly had a single chimney, and for it's first rebuild received a double chimney.

Back to the R3840, R3841 - both grey which keeps the prototypical originality of the beast, are these just going to have the double chimney already shown, or single?

Will the green 'Publicity' locomotive have the double, and the 'greys' the single?

In all initial photos and filming, I only see the double chimney, which suits me, but may not necessarily be correct ...

I think this is one of those 'seen in the flesh' things - when a decision can be made, but for now, a preference would be grey with double chimney.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1