Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

I have now read the following in the book,  Hush Hush The story of LNER 10000 by William Brown.

W1 was fitted new with a Single Blastpipe/Chimney.

In May 1935 a Double Blastpipe/Chimney was fitted for testing . By August 1935 she was withdrawn for the rebuild into the A4 lookalike. There is no mention of her actually pulling any commercial trains in that last 3 months. There is a photo showing extra cowling fitted to the front smoke deflector when fitted with the Double chimney

Hopefully Hornby has now done some more research, re the wrong chimney for the 3d body layout shown in the print.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hornby, PLEASE 'don't do a TTS P2' and put a poor-quality 3-pole in it for progress - that 5-pole which has been in MN's and Coronations for a decade or so remains an excellent motor ...

Be of good cheer, 5 Pole Skew Wound motor: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-class-w1-hush-hush-4-6-4-10000-era-3.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Its about time there was not too much Southern! Area is over saturated and Hornby have done well to move out to get popular choices!

3 hours ago, micklner said:

Original livery Grey is a slight problem area,  you see photos and Models in every possible shade of Grey, at a total guess a mid Grey is the safest version ?

Rebuilt W1, Garter Blue with valances, as pre war A4's.

War time Black with NE on Tender, no valances .

Post war Garter Blue ,no valances, still  as No 10000 (the only LNER Loco not renumbered by Thompson) in Chrome cast numbers and letters as on the pre war Coronation and post war A4's .

The only Apple Green version I have ever seen of the W1, is on a period cigarette card !

Dont worry Im already looking at one or two entering the paintshop and joining the rest of the New North Eastern Railway new build collection. Just trying to find a theme to name them... 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Its about time there was not too much Southern! Area is over saturated and Hornby have done well to move out to get popular choices!

Don’t worry there will be more Southern to come in the future, something to do with how popular it has been so far... 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Original livery Grey is a slight problem area,  you see photos and Models in every possible shade of Grey, at a total guess a mid Grey is the safest version ?

Back in around 1946 my old boss bought up a vast quantity of paint from the Navy.

It was mixed 50/50 black and white to make Battleship Grey.

We tended to use Light Battleship Grey and dark Battleship Grey rather than the standard mix. 25/75 either way for those with a blank re percentages.

Many years later we adopted standard paint number codes that gave a near (ish) equivalent.

I would bet fair odds that it was this colour that was used on the locomotive. Given that the shade recorded on film could vary with the lighting conditions. I reckon it should be the target colour to aim at. Nobody can say it is wrong and my reasoning has as much historical evidence as any other explanation.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Someone posted that the “promotional” Livery is a bit of a what if. Lined Apple green as seen on some fag packet cards back in the days. Will be interesting to see what it turns out like. Grey will do nicely for me. 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hatton's have posted a short video on the brand new Hornby LNER W1 "Hush-Hush" 4-6-4 locomotives

I’ve always thought that the W1 wheel arrangement was actually a 4-6-2-2, because of the arrangement of the trailing wheels.  Hattons describe it in the video as a 4-6-4.  Have I been wrong all these years?

Either way, in its original form, the W1 is one of the most handsome steam locomotives ever made - the very epitome of Art Deco - and in spite of my modelling preference of late fifties western region; I’m going to have to have one. **sigh**.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jukebox said:

50 shades of grey, indeed...

Given the manner that the polished boiler bands stand out in the video, above, I'm *hoping* that Hornby lean toward the darker side of "Battleship Grey".

But as Bernard says, there's no definitive answer, and either works....

image.png.dc1f4047255eb41feef148b6e3e67c88.png

image.png.2ebac6b233ba309ad02737c6546ccd51.png

Personally, I think the lighter grey looks better (the lower image looks too dark to my eyes), but I agree that there is no definitive answer to the correct shade.  If picking a colour, I'd probably aim for the colour of the valances on the 'silver' A4s, which I think were a dark grey and therefore may have been the same paint.

This is one of these models that does not match my post-privatisation modelling interests and I have absolutely no use for, yet it's a locomotive (in its original form) that I've been interested in ever since I first learned about its existence over 30 years ago.  Every year in the annual wish-list poll it's the only steam locomotive that I've been vaguely tempted to vote for, but generally I don't.  I won't be pre-ordering, but once I see it in my local model shop, I could be tempted - especially if the grey matches my expectations.

13 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

I’ve always thought that the W1 wheel arrangement was actually a 4-6-2-2, because of the arrangement of the trailing wheels.  Hattons describe it in the video as a 4-6-4.  Have I been wrong all these years?

Either way, in its original form, the W1 is one of the most handsome steam locomotives ever made - the very epitome of Art Deco - and in spite of my modelling preference of late fifties western region; I’m going to have to have one. **sigh**.

I think it's generally always been referred to as being a 4-6-4.  However, I have heard other people claim that it was actually a 4-6-2-2

https://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php states that "Technically, the rear bogie was partially articulated, with the first axle in an A1-style trailing axle but with restricted movement, and the rear axle was a true pony truck. Hence, many claim the W1 was technically a 4-6-2-2, rather than a Hudson (Baltic) 4-6-4. However, officially it was initially referred to as 4-6-4 HP, although later drawings describe it as just "No. 10000" or "Class W1"."

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Personally, I think the lighter grey looks better (the lower image looks too dark to my eyes), but I agree that there is no definitive answer to the correct shade.  If picking a colour, I'd probably aim for the colour of the valances on the 'silver' A4s, which I think were a dark grey and therefore may have been the same paint.

This is one of these models that does not match my post-privatisation modelling interests and I have absolutely no use for, yet it's a locomotive (in its original form) that I've been interested in ever since I first learned about its existence over 30 years ago.  Every year in the annual wish-list poll it's the only steam locomotive that I've been vaguely tempted to vote for, but generally I don't.  I won't be pre-ordering, but once I see it in my local model shop, I could be tempted - especially if the grey matches my expectations.

Just a quick comparison between Hornby A4 silver link and the grey used on mine unfortunatlly im not sure on the colour used but the loco was painted by john houlden (gamston bank) a few years back. But i shall wait on conformation from Hornby with the single chimmney for now

Regards Ben

20200107_203634.jpg

• Like 10

New Year resolutions never last! I had promised myself that I would stop buying big stuff and concentrate on smaller, industrial locomotives but I might just ‘need’ one of these. It’s a diabolical Hornby conspiracy:tease:

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Paperlad said:

New Year resolutions never last! I had promised myself that I would stop buying big stuff and concentrate on smaller, industrial locomotives but I might just ‘need’ one of these. It’s a diabolical Hornby conspiracy:tease:

Have you tried o gauge yet, I highly recommend it!

• Funny 2

24 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Have you tried o gauge yet, I highly recommend it!

Oh what, I’ve been considering it for the past couple of years and always manage to talk myself out of it and now you mention it too. You’re a very bad person:stop:

• Funny 1