Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

1 hour ago, truffy said:

That was the alternative (and better) explanation, other than it being super secret, that I read for its nickname.

A Hornby TTS sound decoder.

Thanks truffy / Nigel,

I figured it was a sound decoder, I should have elaborated. What is specific about that particular model that would make it suitable for the Hush Hush?

Edited by Headstock

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

What is specific about that particular model that would make it suitable for the Hush Hush?

I'm not really 'genned up' on decoders, especially sound ones, but I understand that Hornby TTS sound decoders are fairly basic. I suspect that @Bishdurham's comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, hence the ":-)"

Perhaps @Bishdurham could disabuse me of any misunderstanding.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, truffy said:

I'm not really 'genned up' on decoders, especially sound ones, but I understand that Hornby TTS sound decoders are fairly basic. I suspect that @Bishdurham's comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, hence the ":-)"

Perhaps @Bishdurham could disabuse me of any misunderstanding.

Thanks, Nigel,

I probably haven't initialised emojis, so I don't see them. The same question applies to Cock 'O' the North. What exactly does a three cylinder locomotive with Lentz rotary cam poppet valve gear and a Kylchap double blast pipe sound like? The closest would probably be the 'Duck' in preserved condition.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Maybe a Hornby R8119 would work?

Very witty!  :locomotive:

(An R8119 is a TTS decoder for an English Electric Type 4 diesel...)

Personally I'd have suggested R7140 OR R7239, though for verisimilitude, R8107 might be the best bet.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:52, Bishdurham said:

I wonder what sound it made?  Quick look on Youtube and the original footage was silent.  Would a HP Boiler make different sounds?  I suppose changing the chimney would also have some difference?

The major contribution to the sound output is the release of the exhausting (low pressure, hopefully) steam through the system of an 'organ pipe' and resonating chamber which is the blast pipe, chimney and smokebox. The hoped for more efficient expansion of the steam which is a core principle behind compounding, should result in lower pressure at exhaust when running compound, and thus a quieter exhaust than from a simple loco performing equivalent work.

All that said, the water tube boiler is a very different beast to fire tube, in that there is a continuous large cross section void all the way from grate to chimney aperture, and it was noted that the outer shell was sufficiently 'worked' by the induced partial vacuum that it developed air leaks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2020 at 06:32, Hilux5972 said:

Quite interesting to see the difference inside the cab between the 2 boiler types. 

Yes. I thought that too. 

There’s definitely an opportunity for a future edition of the Engine Shed to explain more about the W1’s unique boiler and how it was driven and fired compared to a conventional locomotive. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, MrTea said:

...There’s definitely an opportunity for a future edition of the Engine Shed to explain more about the W1’s unique boiler ...

https://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php

There's a picture in that article giving a good idea of the gubbins inside the external boiler casing. Very different to the usual Stephenson fire tube boiler isn't it?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All the RAL 7016 examples I see online, although slightly varied between each one, look much darker than any photo of the loco I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by Hilux5972

Fantastic set of works images in The Engine Shed of the W1 that I've never seen before.

Also like the NEM socket on the front bogie. Could do with some of those as replacements for my A3 and A4s! to enable tender first haulage!

• Agree 1

A few take-aways from that very enjoyable update:

So, the pre-rebuild W1 will indeed be single chimney. Phew!

At last, a 1928-style non-streamlined corridor tender from Hornby. If only this was available to buy separately in LNER apple green - would be great for modelling the A1s and A3s between 1928 and 1935, like Papyrus on its 108.5mph record run. 

Interesting that they've got with a front coupling pocket after all.

I agree that the livery looks too dark, but last month's TES update showed the artwork for the Coronation Scot coaches looking almost navy blue, so perhaps it's a known quirk of the art...

Did the post-rebuild W1 really have a streamlined fairing to the top of the tender rear, around the water filler? I can't find a picture that clearly shows it. I was sure I'd read that by 1937 this was being cut away from the existing streamlined tenders as it made filling the water tank tricky, and may have even been a factor in an accident that inured a fireman. Happy to be corrected on that. Seem to remember because of the lack of tender tank fairing (plus extended front buffers and no recessed front coupling) the Hornby A4 Silver Link is only correct for a few months of the loco's life, when it had received said alterations but still carried its original livery, before a repaint into Garter Blue and fitment of cast nameplate.

Good to have a bit more to get our teeth into. Great images of the 1:1 W1 in build all those years ago, too.

Edited by OliverBytham
typo

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yeah I’m not sure about the darkness of the livery. 

Comes up darker in artwork than it does on the RAL swatch, unfortunately, but we've discussed the livery at length with William Brown, whose knowledge of the subject is unsurpassed, and we're all happy that it is correct.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

Comes up darker in artwork than it does on the RAL swatch, unfortunately, but we've discussed the livery at length with William Brown, whose knowledge of the subject is unsurpassed, and we're all happy that it is correct.

Hey @Islesy,

The best option for Hornby is to share images of a painted pre-production W1. this should give Hornby a better chance to let people review the model before it goes into production. And yes I know you'll have the best possible man to check the colour for you.

I recall you'll did this for the LMS Princess Coronation Class "Sir William Stanier FRS" where one studio pic looked to dark and in the following edition of TES you'll showed it off outside under natural light and it silenced the naysayers.