Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

WOW - I am totally in awe of the Battleship Grey Hush-Hush!

The construction photos reminds me of a whale skeleton ribcage (surely this must have been commented before).

The photos seam to indicate a real 'presence' in the model - wondering if we might get a TTS decoder for it at some point similarly to the P2?

Just need to think about a decoder address now as my numbering system will create a clash with Midland Compound 1000, (small problem to worry about)!

Cannot wait for this one which I think will become and iconic model!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Opelsi said:

Just need to think about a decoder address now as my numbering system will create a clash with Midland Compound 1000, (small problem to worry about)!

How about 464 or 4622?

Douglas Self's site has a fine selection of whale skeleton boilers for your perusal. The US contribution http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/USAhp/USAhp.htm

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It will be interesting to see how this exceptionally long loco handles our typically tight curves. Both wheels under the cab appear to me unflanged so potentially the cab will swing further out than a pacific with this arrangement. 

Converted Hornby A4's with resin conversion to Cab and Boiler this has a normal bogie under the cab with flanged wheels 30 inch curves no problem. The cab doesnt swing out very far either. The same cannot be said of a Wills kit version which was sold on when these were built.

post-7186-0-47841100-1450217354_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-66260300-1450274571_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2020 at 05:45, Hilux5972 said:

Looks like the chassis has a v shape channel above the rear most axle. Shows that the loco will be a 4-6-2-2 after all. 

097A45E5-AFCF-4BF3-A3EB-1345FA598100.jpeg

I just had a thought. Since the rear pony trucks both have Flangeless axles, the cut out in the chassis under the cab may well be for a moving tender close coupling. Makes sense since the cab will swing out so much further on curves. Hadn’t even considered that earlier. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I just had a thought. Since the rear pony trucks both have Flangeless axles, the cut out in the chassis under the cab may well be for a moving tender close coupling. Makes sense since the cab will swing out so much further on curves. Hadn’t even considered that earlier. 

It certainly looks that way. Is that a first for Hornby? 

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It certainly looks that way. Is that a first for Hornby? 

I think it may well be a first. Be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully it works better than some of the diesels that have the close coupling cam. The class 50 gave me nothing but trouble. 

41 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

... Hopefully it works better than some of the diesels that have the close coupling cam. The class 50 gave me nothing but trouble. 

There's no reason it shouldn't work well on the W1 as the linkage should be dedicated to the tender.

(Anyone who tried one of the Hornby diesels that had the close coupling cam with Hornby's R8220 (or the equivalent Roco coupler, or a Fleischmann 'Profi') which form a rigid link between the NEM pockets should have found how well it works. Unfortunately the tension lock coupler is about the worst option available as a coupler for camming coupler systems, as it forms a hinging and prone to tangle link.)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2020 at 16:36, RyanN91 said:

They both look beautiful. 

I look forward to receiving both my original W1 Hush Hush in Grey  R3841 and Rebuilt R3844. 

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few waverers have been persuaded to make an order by the renders and also the way that Hornby are choosing to tell the story of these locos via the Engine Shed blog (and other channels). It shows that well pitched and informative product marketing can build anticipation if managed well.

I'd always thought the W1 was a bit too odd for my tastes but R3480 is tempting, as is the R3843 rebuilt version in garter blue:

r3843-w1-rebuilt-lner-blue-render-side--

I reckon it's going to be an expensive Christmas for some of us!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MrTea said:

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few waverers have been persuaded to make an order by the renders and also the way that Hornby are choosing to tell the story of these locos via the Engine Shed blog (and other channels). It shows that well pitched and informative product marketing can build anticipation if managed well.

I'd always thought the W1 was a bit too odd for my tastes but R3480 is tempting, as is the R3843 rebuilt version in garter blue:

r3843-w1-rebuilt-lner-blue-render-side--

I reckon it's going to be an expensive Christmas for some of us!

Christmas delivery unlikely. The text on the Hornby website seemed to imply that the rendering of 3d would need to be included in the 2021 catalogue,  which suggests that the material physical model may not be ready.....

It would depend on when the 2021 catalogue is actually printed ? Another top secret date from Hornby ? !! , works well on getting a bit more publicity and pre orders .

I bit the bullet yesterday, and have ordered a W1 R3840 as it actually ran in service . Struggled to find one , either none available anymore to pre order  or they wanted £180 up front (no chance) . Eventually found one at Hampshire Models for a 30 pence deposit. Never used them but for 30 pence risk (if any) it is worth a go !!.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, micklner said:

It would depend on when the 2021 catalogue is actually printed ? Another top secret date from Hornby ? !! , works well on getting a bit more publicity and pre orders .

I bit the bullet yesterday, and have ordered a W1 R3840 as it actually ran in service . Struggled to find one , either none available anymore to pre order  or they wanted £180 up front (no chance) . Eventually found one at Hampshire Models for a 30 pence deposit. Never used them but for 30 pence risk (if any) it is worth a go !!.

Good point Mick regarding the catalogue. Though there's no mention of the same w.r.t  the Thompsons

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 18:45, Hilux5972 said:

Looks like the chassis has a v shape channel above the rear most axle. Shows that the loco will be a 4-6-2-2 after all. 

097A45E5-AFCF-4BF3-A3EB-1345FA598100.jpeg

that could be for the tender drawbar given the throw of the rear of the loco, rather than a pivoting rear pony truck.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

That could be for the tender drawbar given the throw of the rear of the loco, rather than a pivoting rear pony truck.

That's right...it's too far back! And quite clearly a majority of that V shaped cut-out sits behind the wheel. Just look at it in relation to those steps (if that's what they are).

On 21/08/2020 at 21:55, Norton Wood said:

I always had an intention to purchase the Rebuilt LNER W1, this photo just confirms that, glad I pre-ordered one while I could! I do like the look of the Apple Green, but like others I wouldn't get it. 

r3843-w1-rebuilt-lner-blue-render-side---supply.jpg

Re the Apple Green one, as concerns being in service this is hypothetical, so why not issue it with "British Enterprise" etched nameplates (not printed, so could be displayed at the buyer's discretion) ? I think named and in Apple Green it would look superb....

Oh course, it wouldn't be authentic, but then again the only truly authentic one is Battleship Grey un-named.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Re the Apple Green one, as concerns being in service this is hypothetical, so why not issue it with "British Enterprise" etched nameplates (not printed, so could be displayed at the buyer's discretion) ? I think named and in Apple Green it would look superb....

Oh course, it wouldn't be authentic, but then again the only truly authentic one is Battleship Grey un-named.

A good idea for the nameplates to go with the Apple Green version, I really hope it sells well...And just looking at Hatton's website the Original & Apple Green versions have sold out so fantastic work from Hornby. 

8 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Anyone noticed there are 4 type of chimney fronts on the sprues for the original built one, for future release versions?

The rebuilt versions is one piece of body, so not for this one.

w1-hush-hush-parts_2.jpg

w1-hush-hush-parts_3.jpg

I had thought this myself, now looking back at the 3D printed models that were shown on announcing day, the Original W1 on show has the double chimney. So I would imagine that Hornby have 4 front ends for us the modeler to look at purchasing. Looking at the Yeadon's book on the W1 the loco received a number of alterations before being re-built to the streamliner look. Very interesting, and highly commendable to see. 

It will be very surprising if they do the original W1 with the double chimney, it only ran in that form in testing at the end of its life  before being rebuilt, and it also requires a rather unattractive smoke deflector on the body as well.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1