Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

Yes, but as you can see in the photo's they've molded the double chimney. I think the loco had the original look but the with double chimney for a period of 2 weeks then was re-designed. Then rebuilt to the Streamlined condition. I ought to get the book solely dedicated to the W1. As I work on the footplate of std gauge locomotives and I understand how they operate but this marine boiler I find it very hard to follow in terms of how it actually worked. :chok_mini:

8 minutes ago, Norton Wood said:

Yes, but as you can see in the photo's they've molded the double chimney. I think the loco had the original look but the with double chimney for a period of 2 weeks then was re-designed. Then rebuilt to the Streamlined condition. I ought to get the book solely dedicated to the W1. As I work on the footplate of std gauge locomotives and I understand how they operate but this marine boiler I find it very hard to follow in terms of how it actually worked. :chok_mini:

Agree re chimney, cant believe they would tool up for a 2 week period ! . Not all the parts are in the photos , no valve gear and bogies , plus other small bits . I have the book on the W1 , I will look up re the Double chimney era .

Marine Boiler I think the LNER/Gresley had the same problem !!

• Like 3

It just seems to 'look more correct' with the double chimney - such a big, heavy beast.

A single little outlet just doesn't seem to be fitting, even if it ran for much longer in original design guise with the single chimney.

I agree, it's not about aesthetics, it's what is most correct, just the double chimney looks more in keeping.

Al.

The double chimney could be destined for the LNER green version? Since following on from its trial with a double chimney it would have retained it into its 'in service' livery.

Either way, the re-build streamlined version looks gorgeous and so glad I pre-ordered it when I did. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

... this marine boiler I find it very hard to follow in terms of how it actually worked. 

It is a water tube boiler (look it up on line, endless articles) typically used in stationary power plant to this day, and at one time common in large marine application; a much superior steam raiser when compared to fire tube boilers, thus the impulse to experiment with it for the steam locomotive application.

14 hours ago, micklner said:

...Marine Boiler I think the LNER/Gresley had the same problem !!

They were not alone. Several experiments with this form of boiler were attempted around the world, but the conventional fire tube boiler remained the better design for the steam railway locomotive application. The LNER repurposed the W1's watertube boiler to provide a steam supply at Darlington where it remained in service until 1965. This suggests that freed from being rattled around on a moving vehicle the basic design was successful. More here:

https://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, micklner said:

Yes, it ran in testing for about two weeks , there are no definate dates in the book.

Does seem very odd, for Hornby to do that, but I suppose it's to save some money, I mean Hornby could very well modify there P2 for the streamlined P2's.

So just my luck Rails then announce that they are no longer trading with Hornby better look else where for my W1! :sad_mini: 

• Friendly/supportive 1

This is getting silly....

I suppose this is something to do with the Duchess of Athol situation...

Does this mean that “pre release ordering” from anywhere other than the manufacturers is going to become like the lottery?

When the customer is forgotten by companies....maybe the customers will remember?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

One point to remember through any comments about a particular retailer dealing or not dealing with Hornby is that there will be no more or no fewer models of the various W1 variants released to the UK market than there was before that retailer ceased to deal with Hornby.  So apart from the fact that - as things stand at present you can no longer obtain one from Rails - there is nothing to stop anybody pre-ordering one from any other retailer they care to choose.   It is no different from the situation when Hattons ceased to be able to obtain Bachmann items - people, i.e. the end customers - took their custom elsewhere there being plenty of other retailers happy to get the business.  But however many retailers there happened to be didn't mean there were any more or any less of any particular Bachmann catalogue item.

If, for whatever reason, Hornby happen to be at a 'sell out from the factory' situation with any model they will, as has long been the case, simply apply rationing to ensure that every retailer who has placed orders will get something.  That means some retailers might not be able to meet all their customer pre-orders but that too is not a new situation, it has happened before (to me among others) so let's not be surprised if it happens again.  If Hornby 'sell out from the factory' then it is obviously financially good for them and helps their recovery plans so it's good news for the hobby.  If however they hold back supplies to retailers in order to make sure they can cover all their own pre-orders it is, in my view, a more questionable commercial practice which shows them in a poor light; if there is any rationing then in fairness to all it should be across the board including their direct sale pre-orders. 

• Agree 2

A number of posts have said that it is hard to believe that Hornby would tool up for a double chimney version as it only ran in that condition for 2weeks. Given that they are bringing our versions (nameplates, LNER green) that never ran at all I don't find it so surprising!

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

apart from the fact that - as things stand at present you can no longer obtain one from Rails - there is nothing to stop anybody pre-ordering one from any other retailer they care to choose.

Granted. And I have now placed an order with another retailer. I've also limited my order to just R3840, rather than rebuilt R3843 which I had in addition, so I've 'saved' money.

What saddens me, though, is that I only found out about this development through RMWeb. I haven't had a direct communication from Rails like others have reported here. It may be that they're working through a list (although I thought computer-based automation was 'a thing' these days), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But the main reason that I don't deal with Hattons, ironically as I posted only today, is because they pulled a cancel-order-without-notification stunt on me before when they had the hissy with Bachmann. It would be sad if Rails were that rude.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, truffy said:

What saddens me, though, is that I only found out about this development through RMWeb. I haven't had a direct communication from Rails like others have reported here. It may be that they're working through a list (although I thought computer-based automation was 'a thing' these days), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Me neither.   My order is still showing as 'pending' on their website.

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We haven't pre-sold out of any forthcoming Hornby models, and have a lot of unallocated W1s if anyone is concerned.
We have also requested additional models from those being released because of this situation.

Please contact us if you would like your name on the list.   

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, truffy said:

The statement on the Rails websites says:- "Therefore over the coming days we will be cancelling pre orders and informing customers personally." Which, as you say, would suggest they are working through a list. 

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 18:23, Hilux5972 said:

For gods sake if threads don’t stop turning to the Rails issue, every bloody thread on this website is gonna be locked. Can we just leave it now? 

Why be so nasty and aggressive? Someone was concerned that they hadn't heard from Rails and I referred to a quote from their website. I was trying to help, which I thought that was what this forum was all about.  

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Simply pointing out a fact. Andy has warned everyone enough. I don’t wanna see a thread about a new highly anticipated locomotive shut down because people can’t follow his requests. That a good enough explanation for you? 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Simply pointing out a fact. Andy has warned everyone enough. I don’t wanna see a thread about a new highly anticipated locomotive shut down because people can’t follow his requests. That a good enough explanation for you? 

In that case we all should hush hush. ;)

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1