Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Why not 'plug and play' with the bottom 3 positions then?

Optional non-functional for Royal designation, or stopping passenger.

When not plugged with a lamp, an appropriately shaped and coloured bracket can be inserted to fill the gap / hole.

Got to be possible, surely.

Al.

Eh... sounds foottery, and to be perfectly honest its somewhat irrelevant on a Locomotive that spent most of its (early) life in a workshop.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I wonder if the A1SLT is going to build No.10000 after they have finished with P2 2-8-2 2007 'Prince of Wales' and the V3 and V4. It's unlikely that they will but you never know...

The engine that's needed in preservation is an L1. A few of them too. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The class is a 2-6-4T and there are other classes that have this wheel arrangement example Standard Class 4mt (tank) of which 15 have been preserved.  Also there are different classes built by Fairburn and Stanier for the LMS. Several classes have been preserved but there are only a few locos surviving. 2-6-4Ts are small but powerful locomotives and if an L1 built from scratch, another hole in preservation would be filled.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

It’s quite an attractive locomotive, especially in LNER green. If it’s done, I hope it won’t be an exact copy. However, with good axleboxes, it might be very interesting to see how it performed, given that it had good valve gear and small driving wheels. I should imagine that it would have excellent acceleration and a useful, if limited, top speed. What could it be used for? Long trips on the main line would not be its strength, nor even most heritage lines, with their speed limits. The Great Central comes to mind. Would it be able to carry enough coal and water to haul the Jacobite? Let’s hope that any builder doesn’t copy the Hornby pony truck!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It’s quite an attractive locomotive, especially in LNER green. If it’s done, I hope it won’t be an exact copy. However, with good axleboxes, it might be very interesting to see how it performed, given that it had good valve gear and small driving wheels. I should imagine that it would have excellent acceleration and a useful, if limited, top speed. What could it be used for? Long trips on the main line would not be its strength, nor even most heritage lines, with their speed limits. The Great Central comes to mind. Would it be able to carry enough coal and water to haul the Jacobite? Let’s hope that any builder doesn’t copy the Hornby pony truck!

This is massively off topic. But L1 for me adapted to an L4 is an idea I have had for years. Reduce the power slightly so shes not over stressed and you have an ideal engine to run for preserved lines that can trundle around happily all day. Its an idea I believe in so much I have done models of the engines to match. See below and more on my "Bishop Auckland" layout thread - but this layout has now been dismantled. 

post-7347-0-40296200-1451865300.jpg.97fcc786036d350a13136c9def623c03.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, maico said:

Are these coaches available RTR in the right colour scheme ?

Screenshot_2020-10-08 Railways_Collection_London_amp_North_Eastern_Railway_1923-1947_-_October_2020 pdf.png

Those look like they have a cream strip above the windows instead of the umber strip. Not aware of any that  

Hornby has released in this colour scheme. 

12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If as I suspect these are 12 wheeled stock ,they have been out of production for a long while from Hornby.May be available on eBay but at a premium 

They look like 8 wheel to me

7 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Those look like they have a cream strip above the windows instead of the umber strip. Not aware of any that  

Hornby has released in this colour scheme. 

And the brake section of the first carriage is all cream above the waist. AFAIK all the Pullman Hornby have produced have brown on the brake area and on the cant rail above the windows. 

Just had a look at that video.

I'm happy with my original order - original 10000 and BR Green 60700.

ALL are absolutely stunning - fantastic job Hornby!!

British Enterprise is the only one with the few-months-only double chimney as well.

LNER Green one certainly looks classy ...

Garter Blue - again, another coup - looks fantastic.

Model of the Year? ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Just had a look at that video.

I'm happy with my original order - original 10000 and BR Green 60700.

ALL are absolutely stunning - fantastic job Hornby!!

British Enterprise is the only one with the few-months-only double chimney as well.

LNER Green one certainly looks classy ...

Garter Blue - again, another coup - looks fantastic.

Model of the Year? ....

Yep I’ve ordered the same as you atom. They look fantastic working and I can’t wait to get my hands on them. 

I too am reaffirmed in my opinion of the model I’ve pre-ordered - ‘British Enterprise’ is the model for me.

afraid I can’t find in myself to like the LNER green at all - to my eye it just does not suit the engine shape of the original loco. Doesn’t have the lines of the Pacifics and it’s just too bulbous. 

I also have a slight concern around the robustness of the handrail on the front of the unrebuilt esamples - it looks a mite flimsy to my eyes. Time will tell I suppose

Nonetheless, a spectacular model from Hornby which will instantly get my money when available

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for taking the trouble of posting the video Mick. They all look great! I have ordered 60700 which is fine but having seen the video the loco in original condition with HP boiler looks so impressive! Gresley really was a big engine man not afraid to take risks.

We can only speculate what his proposed 4-8-2 and/or 4-6-4 production loco's would have looked like. Even if this great engineer had lived another 10 years these loco's would not have been built in WW2 (Perhaps Gresley could have invited back Bulleid to make his case to the LNER Board/Government?!) and I suspect that electrification may have taken the money after WW2 assuming the LNER continued.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

12 hours ago, micklner said:

Working video here

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/video-hornbys-w1-4-6-4s-action-oo

Garter Blue version with a streamlined fairing around the water filler ??

Very nice - thanks for posting.

I did notice there's a platform clearance/fragility issue with the steps behind the cylinders on the unrebuilt version - they are gone in some shots, there in others, and hanging loose on the original condition model at one point.  Something for operators to watch for when they do gauging trials on layouts for the first time...!

Cheers

Scott

• Agree 1

I noticed the 'wobbly steps issue', which curiously straightened out next shot ...

Obviously LNER would have paid attention to the loading gauge but everything looks so 'marginal' in comparison to other locomotives - quite a beast!!

Now that we've seen these - and seen / heard the Q/A on the video - what would be the typical delay between that and them appearing for purchase?

Al.