Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

I’m very tempted by the garter blue version but it’s a shame that Hornby have done it in immediately post rebuilding guise, with the larger fairings over the tender. I imagine more LNER modellers would choose to model 1938 rather than 1937 as there would be more A4s around. The fairings were cut back or removed in early 1938. I suppose one could alter the fairings themselves or buy an A4 tender.

• Like 1

Mouth watering!

Always hope one would come along RTR.

Could not resits two, original and garter Blue.

Thank you Hornby - very excited about these.

My list of wanted models has shrunk and shrunk.

Not that many left now!  ^_^

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

I’m very tempted by the garter blue version but it’s a shame that Hornby have done it in immediately post rebuilding guise, with the larger fairings over the tender. I imagine more LNER modellers would choose to model 1938 rather than 1937 as there would be more A4s around. The fairings were cut back or removed in early 1938. I suppose one could alter the fairings themselves or buy an A4 tender.

It's rather interesting, I own 2510 Quicksilver & 4489 Dominion of Canada, I was looking through my Yeadon's, and there's a 4 month period where the W1 has the Fairings, while 2510 is still in Silver Grey & 4489 has just gained the bell. So really my Streaks all fit in between March - May 1938. And well the P2 I got that because it's nice to have 4 Premiere Streaks ;)

IMG_2241.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I hung on ordering until a few more pictures were available and it now seems R3840 (which I was going to order) is sold out!:(

Have you checked most sites online, as all the orders from Rails have probably moved to Hattons or Kernow, perhaps even getting it from a local model shop? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I hung on ordering until a few more pictures were available and it now seems R3840 (which I was going to order) is sold out!:(

The model cetre was taking pre-orders on all versions the last time i checked - that was a couple of days ago though

EDIT: yup, still appear to be taking the pre-orders for it.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/r3840

Edited by Edge
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, atom3624 said:

British Enterprise is the only one with the few-months-only double chimney as well.

Really? Perhaps I've missed something, but it looks like both the rebuilds have the double chimney.

10 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I noticed the 'wobbly steps issue', which curiously straightened out next shot ...

8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I left those steps off on my kit version as it was obvious that they would end up fouling platforms or whatever. It seems from the Video, Hornby have had  a hard time too as it looks like the steps were almost knocked off.

It seemed to me that the steps fouling the platform was as much the result of curved platforms as anything. Shouldn't be a problem with straight platforms, should it?

• Like 1

It maybe the lighting again used in these photographs, but the BR green livery on W1 60700 looks far lighter in colour than the recently released Princess Queen Maud. 

The finish is more akin to the BR/GWR King class.

Hopefully, this is a pre-production paint sample which will be rectified.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edge said:

The model cetre was taking pre-orders on all versions the last time i checked - that was a couple of days ago though

EDIT: yup, still appear to be taking the pre-orders for it.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/r3840

Just placed an order, never used them before so I'll see what the service is like.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, truffy said:

Really? Perhaps I've missed something, but it looks like both the rebuilds have the double chimney.

British Enterprise is a double chimney 'original' or non-rebuilt.

The non-named 10000 has the single chimney - this is the point I'm making.

Of course, the rebuilt ones are with the double chimney.

Al.

• Agree 1

Just for those interested. I was looking through the Yeadon's book which covers the A4's & W1. The W1 was fitted with the double chimney between 1-10/5/1935 She did not return to Darlington for further work till the 6-10/7/1935. At which point the locomotive was fitted with a hood over the top of the loco. So the named version if you so wish to, by removing the nameplates printed in the side you could have the W1 running with the double for a short 2 month period. At which point the W1 sat in the paint shop till 13/10/1936 until she was moved to Doncaster for her rebuild. 

A very interesting part of the loco's history at that point, The loco had been "Operational" for a total of 1,888, it was in works for a total of 1,105 days. Giving modelers 783 days of operational modelling. To be historically accurate. However I do find the most interesting is it was diagramed & photographed in original condition of it leaving Kings Cross hauling the Non Stop Flying Scotsman Express in July 1930. 

Very very interesting, I may need to pick up the book solely dedicated to this locomotive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

It maybe the lighting again used in these photographs, but the BR green livery on W1 60700 looks far lighter in colour than the recently released Princess Queen Maud. 

The finish is more akin to the BR/GWR King class.

Hopefully, this is a pre-production paint sample which will be rectified.

It's obviously a very long time since I saw 60700 and light and lighting always plays tricks with colour (and age probably does as well :jester: ) but it definitely looks somewhat on the light side to me.  However as I travelled behind the engine, and cabbed it, it is one of those 'something specials' which while totally out of place in my modelling interests is as near irresistible as it is possible to be - definitely in the 'must have' category.

Coincidentally my dad cabbed the original version when it was one one of its exhibition tours round the LNER tours but I really do have to draw a line somewhere (alas).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Never saw 60700 but knew of itand some of it's history when it was still extant.

I was fascinated by HNG's unusual locos such as the original 10000 and the P1s & P2s but being a Brummie never saw much ex LNER motive power. Thompson's B1s were the only "easterners" regularly seen (occasionally the odd A1) in Birmingham on NE-SW cross country services.

To me the original W1 is a must have curio.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/10/2020 at 07:50, JamieR4489 said:

Well if looking at the unpainted sample parts (from a engine shed a while ago), the tender fairing was a separate piece, as the rest of the tender parts seem to be existing toolings, or at least modified with the apple green having the coal rails)

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Well if looking at the unpainted sample parts (from a engine shed a while ago), the tender fairing was a separate piece, as the rest of the tender parts seem to be existing toolings, or at least modified with the apple green having the coal rails)

Ah yes I hadn't seen that. The fairing over the water space does indeed look removable but the one over the front of the bunker appears to be moulded integrally, so one would still need to cut it back themselves.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Ah yes I hadn't seen that. The fairing over the water space does indeed look removable but the one over the front of the bunker appears to be moulded integrally, so one would still need to cut it back themselves.

I missed that part! The front of the bunker does indeed have to be cut back for later variations 

1 hour ago, 313201 said:

I like the LNER Apple Green on the loco, pity it never carried it in real life.

Well it never carried the nameplates or Apple Green(albeit plates were cast and it was illustrated wearing apple, but those aside, wouldn't be entirely out of the realms of possibility for them to do a couple "what-if" liveries for either W1 build. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, davidw said:

Plates were cast for Pegasus,in BR days too but never fitted. Strange, the name was very apt.

Oh really? I never knew that. I thought BE was the only name it was intended to carry. May have to look at a custom set of plates for the BR version then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Oh really? I never knew that. I thought BE was the only name it was intended to carry. May have to look at a custom set of plates for the BR version then. 

page 104 of "Yeadons locomotive names vol 1"

247 developments already do a plate.

https://www.247developments.co.uk/fictitious_names.html

I've a W1 converted from an A4 some time ago - I almost named it but changed my mind

• Thanks 1