Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

On 25/11/2020 at 11:37, tractionman said:

Since it's sold out at Hornby and retailers, the demand is there, so hopefully a slight delay will allow for a few more to be made !

Cheers,

Keith

*sigh*.  It isn't sold out at the retailers, just those with online pre-orders.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Pre-Order

New Tool

£199.99

Item Code: R3840

Expected: Spring 2021

Qty-+

Pre-Order Nowb

h Add to Wishlist

cAVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOWDon't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.

Pre-order FAQ's

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-class-w1-hush-hush-4-6-4-10000-era-3.html

26 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Pre-Order

New Tool

£199.99

Item Code: R3840

Expected: Spring 2021

Qty-+

Pre-Order Nowb

h Add to Wishlist

cAVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOWDon't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.

Pre-order FAQ's

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-class-w1-hush-hush-4-6-4-10000-era-3.html

Weird, that's my bad though! 

If you look it up on the site, you can't find the listing. But if you have the link, you can see it isn't sold out

My apologies! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I've just looked in pre-orders and all 5 versions are available to pre-order at this moment.

If you click on each of the unrebuilt versions they are shown as 'sold out'.

Edit: I am referring here to Derails not Hornby.

Edited by teaky

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

So the question is, have they increased production, or have they cut retailer allocations. 

There is a third option.

Hold back a larger than usual percentage of the total to sell at full price and monitor the situation, as to hold for direct sale or release to retailers, at a later date.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

There is a third option.

Hold back a larger than usual percentage of the total to sell at full price and monitor the situation, as to hold for direct sale or release to retailers, at a later date.

Bernard

Given the glut of LMR coaches, when two weeks ago they were sold out, my guess is its retailers that have been doing the speculating.

Now the bubble has burst.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2020 at 11:24, The Stationmaster said:

And alas Hornby have something of a track record of quickly reordering and over-ordering for a second run when the first sells really well or sells out.  Provided they have made a profit on the first run it might make more sense to wait before the second or to stagger the variety of versions they do?

I sometimes wonder if thats a cultural thing, with mentality going back to the days where 1 item was in the catalog for years.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

or is this the left overs from Rails...i imagine they had allocations up to the 100's, that's all gone back into the pot now

I think you may have hit the nail firmly on the head!

The latest copy of the Gresley Observer has a picture of a small fitting above the front number of the rebuilt W1, its purpose being unknown.  Now there's a challenge for Hornby!

The article also recalls the electric lighting fitted to the rebuilt loco, including that fitted under the driving wheel valances for easier inspection.  An interesting challenge for DCC?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The article also recalls the electric lighting fitted to the rebuilt loco, including that fitted under the driving wheel valances for easier inspection

Way back, when the W1 was original in CAD, that option was given some consideration, before being dismissed due to cost implications...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hornby's lovely pre-production image just simply begs to be put into an evocative scene, not that I would know if the prototype ever created much smoke....  :)

Of course I have one on pre-order. How else could I sleep at night, if not for the prospect of such a fine model of this exemplar of the great age of steam?

I have changed quite a few proportions in the pic from Hornby's excellent original.   I will remove it if the editing offends.

I particularly love the rendition of the fine details in the Hornby model. Take a bow, all who are involved at Hornby and of course Islesy.  All the best in your new position at Accurascale.  

I am continually astonished by the quality of modern RTR

10000_W1_hush_Image4abcdefg_r1820a.jpg.b5902c8488a137d23794bd49ec49e9f6.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Just had a email from Hornby to say that the W1’s are due for release in July 2021, I’m not sure if that’s for just R3844 BR 60700 or all of them.  I hope that’s useful for some people who want to order one.

• Informative/Useful 3