Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

5 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

There are photographs of decorated samples of all 8 W1s in the latest edition of Hornby's Engine Shed blog:

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-or-not-p2-question

I read this bit as saying that it's still got some problems and they're not ready to go to production, and to me that suggests delivery date slippage.  I'm sure we'd all rather they got it right of course, so they're doing the right thing, just hope it doesn't mean a price increase.

Since we last discussed the W1, there have been significant production changes introduced as part of a push to guarantee that these models meet stringent quality expectations. These latest decoration samples feature improved paint finishes as well as being assembled to an even higher standard. A few changes are still required, namely the inclusion of additional cab detail to bring the level of detail in-line with other Hornby upcoming releases.

So basically somebody has finally been reading the bad, as well as good press, and watching the 'enthusiastic amateur' reviews, and comparing fact with initial impressions ...

It deserves a WELL DONE Hornby I reckon!

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2021 at 19:42, Steamport Southport said:

Don't worry about it. I got confused some pages back.  :laugh:

I know I originally wanted one as it was at the 1930 L&M Centenary. I'm not that sure now.

I'll wait for the feeding frenzy to finish.

Jason

Did you get a good view?

:jester:

• Funny 2

Hornby mentions additional cab detail, so I am really curious whether Hornby will take into account the changes in the cab for the 1935 version. According to my technical understanding there should be cranks instead of levers for gear adjustment.

Also curious whether the position of the lever for the drain cocks will be corrected, in the last photos these were in the half open position, but that's just a small thing.

On 30/07/2021 at 19:44, atom3624 said:

So basically somebody has finally been reading the bad, as well as good press, and watching the 'enthusiastic amateur' reviews, and comparing fact with initial impressions ...

It deserves a WELL DONE Hornby I reckon!

Al.

It looks as if they might’ve addressed the under-boiler seam. If so, props. But better photos would confirm if that’s the case. 

• 3 weeks later...

This has reminded me that I contacted Hornby about the trailing wheels and received a very polite reply to the effect that these and the P2s will include flanged wheels, adding that all future models will include flanged wheels. Not only that but flanged wheels for the A2s are in production and will be available through customer services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask a silly question??. Although I saw most of the A4's (eleven in one red letter day at Grantham!), I never saw 60700, just wondered whether it would have ever ventured anywhere close to LMR metals?...........Probably get one anyway but thought I'd ask.

Mike

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, ikks said:

Can I ask a silly question??. Although I saw most of the A4's (eleven in one red letter day at Grantham!), I never saw 60700, just wondered whether it would have ever ventured anywhere close to LMR metals?...........Probably get one anyway but thought I'd ask.

Mike

Newark?

55019 (1Z63); Newark Flat Crossing; 09-04-2000

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris Chewter said:

Popped into the Hornby visitors centre in Margate and was slightly surprised to find a W1 sat behind the glass in one of the display cabinets.

8773DA67-C56C-4EFD-B96E-D8D9B1BC0683.jpeg.303f0f7b7192b9563f87a6693a14b966.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chris Chewter said:

Popped into the Hornby visitors centre in Margate and was slightly surprised to find a W1 sat behind the glass in one of the display cabinets.

8773DA67-C56C-4EFD-B96E-D8D9B1BC0683.jpeg.303f0f7b7192b9563f87a6693a14b966.jpeg

Is that the forthcoming HD Merchant Navy languishing in the background?

You didn't by and chance take some pictures of that loco did you Chris ?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ikks said:

Thanks....great photo

Mike

Errm - you do know I wasn't being completely serious?  The LMR metals cross left to right in the picture (Nottingham to Lincoln line).  Like the Deltic in the photo, the W1 would have got very close indeed to them, but only briefly.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, no I didn't but thanks anyway...............Think I'll still get one and apply rule 1, I guess it's all fun though. Haven't been in the UK for 50 yrs. so the memory's a bit fuzzy.

Rgds.........Mike

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2021 at 17:47, ikks said:

Sorry, no I didn't but thanks anyway...............Think I'll still get one and apply rule 1, I guess it's all fun though. Haven't been in the UK for 50 yrs. so the memory's a bit fuzzy.

Rgds.........Mike

Just a thought.Maybe not close to LMR metals as such but 60700 would have been seen cheek by jowl as it were with LMR locos on a daily basis at York.To stretch a point even further ,though there probably is no evidence for it,on occasions when the ECML was out of action between Newcastle and Edinburgh due to flooding for instance,ER Edinburgh bound trains were diverted to Carlisle via Hexham and thence northbound.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

W1 had a very intimate contact with the Midland lines at Peterborough in the 50's when it derailed north of the station, when it was re-railed it was hauled north on the Midland rails.

manna

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2021 at 18:26, Michael Hodgson said:

I read this bit as saying that it's still got some problems and they're not ready to go to production, and to me that suggests delivery date slippage.  I'm sure we'd all rather they got it right of course, so they're doing the right thing, just hope it doesn't mean a price increase.

... but of course it has gone up - quite a bit.

Order cancelled.

• Agree 2

I wonder how all of the accounting adds up just the same.

People who lost their pre-orders through the 're-structuring of the agents base' - tier system ... sales lost.

People who remained on pre-order, but were too annoyed after the price increases ... sales lost.

Margins may be higher, but are they proportionately high enough to compensate for how Hornby have father around?

Al.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I wonder how all of the accounting adds up just the same.

People who lost their pre-orders through the 're-structuring of the agents base' - tier system ... sales lost.

People who remained on pre-order, but were too annoyed after the price increases ... sales lost.

Margins may be higher, but are they proportionately high enough to compensate for how Hornby have father around?

Al.

My pre-orders at Hornby.com are being honoured at the older price, so I don't see why retailers arent allowed to honour their pre-order prices (haven't yet seen evidence they are not, I should add ).

Your also more guarenteed to get delivery from Hornby.

The difference between RRP and retail discount is only 10% and that was eroded in just 6 months anyway.

if retailers arent allowed, or perhaps choosing not to, to honour their pre-increase prices, when Hornby increases theirs.., yet knowing will Hornby honour its own price commitments… then as a customer your best bet to offset long term price rises on long wait delivery items, is to order from Hornby direct… if the price doesnt rise.. you can always cancel and revert to a retailer. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

My pre-orders at Hornby.com are being honoured at the older price, so I don't see why retailers arent allowed to.

Good point. I had the option to cancel due to this  last week in a thoughtful email from Derails. My order stands. My reasoning being….Why should retailers suffer loss of income ?  I’ll take the hit ,reluctantly. My opinion of Hornby has not seen an improvement.No surprises there. Enough said. And so the world turns….

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2021 at 14:41, Hilux5972 said:

Yeah but that’s not just the W1. It’s most of Hornby’s range it seems

It certainly does with most locomotives now being in the range £180 - £225 even those where development costs have long been recovered. I guess, like most suppliers of anything it seems, its the rising costs of, well everything, so its not Hornby's fault is it? Or is there a bit of opportunism operating?

Its all going terribly well......

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2021 at 11:12, adb968008 said:

You’re also more guarenteed to get delivery from Hornby.

Remember the furore when Hornby sent discounted bundles out soon after release undercutting retailers and selling direct a few years ago? Well Hornby are setting the discount rules and if they do honour their price it’ll probably be much the same as the retail prices which used to slightly undercut them. Gaugemaster have long had a policy of not undercutting their wholesale customers but Hornby doesn’t seem that concerned so are they hoping in the long run to push sales to their online warehouse and slowly pull back from shops? Is the TV tie in something they think they can live off long term to keep the name in the public eye?

There seems to be a move away from seeing high street shops as essential windows. Is that because there are less already or just the better margins on cutting out wholesale and shops? 
Only they know but despite Simon K saying in the latest trailer “we’re selling fun” it doesn’t seem to be too focused on giving goodwill too at present ;) 

To be honest where Hornby goes head to head on a product my feeling now is to go to the other guy if it’s a decent model because I don’t like the way they are handling the competition. That said the Terrier came out as a better value model than the Rails one in my opinion so I’m still focused on the end product. 
I think Hornby should have kept it’s ‘hard nose’ to itself and not bragged about it on tv as that’s what really left me thinking they’ve overstepped the invisible line. I see the protecting their jobs and company but they didn’t need to go so blatantly Dick Dastardly on the opposition and shops. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3