Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2021 at 07:59, Ian Hargrave said:

Just a thought.Maybe not close to LMR metals as such but 60700 would have been seen cheek by jowl as it were with LMR locos on a daily basis at York.To stretch a point even further ,though there probably is no evidence for it,on occasions when the ECML was out of action between Newcastle and Edinburgh due to flooding for instance,ER Edinburgh bound trains were diverted to Carlisle via Hexham and thence northbound.

But did it?   I never saw 60700 north of Doncaster but saw it, and travelled behind it, south of there.  It seemed to work one of those short Top Shed diagrams which saw it returning south from either Peterborough or Grantham but no doubt those more familiar with it than my no more than twice yearly visits to the ECML north of Selby will know more about is later working life than I did.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

So has there been any word from Hornby on whether they'll make Autumn? Or are these looking like they're gonna be pushed back again?

Hornby rep visited Scoonie Hobbies and my dad was asking about the Azuma and was advised Hornby have a container on the way but has been delayed by the hold ups at ports in the USA and now expected mid December. Possible they could be in that delivery but it shows how things are delayed totally out with their control.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Autumn is late this year.  Some of the trees still haven't turned yet.  It's this Gobal Warming you know. 

I blame Boris - we won't be allowed to have the main leaf fall until after this Climate Change conference he's having in Glasgow.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Disappointed not to have a better estimate as to when these will arrive. Nothing to even say whether it’s currently on its way or not. 

Things might be different in your part of the world but most of us are still suffering from two major events and the transport system is well and truly in a mess, Patience dear boy.

Bernard

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, guarded said:

Will this be featured on the Hornby TV series does anyone know?I would love to see more about all the research that has gone into it and would think it would make for a great programme.

Yes it would be good to see the research Hornby have done for the W1.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

good little piece, listening to him he mentions a couple of times about using bit for other things, in this instance the casting for the chassis is basically the same as the A4, now what did someone spot in the TV show on monday or last weeks, a EP of an A4. I wonder..............................

46 minutes ago, Ighten said:

Not sure if any of this is new material or not TBH

I hadn’t seen that, thanks for posting. I have a Hush Hush ordered but oh rats! Now he has me interested in the Big Boy. Why? Well, we have a narrow gauge Fairlie and a 00 Beyer Garratt. The Big Boy would represent the third major variety of articulated loco. Wrong scale, I know.

50 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

good little piece, listening to him he mentions a couple of times about using bit for other things, in this instance the casting for the chassis is basically the same as the A4, now what did someone spot in the TV show on monday or last weeks, a EP of an A4. I wonder..............................

Not quite. He's saying the real loco was unsuccessful in its original 'Hush-Hush' form and was rebuilt as a conventional boiler'd loco with A4 streamlining, which it was.

Hornby is therefore producing models of the rebuilt loco (such as R3843, the garter blue W1 EP seen on the TV show) which will use the same chassis as the grey W1, wearing a different body tool, as SK says in the video. 

Doesn't mean Hornby definitely isn't considering updating or retooling its A4, but there haven't been any clues or hints of such a project. 

• Informative/Useful 1