Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Premium

Lots of anticipation and excitment! Anyone would think it was (nearly) Christmas...

......Me included, I have 60700 and 10000 on order. Really looking forward to these models. 60700 destined for the Bournemouth Belle racing through Basingstoke.......

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paftrain said:

…….oh, and Hornby said it was ready for despatch last Tuesday.

Same although the on checking mine now it comes up "try again" when i saw hermes was doing the delivery wasnt very hopefull to be honest. I shall wait and it might be waiting for me when i get home .... maybe i can hope.

• RMweb Premium

I popped into Monk Bar Models earlier to top up with supplies, and they tried to sell me one.....   I managed to persuade them (and me) that I only wanted 60700.  It did look very nice, though!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Markn said:

That's where I just got one from. Nice shop, was in there last Sat and very friendly and helpful.

Are you home yet then? Taken videos and pictures yet? Why not? Hurry up! Waiting waiting :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Mine has been dispatched with DPD. Any horror stories I should be worried about with them? 

Not with my experiences with dpd normally 1 hour time slot tracking to see excatly where the van is and your drop number and the drop there at (x numbers away from you) and who the driver is too, dpd would be my preffered delivery.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Are you home yet then? Taken videos and pictures yet? Why not? Hurry up! Waiting waiting :jester:

Mail order this time unfortunately :( although it was shipped straight away by UPS so shouldn't  be too long :yahoo:

13 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Got an email With a tracking link but no tracking number so no help really lol. 

The last three orders from Hattons using DPD the tracking link was still showing "received shipping information but still awaiting receipt of the item from the store",  even though I had the item in my hand.    At no stage was the tracking updated.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info

• RMweb Gold

Picked up mine from Paul at Alton Model Centre this afternoon, very impressive and as per usual with Paul, it was given a good run around the test track - very smooth performance. For me it is definitely a Rule 1 purchase but one that really impresses and delights me. Well done Hornby and thanks for ordering it for me Paul. Looking forward now to the 'Prince of Wales' - that new 'train' according to Yesterday!

all the very best

Godfrey

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Morgenergy said:

BUYER BEWARE!

For the love of all things choo-choo, don't place your orders yet. I'm gonna play the party pooper here and advise folk to steer FAR clear of this model, unless you can see it for yourself before parting with your money.

Please find attached photos of the issues.

My local shop took delivery of eight of these this morning: four of R3840, and four R3841. I don't post here very much but I can't help but share what I learned; I probably shouldn't be doing this and fear the consequences, but  fellow punters have a right to know what disaster Hornby will quite nonchalantly give you for the £219.99 RRP...

The first unpacked was in preparation for photos - RE, listing on online shop. The bulkhead forward of the coal bunker was snapped off. hush1.jpg.5e8fb89acd0a3f4a9def5c91e8bea875.jpg

Smashing value!

At this point, the remaining locos were inspected. Another was found to suffer from the same broken tender bulkhead, totaling two with this same damage. A curious case, as the block of ice packaging is clearly moulded in order to shield this raised part and it's pretty sturdy plastic otherwise - it would require some serious blunt pressure to recreate that breakage, and the boxes were mint, never mind also packed in their shipping cartons. They were boxed in this broken condition, I feel.hush2.jpg.8a3d31acf3e11e1079ae89d13d70e8de.jpg

The curious thing about this damage in particular is NO other parts on the affected tenders were damaged. I've of the belief that, if this was related to shipping, more would be loose or cracked and the box would be suitably scarred.

Another unfortunate example had the tender top completely detached that fell off when the packing was unfolded - the entire screw thread so to say appear to be a separate piece (?) glued or molded (or both? A bodged factory repair perhaps!) to the underside of the tender top. It had sheered clean off. 

hush5.jpg.9b65cde3dbe56bbd5fbbed871c9d59f6.jpg

Poor. Just, so poor.

One was found to have cylinders that were dipping forward a bit, god knows what problems to the valve gear this could've caused. Again, no signs this was done in transit, and something I've seen before with Princess Royals, Britannias and A2/2s.

hush3.jpg.5a20b4e476ac36060a1316462eb7a191.jpg

''Oh look, a penny!''

The final one that had external issues was arguably most interesting: the folding 'block of ice' had a hole in it around the cab area, with fragments of both the packaging AND the model - presumably remains of tender steps - wiggling around within. This one was not investigated further, so more damage to the locomotive's right-hand side could be so, but we daren't look :unsure:.

No signs this was done externally either, the card sleeve was flawless. Looked like I had shot the folding bit with an BB gun, what with how the packing appears to have shattered.

And weirdly, the plastic sleeve isn't pierced at all!

hush4.jpg.d5346beb58df6dccac44914d3613adc3.jpgThe mind boggled with this one..

Otherwise a very pretty model.

Of the eight that were shipped, only three were sell-able. Shop essentially ended up with a potential £1100 of broken stock. How can a local model shop survive with that sort of dilemma, in an already challenging industry? And not just that, but how does Hornby allow these models to be shipped like this, at the premium price tag? It's inexcusable.

I was using many a naughty word helping unpack these things earlier today. I was heartbroken. It's SHAMEFUL.

Thank you for the heads up on this. Mine is coming to New Zealand so I won’t be sending back as that is far too much a hassle but I will fix myself if needed. Definitely a shame for such an highly anticipated and costly model. If you should happen to find anymore issues if you take the loco out of the ice block packaging, could you post more images please? Would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content
  • Friendly/supportive 3

With my interest in this model re-awakened by its arrival in the UK I was pleased to see a couple of retailers with R3840/1 in stock so registered with each and created and account, only to find that neither have a delivery option for NZ . An Email enquiry might fix it but with time difference and so on I chose not to pursue the sales.  I'm sure they will sell regardless, and hope those damaged ones a couple of messages ago are not common, like Hilux5972 I would repair rather than return, unless it was very serious with such as dead motor or major damage.

Irritating that one of the shops says in its very extensive terms and conditions that it WILL post to NZ.

Edit 2, 

I should have mentioned that I have an option to have a UK seller send the model to the NZ Post agency address in Southall London so shouldn't complain, but that requires paying VAT and NZ tax and of course a fairly hefty NZ Post fee taking the cost to well over UKP250.

Given the difficulty in sending items overseas right now I absolutely do not blame a UK retailer from being wary of complications, delays, and so on.

Edited by robmcg
additions
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s incredibly sad and bad, Morgenergy, and thank you for posting those photo’s and information. The warning is definitely heeded. 

Well, that’s why I’m making the journey, in person, to Monk Bar Models tomorrow afternoon. I’ll have them all checked out if necessary, but hopefully they will not be damaged. Also to get the model tested for good running on the test track will uncover any issues with it’s running. Thank goodness I can get to the shop in person.

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

31 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

alas, they appear to have been dropped from a great height and the container company has covered it up, perhaps a polite email to Hornby may clarify this - use your photo' s and relevant reference numbers, as they will speed things up.

I'd agree that being dropped in transit was the case: as I say, that tender breakage would need some serious oompf to snap the plastic. But with no marks, scuffs or otherwise on the packaging, my mind can only wonder. It's very strange.

The shop owner quickly got to emailing his Hornby rep and is rightfully rather upset, what with having orders for the loco from excited regulars ready to spend! I feel all this needs properly addressing, however: it's happening so often now and with so many nice models at that. The Mk3 DVT and Thompson A2 shenanigans still make me chuckle in sheer disbelief.

50 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Thank you for the heads up on this. Mine is coming to New Zealand so I won’t be sending back as that is far too much a hassle but I will fix myself if needed. Definitely a shame for such an highly anticipated and costly model. If you should happen to find anymore issues if you take the loco out of the ice block packaging, could you post more images please? Would be greatly appreciated. 

If they're not sent back by the time I'm there again I'll have a nosey. Of course there's no doubt there are more on the way - Hornby's supply tendency is some now, then loads in a few weeks when everybody has already got one. Hoping it's only us, though!

34 minutes ago, Market65 said:

That’s incredibly sad and bad, Morgenergy, and thank you for posting those photo’s and information. The warning is definitely heeded. 

Well, that’s why I’m making the journey, in person, to Monk Bar Models tomorrow afternoon. I’ll have them all checked out if necessary, but hopefully they will not be damaged. Also to get the model tested for good running on the test track will uncover any issues with it’s running. Thank goodness I can get to the shop in person.

Rob.

I wish you my best in that, Rob, and truly hope the situation here is exclusive, if unfortunate. It is such a crisp looking thing in person, very weighty. Bloomin' huge n' all!

Before noticing the damage, ''Model of the Year'' sprung to mind. I've my fingers crossed for those who's W1s are enroute to their depots and loco sheds.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Very sad circumstance in the preceding posts. I'm inclined to think damage was done at the factory with ham-fisted unskilled packers. A dropped package or container wouldn't help.

In spite of this I have found a seller with three R3840s in stock and it's TMC., from whom I buy an occasional model and they have always been excellent, so I bought one.

One retailer in my web search claimed 16 in stock, Model Railways Direct, so they are around if you spend hours looking. 3 on Ebay right now at or near RRP.

I'm hoping the damaged ones in the earlier post are a 'bad batch' and not general.

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Looking forward now to the 'Prince of Wales' -

all the very best

Godfrey

Or you could have "Duke of Rothesay" instead:D

I wonder whether Hornby will supply both sets of plates?

• Funny 1