Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

I’m still waiting for mine to come into stock with my chosen model shop !

Out of curiosity ..

I stand to be corrected  here, but why do these seem to be in such short supply ?

I am not aware of the loco being a limited edition.

It’s just the batches Hornby chose. Most shops have had allocations reduced as noted on here. My local had his reduced by two after ordering to his allocation!

Sadly this is now Hornby’s standard we expect on ordering. It’s happened with the Pecketts, Rocket, APT and W1 I’ve ordered and it’s only the cooperation of two local shops that meant most people get at least most of what they originally ordered. We can only guess why, manufacturer reducing batch, more sales on their ‘ring fenced’ Hornby website stock etc. 

It would be very interesting to ask Simon Kohler why this keeps happening on his little tv show ;) 

Personally I’m beginning to suspect it’s Hornby trying to make their website the only reliable source and pushing retailers into second as even Tier 1 shops have their allocations changed after they’ve ordered from them. 
Whatever, it’s still not doing them any favours with image as the retailers are quite happy to tell customers who changed the goalposts!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Hornby marketing tactics appear to be lets only make batches sized to what we to what we know we can sell based on pre-order sales, whereas free marketing and bigger production runs would see economies of scale.

Edit - these floating adverts are making posting very awkward.

Edited by RAF96
Angst
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Hornby marketing tactics appear to be lets only make batches sized to what we to what we know we can sell based on pre-order sales, whereas free marketing and bigger production runs would see economies of scale.

That would be true if Hornby controlled production.

From what I see of things it is the Chinese factories who allocate the production slots.

It is the age old problem for Hornby, as many companies in other fields have found out, of not being able to make bigger margins when times are good in order to knuckle down when times are hard.

They must be wringing their hands in despair at not being able to supply the demands of the market place over the last eighteen months or so. Unfortunately the damage problem is going to add to their woes.

Bernard

• Like 1

Just out of interest, for those who ordered direct from Hornby, how long did it take to process orders? I may seem a little impatient but i placed my order on the 6th Dec, and its still listed as processing. And now the website is saying OOS. Surely it doesnt take that long to post 1 out?  

It appears to me that many of the smaller retailers are suffering under the "Tier System". Long term, it won't do the trade or the hobby any good.

Such a shame that so many people are dissapointed with the condition of their models when delivered. There is no excuse for bad QC** with a locomotive that is priced in the same ball park as some european models.

I've never had a model with polystrene packaging arrive damaged. I can understand the reduction of single use polystrene (like you wouild get with a domestic appliance) but I can't see a huge envbironmental issue with the amount used to safely ship & store delicate models.

Sometimes, I form the opinion that Hornby are their own biggest enemy.

** Surely, packaging is part of the QC ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That would be true if Hornby controlled production.

From what I see of things it is the Chinese factories who allocate the production slots.

It is the age old problem for Hornby, as many companies in other fields have found out, of not being able to make bigger margins when times are good in order to knuckle down when times are hard.

They must be wringing their hands in despair at not being able to supply the demands of the market place over the last eighteen months or so. Unfortunately the damage problem is going to add to their woes.

Bernard

No factory will dictate a production quantity and or reduce the production batch size from what any client places an order for. The factory will make what is ordered by the client who decides the quantity.

Any factory will always want to produce as many items as possible to increase their own income.

The only area that a client does not have complete control over is when the production actually occurs for potentially a number of reasons.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

No factory will dictate a production quantity and or reduce the production batch size from what any client places an order for. The factory will make what is ordered by the client who decides the quantity.

Unless it's R3115, and the factory is Sanda Kan.....

Maybe in future the solution to be absolutely safe is to order one model from the Hornby website, one from your retailer, and if parts arrive damaged combine both models (e.g. tender from one, and loco body from the other) and then return the damaged model to Hornby?

it will actually help the retailer (they get a sale, and don't have to return/loose stock to Hornby) and Hornby (they only get one faulty model returned instead of two)...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Maybe in future the solution to be absolutely safe is to order one model from the Hornby website, one from your retailer, and if parts arrive damaged combine both models (e.g. tender from one, and loco body from the other) and then return the damaged model to Hornby?

it will actually help the retailer (they get a sale, and don't have to return/loose stock to Hornby) and Hornby (they only get one faulty model returned instead of two)...

Fine, assuming the damage is that conveniently distributed....

Way too many permutations of that scenario that could go totally wrong....

23 minutes ago, 828CC said:

Fine, assuming the damage is that conveniently distributed....

Way too many permutations of that scenario that could go totally wrong....

This is a fair point - if you end up with different forms of damage on the same part on different models you then have two whole models (and over £440 of outlay) to replace/refund.... Its a bit of a risk. Or you get two perfect models... which is then a customer-requested return to Hornby.... also in hindsight somewhat unfair on Hornby who end up with cost of processing an 'unwanted' item...

I do feel for Hornby and the team there- but it appears that having designed a wonderful model (and are very excited by it), and had it manufactured to a generally high standard, someone in CHINA has designed rubbish packaging (at best), or at worst has intentionally boxed up models that were damaged in the factory, thus screwing over Hornby AND the customers.

I do wonder how Hornby's UK QC checks work - do they open a few cartons, check the contents, and if 1-in-20 models are damaged in the sample claim a 1/20 rebate from the manufacturers?

Edited by G-BOAF

4 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

A CE mark will still be required if a model is to be exported to Europe.  Any separate UK testing requirements will effectively be additional unless an item is for sale only in the UK.

Roddy

The UK one will be valid in Europe and the CE vice versa as they are internationally recognised symbols. Just that items made just for the UK, which these are, will no longer carry the CE mark but the UK one.

ISTR I received some of the documentation about it a while ago, might have been during Lockdown. More for retailers to be aware of the new symbol. It'll be with all the other guff in work.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s just the batches Hornby chose. Most shops have had allocations reduced as noted on here. My local had his reduced by two after ordering to his allocation!

Sadly this is now Hornby’s standard we expect on ordering. It’s happened with the Pecketts, Rocket, APT and W1 I’ve ordered and it’s only the cooperation of two local shops that meant most people get at least most of what they originally ordered. We can only guess why, manufacturer reducing batch, more sales on their ‘ring fenced’ Hornby website stock etc. 

It would be very interesting to ask Simon Kohler why this keeps happening on his little tv show ;) 

Personally I’m beginning to suspect it’s Hornby trying to make their website the only reliable source and pushing retailers into second as even Tier 1 shops have their allocations changed after they’ve ordered from them. 
Whatever, it’s still not doing them any favours with image as the retailers are quite happy to tell customers who changed the goalposts!

Interesting comment which I've highlighted because while it might well vary from model to model according to the way orders are coming on for their own website the fact is that direct sales of Hornby railway stuff for the first half of 2021 have declined as a percentage of total sales compared with the first half of 2020 (but it still exceeds the percentage in the first half of 2019).  The W1 has - obviously - arrived in the second half of their sales year and that might well turn to look very different in terms of split between direct and indirect sales.

Thus in the first half of 2021 85% of UK sales (presumably measured in cash terms?) were made through what Hornby class as 'indirect' compared with 83% in 2020.   Overall for the railway brand indirect sales are the overwhelmingly predominant route to market, i.e. to us.

I wonder if the 'shortage' of models - as reflected by the Tier system and lack of availability through many retailers - is more likely a consequence of keeping down production volume as part of the strategy t to get the business into profitability?  If you sell everything you make of any particular model and you got your numbers right and covered all your costs then you make a profit on that model.  If you make more than the market can absorb not only might you not clear your costs but you will incur additional costs and an adverse entry on the balance sheet by having to hold on to the unsold stock.  in other words Hornby are adopting the business model used by commissioning retailers ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct typos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

i spoke with my local shop today in regards the W1, all his 10000 where damaged (i had one on order). It turns out Hornby sent more than requested Enterprise and they are ok, so i've switched my order to that.

Feel for the retailers, someone, somewhere needs their arse kicking and hung out to dry. The owner of said shop thinks they have been forced into the packaging, rather than broke in transit.

Either way, very disappointing for shop and nothing they can do, as usual though great service and he has sorted me something else.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if the 'shortage' of models - as reflected by the Tier system and lack of availability through many retailers - is more likely a consequence of keeping down production volume as part of the strategy t to get the business into profitability?  

All I know is that having spoken to two retailers they are confused why their allocation has been cut when they are still available to order on Hornby’s own site because they are “ring fenced stock” according to Hornby. 
That would suggest that that they have unsold stock sitting there while telling shops sorry we are sold out. Surely it could be accounted for by just putting their stock to zero and then the following day sending out the stock to those shops whose allocations they cut or possibly dismantle for spare bodies ;) 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

To my mind it should be that all dealers get their promised allocation in order to satisfy pre-orders; if there are any left over then Hornby can sell those direct.

Of course Hornby make more profit by cutting out the middle man....

1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Kernow still have some of the R3840 in stock after processing all of their pre-orders. See here: https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66877/R3840-WSL-Hornby-LNER-Class-W1-Hush-Hush-4-6-4-Steam-Loco-10000

No connection with the retailer, just thought this might help someone. 

Cheers. 

CoY

Not any more - showing a zero stock

46 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i spoke with my local shop today in regards the W1, all his 10000 where damaged (i had one on order). It turns out Hornby sent more than requested Enterprise and they are ok, so i've switched my order to that.

After reading this thread I feel really fortunate that my 10000 seems undamaged - I've still to put power on though.  And thanks to TMC for packing it well.

• Agree 1

Can anyone who had a broken one direct from Hornby tell us what solution they've been offered?   Do they have enough undamaged stock to cover replacement?  Or spare bodies to repair?  And how long turnaround?

My retailer asked if I wanted to return it to the factory for repair (they too had others returned broken), but I was:  'Thank you but no thank you'.  If they're being sent from the factory damaged, it's just another gamble..

Did find another retailer who assured me he had good ones in stock, so here's hoping...

44 minutes ago, polybear said:

To my mind it should be that all dealers get their promised allocation in order to satisfy pre-orders; if there are any left over then Hornby can sell those direct.

Of course Hornby make more profit by cutting out the middle man....

Not any more - showing a zero stock

After reading this thread I feel really fortunate that my 10000 seems undamaged - I've still to put power on though.  And thanks to TMC for packing it well.

Mines just arrived, haven’t tested it yet, but all perfect visually. 

• RMweb Gold

My locomotive arrived an hour ago - front step missing from the left hand side - not in the box , not in the detail pack or on the floor !

Will try and get a replacement step rather then sending back at this stage 

E mail sent to Hornby - initial automated response " it may take 7 days to respond to this mail "   " Spares can take 28 days to ship " 

Lets see ---

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 8