Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I got a tracking link but no tracking number so go figure that! 

It has just this minute updated to say ‘entered Hermes network’, and now the link is saying that it isn’t valid and they’ve got no record of it.

Marvellous. Hermes strikes again. How they stay in business is beyond me

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Bonniedundee said:

Is there more R3840’s due in or is that the full allocation from the supplier sent out. I didn’t pre-order and I was hoping to wait to see reviews etc but I have a feeling that I’ve now missed out? 

There must be models still out there as they can be ordered as below. Strange goings on!

image.png.c40591f5ba094a0413d47a3875225c46.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edge said:

It has just this minute updated to say ‘entered Hermes network’, and now the link is saying that it isn’t valid and they’ve got no record of it.

Marvellous. Hermes strikes again. How they stay in business is beyond me

I had the same with the Hornby direct for a while and then eventually it started to give information. Didn't stop hermes just leaving it on the doorstep though (luckily not stolen), but alas still waiting to hear from Hornby so that I can return the broken smoke deflector model for a refund.

I have one on the way from Kernow which I am sure will be packed well and I see another post on here where it was successful. Fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Yes they are glued on at factory. Was a first seeing that. But not much glue was used, as one already popped off. 

Hi

I do think they look a little bit oversized, an easy solution if one wants to replace them is to remove the two lamp iron and lamps.

If they break off then use a needle file to smooth of the area on the running plate and if they pull out all the better.

Using a Pin vice drill a small hole or use the existing hole if there is one, then insert a cut down small piece of a steel staple. 

Lanarkshire Model Supplies produce superb detailed lamps at the correct scale, and with patience you can drill a small hole in the base of the lamp which will allow it to fit over the replacement staple lamp iron.

I have done this many times and they do look very good.

Regards

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, micklner said:

My W1 was collected from the Royal Mail today , no damge on reciept. A good runner , the only fault I have found is the screw fitted to the drawbar at the Loco end is too short. When tightened it locks the drawbar , looosen to allow the drawbar to move and the screw falls out. A longer screw will sourced tomorrow.

608032BB-605C-4737-8930-0F519B8BD7A9_1_201_a.jpeg.c946a723fd02355d6e922066ecc88dba.jpeg

DF8B8BEC-1EEA-4E13-9C21-09D64FDD281D_1_201_a.jpeg.662dfa70fb4c63cd61b1a45520ed8c1e.jpeg

72024114-94C7-457A-AFA6-1CA586CD3E5F_1_201_a.jpeg.7b7bdc6357e0f27faf783d211df43779.jpeg

E275FCCA-DF3D-497A-A9D5-76C44BC1250A_1_201_a.jpeg.80dde4aa8ccff27e225df4ad0a2d3805.jpeg

608032BB-605C-4737-8930-0F519B8BD7A9_1_201_a.jpeg.c946a723fd02355d6e922066ecc88dba.jpeg

F4025A67-CCC3-4C03-8ED0-6361CAE43AE0_1_201_a.jpeg.27168adb50c1386587b5f148dbaba511.jpeg

Just a question, but regarding the 'too short screw', was it a shoulder screw, which was misaligned - shoulder tightened onto the drawbar instead of through it?

Al.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Two R3840s left at UKP240 at Olivias Trains.  No connection.

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

It's a Christmas miracle - a (comparative) bargain from Olivia's :D

He did, but he also said theres no connection

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bonniedundee said:

Is there more R3840’s due in or is that the full allocation from the supplier sent out. I didn’t pre-order and I was hoping to wait to see reviews etc but I have a feeling that I’ve now missed out? 

That's a risk you take these days when manufactured quantities cover pre-orders (just about) with very few loose items for sale.

I've lost out on a few items because I waited to see what they were like and they'd all sold.:(

I ordered my R3840 about 15 months ago and even then I wasn't sure I would get one, fortunately the dealer (TMC) had more than enough to cover the pre-ordered ones.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Now, I did not want to actually say that.................

Back at the time when the world started to have products made in China there was a cartoon of a girl on a swing.

A series of drawings depicted what the product would look like ranging from the original idea, then the designer, then via the purchasing contact and the factory right through to the customer. It was supposed to be a joke. However the real world soon caught on.

Change grade of plastic to grade of mazak and you will see that we have been down that road with Hornby.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Bonniedundee said:

Not sure , but have you tried the likes of Arcadia Trains in Oldham and maybe Hereford Model Centre . Both great shops , but ones maybe not totally on the mainstream , maybe they have an allocation 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Edge said:

IMarvellous. Hermes strikes again. How they stay in business is beyond me

Simple - because they are cheap & cheerful.

They are much better than they used to be.

On the other side of the coin UPS have recently gone from excellent to bad - maybe because they are now using subbies in our area.

Edited by SamThomas
speeling mistake
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, micklner said:

Running in , and photos of the Resin Truck supplied by Grame King,fitted to my Hornby W1 conversions mentioned in a earlier post.

TheTruck is filled with Liquid Lead and a scrap Brass etch stretcher connected to the tapped hole for the Hornby Cartazzi truck on the A4 and another for a  Hornby Drawbar connecting it to the Tender.

Two problems with the Hornby W1 . No Cartazzi tapped hole is present in the chassis . No provision to take the wires to the Tender. the W1 mouldings would also need cutting . On a £200 Loco, mine will stay as supplied. Its all Grey, it is not a noticable as on a LNER A4 Type would be with Red wheels.

DF8B8BEC-1EEA-4E13-9C21-09D64FDD281D_1_201_a.jpeg.662dfa70fb4c63cd61b1a45520ed8c1e.jpeg

72024114-94C7-457A-AFA6-1CA586CD3E5F_1_201_a.jpeg.7b7bdc6357e0f27faf783d211df43779.jpeg

E275FCCA-DF3D-497A-A9D5-76C44BC1250A_1_201_a.jpeg.80dde4aa8ccff27e225df4ad0a2d3805.jpeg

In addition to the above photos, I thought these below might be useful.

W1 Hush Hush which is a South Eastern Finecast kit can run around 34.5 inch (850mm) curves without issue

DSC06083.JPG.66da11d386dea14a8d0f1c34ed05559d.JPG

DSC06084.JPG.e41935b67574cb21d000fef41863310f.JPG

DSC06086.JPG.e2398566af137b62a94c2d679dabd995.JPG

DSC06087.JPG.6cea6315dcb603361bf32624db3b6281.JPG

DSC06088.JPG.11cb6c41e2650c5b2d4825b6b8b9608e.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

DSC06084.JPG.e41935b67574cb21d000fef41863310f.JPG

DSC06086.JPG.e2398566af137b62a94c2d679dabd995.JPG

Now that's the sort of Pony Truck I wish Hornby had fitted - and can you tell the difference from a side view?  I can't......oh hang on a minute, yes I can - the SEF loco has wheels with flanges that actually touch the rails.  Now there's a novelty....

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Now that's the sort of Pony Truck I wish Hornby had fitted - and can you tell the difference from a side view?  I can't......oh hang on a minute, yes I can - the SEF loco has wheels with flanges that actually touch the rails.  Now there's a novelty....

And they rotate - just like the real thing!!

I wonder if SEF would sell the parts for a retrofit

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Except that the rearmost frame section is too wide and too joggled outwards to the extent it is sitting proud of the bottom of the cab, in order to allow the rear 'bogie' to pivot.

Clearly like flangeless wheels this is a compromise, and which compromise is acceptable to you will be a matter of individual preference.

It would be good if Hornby had made the rear truck mounts a separate fitting to allow for easier modification, rather than casting them into the chassis block (as all rear trucks have been for a while. This is especially so given that the outer frame is cast into the chassis, making surgery more difficult.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

And they rotate - just like the real thing!!

I wonder if SEF would sell the parts for a retrofit

Dave Ellis certainly would have - as to whether or not Squires would I've no idea.  It would be interesting to see such a conversion, if indeed the SEF parts will fit inside the frames.

• RMweb Premium

It's a pity that Hornby have arranged the trailing wheelsets as they are by casting the mounts into the chassis.

If the area had been left completely vacant except for some tapped holes, the complete fixed mounts and wheels could be screwed in afterwards.

It would have then been easy to subsitute some proper flanged wheels later. Maybe Hornby could've offered a fully floating set as an option?

Edit

Mainly duplicates G-BOAF's post, which wasn't up when I started mine!

Edited by melmerby

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Anybody tried the hauling power

The drawbar screws are stepped so shouldn't clamp the drawbar.

The loco and tender ones are different lengths.

Maybe been swapped ?

Most of the pictures I have seen show the drawbar with the two holes at the loco end.

At that end they can't be adjusted for short coupling, however short coupling is no good if you have tighter that 40"(?) or so radius as the loco wil meet the tender on curves when going backwards:

tender.jpg.ef32cbfb8d93c9bc9f1b0e360732611b.jpg

It seems that the whole back end is a bit of a compromise, where for display purposes it is fine but for running you are limited with the options.

Tender/Loco Drawbar Screws swapped over, and it has worked !! 

Many thanks

Mick

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Except that the rearmost frame section is too wide and too joggled outwards to the extent it is sitting proud of the bottom of the cab, in order to allow the rear 'bogie' to pivot.

Clearly like flangeless wheels this is a compromise, and which compromise is acceptable to you will be a matter of individual preference.

It would be good if Hornby had made the rear truck mounts a separate fitting to allow for easier modification, rather than casting them into the chassis block (as all rear trucks have been for a while. This is especially so given that the outer frame is cast into the chassis, making surgery more difficult.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess some experiments are needed to compare the SEF and Hornby and perhaps the limit on tighter curves. Although I have the SEF I am still trying to get a Hornby version that is OK. Third time lucky perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

The SEF one looks like it would negotiate much tighter than 36" curves.

With the amount of offset shown in the  picture, I would have thought nearer to 24"

I think 36" should be possible within the constraints of the Hornby one.

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

DSC06087.JPG.6cea6315dcb603361bf32624db3b6281.JPG

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

It's a pity that Hornby have arranged the trailing wheelsets as they are by casting the mounts into the chassis.

When Hornby first (misguidedly) went down the flangeless trailing wheels route, the arrangement was effectively that of a pivoting truck locked rigid with a second screw.

This was the best of both options - rigid / flangeless as supplied; pivoting / flanged a simple adjustment.

Why this arrangement had to be progressively 'dumbed-down' is beyond me!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I’ll say this for Hornby, the motors are decent.

I’ve been lucky, if lucky is the right word because Derails tests locos before sending them. Nothing broken.

The sandpipes on one side have been distorted but can be bent back into shape.

As has been observed, the drawbar has been fitted the wrong way round. On mine there was a tang which threatened to damage the loco to tender wires and had to be filed off.

I can’t agree that the model is beautiful (it’s other nickname of “Flying Sausage” hits the mark) but it is imposing.

As has also been observed, the instructions say that the flanged trailing wheels are for display only. Here Hornby has fouled up badly. The keeper plate prevents them turning. Fitting spacers didn’t work and even trying them without the keeper resulted in shorts. I accept that it is probably impractical to produce a fixed rear frame with flanged trailing wheels which can negotiate second radius curves but a little thought at the design stage could have provided a chassis with space for flanges and more sideways movement. Hornby got it right on the Princesses but has messed up one way or another before and since.

cctransuk commented as I was concluding my rant.

10000.jpg

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1