Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

59 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

When Hornby first (misguidedly) went down the flangeless trailing wheels route, the arrangement was effectively that of a pivoting truck locked rigid with a second screw.

This was the best of both options - rigid / flangeless as supplied; pivoting / flanged a simple adjustment.

Why this arrangement had to be progressively 'dumbed-down' is beyond me!

CJI.

As far as I can tell from the 'early' fixed trucks (namely the A3s and Rebuild light Bulleids), while the external truck was arranged as you describe, the internal support holding the wheel was, from day 1, cast into the chassis block, meaning surgery to the block and alternative wheel holding arrangement would be needed at minimum to adopt a swinging truck.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As has been observed, the drawbar has been fitted the wrong way round. On mine there was a tang which threatened to damage the loco to tender wires and had to be filed off.

Could you post a picture of how it should be fitted please?

May I ask of those who have received damaged loco's; were they packed with foam inserts?

Ours arrived today and they had three pieces of foam preventing the loco from moving around in the clamshell.

No damage, all perfect. No need to put on Ebay and sell for a small fortune due to damage.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
Emphasis on Clamshell foam insert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

May I ask of those who have received damaged loco's; were they packed with foam inserts?

Ours arrived today and they had three pieces of foam preventing the loco from moving around in the clamshell.

No damage, all perfect. No need to put on Ebay and sell for a small fortune due to damage.

Mine arrived undamaged - with no signs of foam.  Packed in a large outer box with some bubblewrap (just enough to stop it rattling around)

19 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

As far as I can tell from the 'early' fixed trucks (namely the A3s and Rebuild light Bulleids), while the external truck was arranged as you describe, the internal support holding the wheel was, from day 1, cast into the chassis block, meaning surgery to the block and alternative wheel holding arrangement would be needed at minimum to adopt a swinging truck.

You may well be correct - all I can say is that I found it an easy  matter to convert my 'Wilton' to a pivoting truck with flanged wheels.

That's not to say that an even easier conversion could not be possible if the truck wheels had outside bearings and a locking screw.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just had W1 delivered from TTC Diecast (no affiliation other than very satisfied customer). External box filled with boxed loco and foam and bubblewrap... and slip stating visual inspection and test run already conducted. Item in flawless condition. Additional hassle for retailer but appreciated!

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Well my W1 arrived in New Zealand 12 days after ordering. With some trepidation I brought the box inside in this condition. ACA0FDED-862C-45F9-805B-F66515E32C95.jpeg.77c6052e7ea58306dd695612686749f5.jpeg
Opening it up, I found the internal box undamaged.DBDB1A6B-A4AD-480C-BD15-C51D5917D5C7.jpeg.2b4adbd0e17ad499b52aa63cef914252.jpeg

Opening the model up, there is no broken parts, no cracked smoke cowl, to snapped tender top, and no loose steps. Only one tiny loose item, and that was the tender drawbar screw. Very happy that it survived the journey here. Tender drawbar does need turned round but that’s easy enough. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, 828CC said:

What do people think about retailers cashing in on the scarcity of these now?

Nothing - the laws of supply & demand - effects absolutely everthing we buy whether it's essential or not.

A trader I know always orders/buys in excess of what he knows will sell out quickly. The "overstock" gets stored until these models become rare & then dripfeeds them on eBay - simple business sense on a trade where the margins are very low to start with.

Nobody will be forcing people to buy model locomotives.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Well my W1 arrived in New Zealand 12 days after ordering. With some trepidation I brought the box inside in this condition. ACA0FDED-862C-45F9-805B-F66515E32C95.jpeg.77c6052e7ea58306dd695612686749f5.jpeg
Opening it up, I found the internal box undamaged.DBDB1A6B-A4AD-480C-BD15-C51D5917D5C7.jpeg.2b4adbd0e17ad499b52aa63cef914252.jpeg

Opening the model up, there is no broken parts, no cracked smoke cowl, to snapped tender top, and no loose steps. Only one tiny loose item, and that was the tender drawbar screw. Very happy that it survived the journey here. Tender drawbar does need turned round but that’s easy enough. 

That's exactly how my W1 Hush Hush appeared pristine and new mint condition! Only my outer transportation box was more dented and bashed and crushed! and I live in the UK! Europe you are in New Zealand Oceania. It really is a stunning locomotive! 

20211215_000543.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok it seems I was being overly optimistic. Upon closer inspection, part of the valve gear is bent

7BEF0F04-1D87-4D69-B88F-640AADDBD279.jpeg.6a6bb38f142a5d1fab7bc0e85b584aa8.jpeg

the screw holder on the tender is half cracked off

36CFE4E8-9C1D-4A84-8ECA-01BCE4F0076A.jpeg.45d62912166a9c376efa99b83af3f791.jpeg

and the body is loose from the chassis at the front and making the cylinders wonky

7048891E-2593-4482-A80D-18101579425A.jpeg.bfcbd46d05e6c7d507e53d5fe473dadb.jpeg

Will have to see if the valve gear and loose body are mendable. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Removed double photo
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rxj27 said:

Has anyone with a broken W1 heard back from Hornby yet? I am still waiting to hear from them.

No I haven't. Hornby do say it takes some time for them to reply and no doubt they are snowed under with returns. I just want to get it in the post and out of the way before Christmas. Still waiting for a replacment from another source (retailer who will inspect / test).

Ans still waiting to hear a general apology from Hornby for all of the disappointment they have caused and what is their corrective action plan. Won't hold my breath.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 828CC said:

What do people think about retailers cashing in on the scarcity of these now?

Hmmm.....not overly impressed if an authorised Hornby Dealer is selling at above the RRP; however none of us moan if we get a loco (any loco) at a big discount cos' the dealer is having to do that in order to off-load less popular sellers.  So I guess it's fairly evens.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ok it seems I was being overly optimistic. Upon closer inspection, part of the valve gear is bent

7BEF0F04-1D87-4D69-B88F-640AADDBD279.jpeg.6a6bb38f142a5d1fab7bc0e85b584aa8.jpeg

the screw holder on the tender is half cracked off

36CFE4E8-9C1D-4A84-8ECA-01BCE4F0076A.jpeg.45d62912166a9c376efa99b83af3f791.jpeg

and the body is loose from the chassis at the front and making the cylinders wonky

7048891E-2593-4482-A80D-18101579425A.jpeg.bfcbd46d05e6c7d507e53d5fe473dadb.jpeg

Will have to see if the valve gear and loose body are mendable. 

Ok so I managed to sort the valve gear and wonky cylinders. The cylinders had popped out of the slot in the chassis block, which in turn bent the valve gear. Sorted and screwed in properly now. Just need a drop of glue to sort the tender screw hole now and all will be sweet. Glad it’s sorted but shouldn’t have been necessary on a brand new £200 loco. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re : Packaging.

Some years ago I worked for a well known parcels logistics company driving trunking vehicles between the main & local distribution hubs.

Imagine a box around the size of a 20' ISO container full, from floor to roofline with assorted parcels, all weighs, shapes & sizes - all basically chucked in - yours could be at the bottom......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ok so I managed to sort the valve gear and wonky cylinders. The cylinders had popped out of the slot in the chassis block, which in turn bent the valve gear. Sorted and screwed in properly now. Just need a drop of glue to sort the tender screw hole now and all will be sweet. Glad it’s sorted but shouldn’t have been necessary on a brand new £200 loco. 

I applaud you on getting it fixed . Can't help feeling Hornby are getting away with it due to the desire of enthusiasts to sort things out , though .

• Agree 6

9 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Nothing - the laws of supply & demand - effects absolutely everthing we buy whether it's essential or not.

A trader I know always orders/buys in excess of what he knows will sell out quickly. The "overstock" gets stored until these models become rare & then dripfeeds them on eBay - simple business sense on a trade where the margins are very low to start with.

Nobody will be forcing people to buy model locomotives.

I can understand to a certain degree, it was the:  'reserve not met' notification I found a bit callous, perhaps?

And their stock on Amazon disappeared overnight, which I assumed due to selling out...

But, as duly noted, nobody HAS to buy them....

Well mine arrived last Friday, all the way down under. No broken bits to report.

first impression - imposing 

regarding the trailing axles - perhaps they could have gone with a proper bissel/pony for the last one, with a fixed Intermediate with plenty of side play for the middle one. 

J

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Legend said:

I applaud you on getting it fixed . Can't help feeling Hornby are getting away with it due to the desire of enthusiasts to sort things out , though .

If I was closer to UK then I would have returned it. Being 18,000km away in New Zealand is a different story. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, scottishsteam said:

Now showing as back in stock at Hornby for anyone who hasn't yet gotten a model..

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 14.47.19.png

Thankfully mine is ok, but maybe Hornby should be holding these back to replace all the damaged ones winging their way back to them! 

Also those that have paid silly money on auction site must be gutted.