Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, digger62 said:

Thankfully mine is ok, but maybe Hornby should be holding these back to replace all the damaged ones winging their way back to them! 

Also those that have paid silly money on auction site must be gutted. 

Do you really think so ? They probably remain in blissful ignorance.For a good many eBay is their sole currency…

and I use the word loosely …….a way of life and their sole way of buying and selling. They ( hopefully ) are not devotees of RMWEB and do not either know of Hornby’s website or any accredited Hornby dealer’s. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Dare we ? Presumably he preordered his.

Oh dear. Copyright,copyright. At the beginning of his review,Sam for purposes of illustrating his point has lifted images straight from the pages of the RMWEB thread. I thought we were a little particular about  such things ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling correction
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Oh dear. Copyright,copyright. At the beginning of his review,Sam for purposes of illustrating his point has lifted images straight from the pages of the RMWEB thread. I thought we were a little particular another such things ?

He didn’t lift images, he showed a few seconds of video of a sliding web page, and it showed the name of the original poster so it’s clear to see who posted and owns the images. And for al you know, he may well have asked the site member for permission to use his post as an example. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Corrected spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Not watched but I suggest as disaster is in the title it’s not going to be good!

Credit where it's due as I thought the review was good and he gave Hornby both barrels on cancelling his pre-order through their model shop tier system. The packaging was appalling , even more so for the price tag when ordered direct. He had trepidation on opening the box, we shouldn't have to feel that way in our hobby. Some of the model's detail looks cheap but that's standard Hornby of late as I can testify with their prairie. Interesting that Sam reviews models as a living but has to buy them to do it whilst someone like @Jenny Emily gets them sent direct from the likes of Dapol.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Credit where it's due as I thought the review was good and he gave Hornby both barrels on cancelling his pre-order through their model shop tier system. The packaging was appalling , even more so for the price tag when ordered direct. He had trepidation on opening the box, we shouldn't have to feel that way in our hobby. Some of the model's detail looks cheap but that's standard Hornby of late as I can testify with their prairie. Interesting that Sam reviews models as a living but has to buy them to do it whilst someone like @Jenny Emily gets them sent direct from the likes of Dapol.

I know Sam does at times perform some silly antics, however I think his reviews are generally pretty good.  His packaging from Hornby was appaling.  I certainly get more out of his reviews than Jen. I think Jen is a little easier on the manufacturers than Sam.  I am hoping he will get an APT to review before Hornby send me mine.

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

He didn’t lift images, he showed a few seconds of video of a sliding web page, and it showed the name of the original poster so it’s clear to see who posted and owns the images. And for al you know, he may well have asked the site member for permission to use his post as an example. 

That’s splitting hairs . If a member of this forum or mod had been approached for permission,we’d know about it.There was no acknowledgement of any kind. Despite that he highlighted failings in the model and in the approach by Hornby to the issue of its distribution quotas and poor direct sell system. 

The delivery I am less enamoured with. If I place a £220 order with Hattons, Rails, Kernow et al, it is almost always here the day after ordering, sometimes in about 18 hours. Not five days. Bad mark for Hornby there. 

and they all use better packaging than this. My standards are not too high, but I’d prefer if my £220 model was not protected by a box with no bubble wrap THAT YOU CAN SEE DAYLIGHT THROUGH. 

78-D420-BE-2-CB1-4-D5-A-BC69-C23-F320-F6

4-DA4-CCB9-A1-CD-4593-B7-A6-A2-C00-D707-

CDD35-E11-5-AB0-4-F2-C-AFC3-05-FED6-D08-

Very very poor showing from Hornby here. Will think very long and hard before I order from them directly again

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had not watched Sam's video !   Whilst my version has a missing step and yes I am still waiting for a response / replacement part from Hornby , I decided to let my wife put is aside for Xmas without doing any running checks !! 

Sam's review was excellent - highlighting loads of issues we've all encountered in various guises.

I too pre-ordered and had mine cancelled 12-15 months in.  Mine was with Hattons.  My guess is his was too.

Front bogie / draw bar combined to limit adhesion - can be 'adjusted'.

Sticking - my guess is the coupling rod holes are not perfect, Hornby relying on running in resolving this - enlarging the holes slightly.  Problem here is their coupling rods are so thin, some bend.  It is also possible the quartering is not acceptable.

Overall an honest review, and very disheartening.

On another note, take a look at 'that auction site' .... WOW!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

He is so self-contradictory. He complains that Bachmann J72 comes with a pre-fitted speaker which 'inflates the price' and then claims that he wants 10000 to have a pre-fitted speaker for £219. I promise if it had a speaker and ran perfectly, he would complain he was being charged for things he didn't need.

I do wonder how much of the running problems were cause by him removing the base plate (which he calls the base keeper plate - it is baseplate or keeper plate, not both ....), and not refitting the bearing properly. If I were a manufacturer I would probably be taking legal issues for his dismantling a model, then testing it and claiming it doesn't run very well.

Any lifting issues of the tender can be solved by adjusting the wiring (ok shouldn't have to, but its a minor adjustment once the body is off) - EDIT I now see it was a drawbar issue and was corrected - this happens. We've all had to adjust them... yes its a fault, but a minor one.

Yes his example runs awfully (again how much is manufacturing and how much is him messing around with it), but that is not typical of models on here, mostly cosmetic severe damage which his does not seem to suffer from.

BUT hopefully Hornby will pull their finger out once this 'influencer' has influenced...

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly no fan of Sam's Trains. But he regularly takes the baseplate off locomotives and they run OK. So I don't think we can reasonably infer that his locomotive was fine before he took a look at it.

It does seem that Hornby's QC is lacking. I've experienced far more problems with Hornby locomotives than all other manufacturers combined (and most of my locomotives are Bachmann or Heljan).

• Like 3

While I find Sam's reviews to be a little condescending and aimed towards the younger age groups,  overall he is a "reviewer" and not a butt kisser.  I find his reviews to be honest and informative.  His videos have found a market so he is doing something right (at least to those who follow him).

I have had to do exactly what Sam has done on many new models received to get satisfactory performance and as others have stated,  Hornby seems to be the main culprit when it comes to receiving less than perfect new models.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Currently watching his review. He shows a lot of running in his video's which is what I mainly look at. His content isn't always my cup of tea, but horses for courses. Things like acceleration, pulling power etc. is what I pay attention to on video. Is this an outsourced distributor Hornby are using? If so, then Hornby should review that contract.

• Like 2

I had to chase up Hornby for my W1 as after a week of “processing” i was beginning g to wonder if id ever get it. The woman was really apologetic and made sure that my order was a priority as id been waiting over the 5day limit for orders…. Now its in the Bermuda triangle that is Herpes .. ooops sorry Hermes..  so we’ll see how that turns up, whenever that may be. As for packing (or lack of it)  i do so hope it hasn’t come damaged. And that the packing co have been given a kick up the arse by Hornby.. but again i wont hold my breath.  As some one said you shouldn’t be fearing a model coming more looking forward to it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Interesting review.

Does he never run a the Loco in? . Or does he always just place them on the track straight out of the box ?. Perhaps he has'nt read the instructions that always  recommend a running in period first. He does'nt check that the motion is lubricated at that point  , only time he mentions oil is when he takes the baseplate off and then says too much. Does he clean it before replacing it back onto the chassis ?.

Very strange that he appears to never run the Loco at all before taking the baseplate off , why would you do that ?. If the Loco does'nt work when first run he should have returned the Loco at that point, not complain about it after pulling it to bits.

He never checked the pickups at any time , 1. to see if they actually work and connected to the motor 2. Not bent or catching in a wheel spoke.

He never checked the wheel crankpins for being loose or bent. He mentions a bent coupling rod, but does'nt know when it was bent , nothing  obvious at the beginning of the video. He may have bent it during removing the baseplate or putting it back on.

Never mentioned the rear truck with no wheel rims at anytime.

He does a slow running test over track at least 2 to 3mm higher to the right  side of the Loco , he then shows power cables underneath the track in the same area. What does he seriously expect to happen at that point  !!.

Footplate crooked , I have just checked mine it is  dead straight, he may have overtightend the chassis screws when he put it back on to the body.  Bogie on mine also checked and correct. All wheels on mine are touching other than the rimless rear truck wheels , which do rotate when I checked them. If his has a bent bogie and drawbar , it suggests its being dropped at some point .

I am pleased that mine does'nt demonstrate any of the issues, his one does . All mine had wrong, were the two drawbars screws which are  different lengths were in the wrong holes and were not screwing down correctly . I swopped them over and problem rectified.

Most odd, that his so bad, so he claims ?? .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, micklner said:

Interesting review.

Does he never run a the Loco in? . Or does he always just place them on the track straight out of the box ?. Perhaps he has'nt read the instructions that always  recommend a running in period first. He does'nt check that the motion is lubricated at that point  , only time he mentions oil is when he takes the baseplate off and then says too much. Does he clean it before replacing it back onto the chassis ?.

Very strange that he appears to never run the Loco at all before taking the baseplate off , why would you do that ?. If the Loco does'nt work when first run he should have returned the Loco at that point, not complain about it after pulling it to bits.

He never checked the pickups at any time , 1. to see if they actually work and connected to the motor 2. Not bent or catching in a wheel spoke.

He never checked the wheel crankpins for being loose or bent. He mentions a bent coupling rod, but does'nt know when it was bent , nothing  obvious at the beginning of the video. He may have bent it during removing the baseplate or putting it back on.

Never mentioned the rear truck with no wheel rims at anytime.

He does a slow running test over track at least 2 to 3mm higher to the right  side of the Loco , he then shows power cables underneath the track in the same area. What does he seriously expect to happen at that point  !!.

Footplate crooked , I have just checked mine it is  dead straight, he may have overtightend the chassis screws when he put it back on to the body.  Bogie on mine also checked and correct. All wheels on mine are touching other than the rimless rear truck wheels , which do rotate when I checked them. If his has a bent bogie and drawbar , it suggests its being dropped at some point .

I am pleased that mine does'nt demonstrate any of the issues, his one does . All mine had wrong, were the two drawbars screws which are  different lengths were in the wrong holes and were not screwing down correctly . I swopped them over and problem rectified.

Most odd, that his so bad, so he claims ?? .

The Hornby DCC power connector to the track has a piece of plastic between the rails which can sit high and close to the rails. This can cause the pony wheels to raise a little thus causing the drivers to also lift and lose traction if there is not enough vertical clearance. That piece of plastic can be easily removed as not necessary.

image.png.be3a4d7ae44c1dadb9873fe31b70c1fe.png

Edited by zr2498