Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

22 hours ago, robmcg said:

Well the going rate for a R3840 W1 Hush Hush on Ebay appears to be somewhere around UKP290-300.

There was one from a well-known good retailer at UKP249 free postage just an hour ago but when I refreshed the page it had gone.

You've got to be quick!

I have just received my R3840 here in Austria in good condition via GLS.  Just one question for people to answer - there is a difference  between the model and the picture on the boy, the latter showing coal rails on the tender.-  Which is correct?

9 hours ago, micklner said:

There are at least three on ebay £270 ish no bids so far on any.

Interesting that the models which have been removed from packaging and photographed and are demonstrably undamaged get better prices than the unopened ones. The reverse is often the case on Ebay.

Ii think you might fluke a purchase by bidding on a low reserve version, but all the 'buy now' offers are over UKP299, at a quick look just now,.   

Edited by robmcg

10 hours ago, ikcdab said:

We are going off topic, but I don't believe thats right. 7mm/3.5mm then upped to 4mm for UK models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OO_gauge?wprov=sfla1

I never mentioned H0 or O gauge.

I'm talking about 00 gauge going by the original specifications going back well before Hornby Dublo. People in Britain didn't use millimetres, everything was Imperial. So people used fractions of inches instead. Look at an old tool set 5/32" is a common drill size and nobody would bat an eyelid using that as a measurement. I doubt anyone would even know what a millimetre was.

That page is what is often wrong with Wikipedia though....

No sources. No credits. Looks like it was written by a child.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

I have just received my R3840 here in Austria in good condition via GLS.  Just one question for people to answer - there is a difference  between the model and the picture on the boy, the latter showing coal rails on the tender.-  Which is correct?

There was a coal rail over the corridor side of the tender but not on the left hand side. I think Hornby have this correctly modelled, for the first time on any of their LNER Pacifics (or bigger.)

The LNER A1s with non streamlined corridor tenders should be the same. However,  previous Hornby releases have used the same version they use with their A4s and Flying Scotsman as preserved.  These were correct for those models as they had had the side fairings raised from their original build, but not correct for A1s in LNER configuration. I back dated one of mine as per Graeme Kings method which was fun to do. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I never mentioned H0 or O gauge.

I'm talking about 00 gauge going by the original specifications going back well before Hornby Dublo. People in Britain didn't use millimetres, everything was Imperial. So people used fractions of inches instead. Look at an old tool set 5/32" is a common drill size and nobody would bat an eyelid using that as a measurement. I doubt anyone would even know what a millimetre was.

That page is what is often wrong with Wikipedia though....

No sources. No credits. Looks like it was written by a child.

Jason

Will this do?

http://www.doubleogauge.com/history/history.htm

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Try walking into an IT office, to answer someones pub quiz question… he asked whats the shortest distance between two mainline stations in the UK.

I replied Blackfriars and City Thameslink….and added 32 Chains… the rest of the office went from kind of admiration of knowing to… “whats a chain .?”.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Try walking into an IT office, to answer someones pub quiz question… he asked whats the shortest distance between two mainline stations in the UK.

I replied Blackfriars and City Thameslink….and added 32 Chains… the rest of the office went from kind of admiration of knowing to… “whats a chain .?”.

But is it correct?:scratchhead:

Trackmaps has 20 Chains

Newhaven Harbour to Newhaven Marine was 16ch (However Marine is not open anymore)

Plenty of others under 32ch

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

But is it correct?:scratchhead:

Trackmaps has 20 Chains

Newhaven Harbour to Newhaven Marine was 16ch (However Marine is not open anymore)

Plenty of others under 32ch

I’m not sure the IT guys were sharing that particular train of thought…

:D

15 hours ago, robmcg said:

Interesting that the models which have been removed from packaging and photographed and are demonstrably undamaged get better prices than the unopened ones. The reverse is often the case on Ebay.

Ii think you might fluke a purchase by bidding on a low reserve version, but all the 'buy now' offers are over UKP299, at a quick look just now,.   

That 'inspection charge' seems to vary between £100-£500 at the moment....  And that's without the cost of the loco!

My Hush-Hush was delivered this morning.  I had ordered from Derails and asked them to delay shipment until I could be at home to receive it, which they were happy to do.  Well packaged by them for Royal Mail shipment, excellent customer service and a competitive price.

The model has a little bit of a tight spot at low speed, which I am sure will disappear with running in, and seems to be powerful.  It is certainly an impressive beast and looks almost sinister in it's dark grey livery.  But best not to look at the rear carrying wheels too closely, especially on a curve - Hornby could have done better here.

What a shame the LNER did not persevere with the original locomotive. I must re-read the William Brown book.

• Like 4

Back to the subject.

I've just watched the Sams (no connection) Trains review & thought he was very fair.

I thought that the handrails & lights looked a little "heavy" but if I'm wrong then I stand corrected. TBH, I thought that the lights should work, I know they will be about as bright as a glow worm in a jamjar but personally, I would prefer that to sprung buffers (which have no useful function for the majority of modellers).

As for the gap between the locomotive & the tender ? Absolutely no excuse in this day & age - a close coupling or kinetic coupling is simply a "Y" shaped drawbar & a couple of slots.

The trailing bogie is not acceptable either - Hornby are still in the "0-4-0 Flying Scotsman" days in some respects.

The cab detail (as are some of the other details) is very nice but could do with a crew (having said that HO European locomotives are often lacking in that respect.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

As for the gap between the locomotive & the tender ? Absolutely no excuse in this day & age - a close coupling or kinetic coupling is simply a "Y" shaped drawbar & a couple of slots.

And looking at the instructions, it would appear it was supposed to have one.

Why was it not included? :(

However I only have one other steam loco that does have one, namely a Bachmann N15, no other Bachmann ot Hornby have one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

The trailing bogie is not acceptable either - Hornby are still in the "0-4-0 Flying Scotsman" days in some respects.

Lights and kinetic couplings for steam seem a blind spot at Hornby. The factories they use know how to do it. This Brawa designed some 20 years ago and made in China has a sprung loaded Y coupling that keeps things tight and the wires are inside it nice and neat (shown pulled out of the floor slot).

The 4-wheel bogie is a simple central pivot affair. A Cartazzi axle is much harder to model.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The model has a little bit of a tight spot at low speed, which I am sure will disappear with running in,

I spoke too soon.  On the second circuit this afternoon, the loco suddenly stopped dead.  I spotted a small screw on the track next to it which, on investigation, revealed itself to be the crank pin from the RH front driver, releasing the coupling rod.  The first two pairs of driving wheels had locked solid (cause or effect?) but I did manage to free them.  The crank pin appears to be undamaged and about 1.6mm in diameter, with a hexagon head. Unfortunately I don’t have a nut-runner or spanner small enough to fit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I spoke too soon.  On the second circuit this afternoon, the loco suddenly stopped dead.  I spotted a small screw on the track next to it which, on investigation, revealed itself to be the crank pin from the RH front driver, releasing the coupling rod.  The first two pairs of driving wheels had locked solid (cause or effect?) but I did manage to free them.  The crank pin appears to be undamaged and about 1.6mm in diameter, with a hexagon head. Unfortunately I don’t have a nut-runner or spanner small enough to fit.

you could carefully screw it up with fingers, then gently use pliers to do the final half turn.

Check there is no other motion bent or damaged.

Also on most Hornby locos, the front and rear drivers rely on the nut itself to act as the crank pin - there is a recess below the nut head which should sit flush on the wheel, with the rod sitting over the recess between the wheel face and the nut head (this is probably a poor description). There is a risk that you clamp the rod between the nut and the wheel if you do not properly locate the rod over the recess, and then things will either jam up or just work loose again.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

A common problem with Hornby who I believe sell a dedicated hex nut spanner to deal with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

cripes...

flip.JPG.24235aec0321b4fe0450925bf88229af.JPG

Meanwhile at the other side of the spectrum…

BD15DE9B-9191-4B0A-A760-2BC5925278FE.jpeg.e4f0967c99bda1e3c88da823a20d593f.jpeg

I suspect Santas got an easy night on delivering both of these… but if Hermes cant get them to the front door in one piece, theres no hope down the chimney either, so maybe thats for the better.

Edited by adb968008

I hope to have the opportunity of reviewing Hornby's latest W1 in BRM. 

A friend brought one over today which he's just bought.

745903454_HornbyoriginalW1.jpg.376a887280792db30f5a582da740fd5c.jpg

It's an astonishing model.

However, though I'd hoped to have given this a full blast on Little Bytham, its steps adjacent to the motion fouled the station's platform edges. These steps are way out of gauge with regard to width. Bytham's platforms were plotted from the prototype drawings we have, and everything else just sails through.

Has anyone else come across this clearance problem, please?   

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I hope to have the opportunity of reviewing Hornby's latest W1 in BRM. 

A friend brought one over today which he's just bought.

745903454_HornbyoriginalW1.jpg.376a887280792db30f5a582da740fd5c.jpg

It's an astonishing model.

However, though I'd hoped to have given this a full blast on Little Bytham, its steps adjacent to the motion fouled the station's platform edges. These steps are way out of gauge with regard to width. Bytham's platforms were plotted from the prototype drawings we have, and everything else just sails through.

Has anyone else come across this clearance problem, please?   

Hello Tony

Yes, I had that problem. Third time lucky getting a 'good' model.

I put this post out earlier

image.png.770348e311f1cbcadbda746a4e6225e1.png

• Thanks 1