Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

On 26/08/2020 at 13:09, truffy said:

(although I thought computer-based automation was 'a thing' these days), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

It was. Now it is, lets have the cheapest IT system possible and have everyone doing everything by hand, citing some vague security situation where someone might hack your system and send out 1000s of cancellation e-mails in your place - as a reason not to develope something that vaguely looks like automation.

After the last engine shed, I was on the verge of ordering one. But these other events blocked that from happening so I will stick to kit loco I built 20+ years ago. I always saw this loco as a partial Bulleid and could just imagine the SR had the Hush Hush been a success.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 14:12, JSpencer said:

... I always saw this loco as a partial Bulleid and could just imagine the SR had the Hush Hush been a success.

A missed opportunity to get the water tube boiler to function well in rail service was not making an attempt in the Garratt arrangement. More width and depth available for a superior boiler layout, and a wide and more stable frame to support it on the bridge between the power units. Turbine drive and condenser would be natural adjuncts: behold the Bulleid-Yarrow condensing turbo Garratt; driving cabs each end, near track level stoker position for the man watching over the water feed, chain grate, forced draught fan and condenser operation. Near everything on it un- or little proven in rail service, think that's ambitious enough.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

On 26/08/2020 at 13:09, truffy said:

What saddens me, though, is that I only found out about this development through RMWeb. I haven't had a direct communication from Rails like others have reported here. It may be that they're working through a list (although I thought computer-based automation was 'a thing' these days), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But the main reason that I don't deal with Hattons, ironically as I posted only today, is because they pulled a cancel-order-without-notification stunt on me before when they had the hissy with Bachmann. It would be sad if Rails were that rude.

START :offtopic:

Deep joy, of sorts. It's taken a week, but I received an email today. So they're not rude and I will continue to buy stuff from them!

END :offtopic:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible Hornby have designed the W1 with a removable section of the front streamlined shroud, so the smokebox door can be exposed?

363B1B21-5D23-4BD5-AC62-79D76A1291F1.jpeg.52e6b4f0b93f48111df9e8dfa78e24a8.jpg.fc99ad49106c4836ae3cd4ade87ab584.jpg

The CAD images show it in a different colour to the rest of the frontage - a different material, or separate component?

w1-hush-hush-parts_3.jpg.fa371bb4c3d20bbfe9ce04a868235822.jpg.2c32e8ff33e9d2f88588e661620c0901.jpg

The 'kit' images also show that smokebox cover plate isn't part of the main front moulding.

w1-hush-hush-running-sample_4_1.jpg.597fa0d06ed5e58938b205711fcf8e42.jpg

And the assembled sample shows the plate to be a different colour to the surrounding surface.

As the prototype was known to run in service with this cosmetic shroud removed (for easier servicing, one presumes) it'd be interesting if Hornby has considered that as an option. The spares department would be delighted I'm sure...

cf806d4c0b476b1d826a7553306513d7.jpg.92c5206c5b252d3b812ea33de72095cf.jpg

Edited by OliverBytham
typo
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Is it possible Hornby have designed the W1 with a removable section of the front streamlined shroud, so the smokebox door can be exposed?

The CAD images show it in a different colour to the rest of the frontage - a different material, or separate component?

The 'kit' images also show that smokebox cover plate isn't part of the main front moulding.

And the assembled sample shows the plate to be a different colour to the surrounding surface.

As the prototype was known to run in service with this cosmetic shroud removed (for easier servicing, one presumes) it'd be interesting if Hornby has considered that as an option. The spares department would be delighted I'm sure...

The CAD shows it as a separate colour meaning separate component. To get full relief of the door it would have to be separate for tooling purposes.

It looks like it's just glued on the sample so in theory should simply pop off with minimal damage to the front end. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little confused by Hornby's projection of history.

If the W1 were to have had a double chimney in grey when named, surely it would have had a double chimney in Apple Green, and also been named in that livery as well.

I can't really criticise as they are modelling something that didn't actually happen.

Even a a die-hard preservation modeller, 10000 as original is starting to tempt me....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

A little confused by Hornby's projection of history.

If the W1 were to have had a double chimney in grey when named, surely it would have had a double chimney in Apple Green, and also been named in that livery as well.

I can't really criticise as they are modelling something that didn't actually happen.

Even a a die-hard preservation modeller, 10000 as original is starting to tempt me....

I’m planning an entire layout based around a preservation steam gala where there are lots and lots of, erm, new builds :) 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Edge said:

I’m planning an entire layout based around a preservation steam gala where there are lots and lots of, erm, new builds :) 

No that goes outide my rules!

It would open the flood gates to all sorts of long-scrapped classes and not-yet-complete new builds (P2, Patriot and B17 to name but a few) :-p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

No that goes outide my rules!

It would open the flood gates to all sorts of long-scrapped classes and not-yet-complete new builds (P2, Patriot and B17 to name but a few) :-p

oh dear, so my plans for 2007 and 5551 to be there are probably not welcome... plus 10000 of course (both of them as it turns out)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I think it's time Hornby moved the game on a little.

Why can diesels have lights and 'steamies' not?

Al.

Because you can guarantee the minute they started putting lamps on steamers, people would moan because it wasn’t the correct head code for the train that loco was hauling etc. 

• Agree 9

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Because you can guarantee the minute they started putting lamps on steamers, people would moan because it wasn’t the correct head code for the train that loco was hauling etc. 

You’re probably right. Hornby got criticism in pre-Internet days for this headcode.

6233 Duchess of Sutherland Lights.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Why not 'plug and play' with the bottom 3 positions then?

Optional non-functional for Royal designation, or stopping passenger.

When not plugged with a lamp, an appropriately shaped and coloured bracket can be inserted to fill the gap / hole.

Got to be possible, surely.

Al.