Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Or you could have "Duke of Rothesay" instead:D

I wonder whether Hornby will supply both sets of plates?

From the sounds of it, maybe they give you the broken plates and you rearrange the letters yourself ?

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Currently showing 10+ and I hope that my pre-order with them is now in the post.

Thanks Melmerby, I must have mis-read the stock level, I live in permanent optimism...

and here is an un-edited advertising photo to remind us about this glorious experiment from the age of steam.

R3840_2_W1-Hush-Hush_r1426.jpg.0e354bf80273df65f5f6a4ca6e4b46fc.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

How is Hornby with retailer returns ?

Ive seen an increasing number of retailers listing new damaged stock on ebay (and even Amazon) in the last year, which made me wonder.

The glance I caught of the returns form the shop owner was emailed shortly after contacting the rep made it look a right job, in my eyes. I won't be surprised if he too opts for the evilBay option.

It should be noted of course that returning in this fashion often isn't worth the hassle to a retailer, and this can be said across various other hobbies and industries. It's not like where we as consumers can simply pop it in the post for a refund; it's quite the bureaucratic process, it seems.

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

How is Hornby with retailer returns ?

Ive seen an increasing number of retailers listing new damaged stock on ebay (and even Amazon) in the last year, which made me wonder.

In some industries there is a system in which the supplier gives a refund less an agreed scrap value and the maker of the claim then sells of the damaged or faulty product. I wonder if they have a deal on these lines. It can work well if you are able to sell the items for more than the agreed scrap value.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Morgenergy said:

BUYER BEWARE!

_______________________ hush1.jpg.5e8fb89acd0a3f4a9def5c91e8bea875.jpg

Smashing value!

Check out the front corner of the cab roof as well - crushed on the overhang (yes it should be curved edge to overhang, but this is just crushed). Good luck straightening it without leaving stress marks/imperfections in the grey roof.

So by my account both loco and tender are a write off.

Ive said so many times before that hard plastic packaging damages models unless there is good air space to avoid any contact of fragile parts. Expanded polystyrene was so much better in that respect. Ive had so many models damaged by this packaging.

Yes it looks good. But at what cost?

Hopefully Hornby will replace retailer stock with their own web stock of which they seem to have more than plenty.... especially after slashing retailer orders

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Ive said so many times before that hard plastic packaging damages models unless there is good air space to avoid any contact of fragile parts. Expanded polystyrene was so much better in that respect. Ive had so many models damaged by this packaging.

Yes it looks good. But at what cost?

Was it really?

The problem was that it was in contact with the model in far more places and it damaged paintwork.

Or??

Factory rejects and Hornby have been had over by the maker, they are still boxed up and sent on. I doubt Hornby check every box in a whole container? . Hornby never comment about how they check stock, before sending it on to retailers.

The Tender Front damage look deliberate , to snap the front off like in the photo, would take considerable force.

I have one on order , I will see what else happens today before paying.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Currently showing 10+ and I hope that my pre-order with them is now in the post.

Strange. I reckon TMC were sent more than expected as conversation a couple of days ago revealed over sold. Mine is on it's way but hope it will be in good order from what i have seen here.

I guess it's one way for Hornby to sell more directly from their site (supposed limits on numbers allocated).

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Thanks Melmerby, I must have mis-read the stock level, I live in permanent optimism...

and here is an un-edited advertising photo to remind us about this glorious experiment from the age of steam.

R3840_2_W1-Hush-Hush_r1426.jpg.0e354bf80273df65f5f6a4ca6e4b46fc.jpg

Hoping you get that order in

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Strange. I reckon TMC were sent more than expected as conversation a couple of days ago revealed over sold. Mine is on it's way but hope it will be in good order from what i have seen here.

I guess it's one way for Hornby to sell more directly from their site (supposed limits on numbers allocated).

Strange, because current state of my order shows  still "awaiting stock" and the pre-order (lower) price.

However they have taken the new price from my card on Monday.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Strange, because current state of my order shows  still "awaiting stock" and the pre-order (lower) price.

However they have taken the new price from my card on Monday.

It is strange, as TMC put my price up as well and tried to load me with the DPD delivery charge even though it should be free via Royal mail.

I have been charged £197.99 which seems to be the going rate from retailers but my pre order charge was as below.

image.png.d127f1f39082085963076104a11fa143.png

Perhaps we should get a refund if the prices have increased. Need to check out T & C's as below

image.png.94679b6ca54adfaadeedc0b021cc929e.png

Edited by zr2498
Info added

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Was it really?

The problem was that it was in contact with the model in far more places and it damaged paintwork.

Yes it was better ---- IF there was a layer of foam or tissue paper protecting the model (unlike the childish Youtube reviewers who feed the paper to the cat... it serves an important purpose of avoiding rub marks).  Yes you probably have to replace the tissue paper if you regularly put the model back in the box.

The number of rub marks/pressure points from the new packaging is ridiculous. I had to send back THREE Hornby rebuild light Pacifics before I had one that didnt have one or more of: a) pressure marks on the boiler causing the varnish to 'polish up',  b) rubbed off lining on the tender caused by contact between the tender body and the hard plastic of the tray, c) CRACKED cab roof caused by someone not carefully packaging the model in the factory (or shop)....

And just to say the rubs/pressure marks on the new packaging can occur despite layers of silicon/tissue paper if the packaging is really too tight.

Also there was the case of a batch of Hornby kings with shiny rub marks and even deep scratching due to cut outs on the new packaging

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

It is strange, as TMC put my price up as well and tried to load me with the DPD delivery charge even though it should be free via Royal mail.

I have been charged £197.99 which seems to be the going rate from retailers but my pre order charge was as below.

image.png.d127f1f39082085963076104a11fa143.png

Perhaps we should get a refund if the prices have increased. Need to check out T & C's as below

image.png.94679b6ca54adfaadeedc0b021cc929e.png

Precisely. I don't expect a refund as I needn't have paid.

They ask you to pay the new price, if you refuse, the order is cancelled.

I was asked to pay the new price on Monday, my card was then debited but the order state hasn't been updated.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Precisely. I don't expect a refund as I needn't have paid.

They ask you to pay the new price, if you refuse, the order is cancelled.

I was asked to pay the new price on Monday, my card was then debited but the order state hasn't been updated.

Contrast this with my order with Derails. I was emailed several months ago to the effect that Hornby’s prices had an increase and did I wish to cancel as a result. I had an early warning and an option. I opted for the order to stand. The grey beast is awaiting dispatch to me when I get home. As ever the attitude and customer service are second to none 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

On the subject of transit damage would it be beyound the manufactures to design something like the transit bolts you get on washing machines (much smaller of course before someone points that out).

Maybe, a section of plastic track so that the driving/tender wheels stay in contact with the rails & some light packing to keep any pony/trailing wheels in place.

It can be done with Oxford Diecast cars that are only around a fiver, so surely, now that large OO locomotives are now north of £200 it must be worth looking at ?

I stand to be corrected &/or shot down.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

On the subject of transit damage would it be beyound the manufactures to design something like the transit bolts you get on washing machines (much smaller of course before someone points that out).

Maybe, a section of plastic track so that the driving/tender wheels stay in contact with the rails & some light packing to keep any pony/trailing wheels in place.

It can be done with Oxford Diecast cars that are only around a fiver, so surely, now that large OO locomotives are now north of £200 it must be worth looking at ?

The older style polystyrene packaging had something similar to this.

Recently bought a couple of the original run of Hornby Std 4MT and they came with small L shaped holder screwed onto the base keeper which went down into the polystyrene so stopped movement during transit. Obviously a one time thing as a bit of a pain if unboxing and boxing regularly but served the exact purpose you described as above

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

SLW probably has the best in that regard, it comes in a biscuit tin, in foam, in a plastic display cabinet, inside wrapping and screwed down..

And I still saw a picture of one that still didnt make it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Markn said:

Not sure how they know what it would sound like (?) but found this video which shows one running at least

Considering the original was a four cylinder compound with unusually high initial pressure, they can't.

The rebuild would be just like a super A4

EDIT

Maybe some lineside recordings from the period as a start?

Edited by melmerby