Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

1 hour ago, Morgenergy said:

Goodness gracious, sorry you had to receive it in that condition. My heart sank just looking at it! Couldn't help but notice the plastic flash on the tender wheel in that last photo, as well.

Thank you for the kind words! I do hope this is sorted! I wouldn’t even mind them just sending a new body, instead of shipping a whole loco back and forth. 

I didn’t even notice the plastic flash! But at least that is super easy to clean up and can happen to any company.

I’ve updated my post stating what I’ve found about the packaging. There’s a huge void that causes a pinch point for the deflectors. There’s no stop on top of the loco to keep it from shifting up. Just a random huge void. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ribird said:

I’ve updated my post stating what I’ve found about the packaging. There’s a huge void that causes a pinch point for the deflectors. There’s no stop on top of the loco to keep it from shifting up. Just a random huge void. 

That doesn’t give me much confidence for an 18,000km trip to New Zealand. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That doesn’t give me much confidence for an 18,000km trip to New Zealand. 

Nor me for a delivery to Australia.

I was looking forward to this release but after some of the recent posts I’m starting to become a bit apprehensive about it.

All I can do is wait and see, fingers crossed!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Having seen all of the disappointing news from the Hush Hush, I was relieved to have my W1 arrive safely to the US.  I bought this directly from Hornby's UK website as my original Hatton's order was canceled and this was the only place I could preorder it from. I must say that the shipping box had no form of bubble wrap or padding inside to prevent the models box from being tossed around harshly, so I was very fortunate to receive a pristine model in my hands. I would hope that a model that costs upwards of 240 USD would be better packed, especially if its directly from Hornby.

Stunning model overall! 

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Pity they didn't bother to proof read what they post on social media - the first paragraph doesn't make sense.

And the third paragraph: “Snap one up” is a tad unfortunate in light of the damages shown here. 

:jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Model being sold out is not looking good for those who need replacements for faulty models (customers or retailers). In hindsight, as well as properly checking their packaging, Hornby should have just produced 10000 in grey with an alternative chimney included in the box along with nameplates, for the customer to fit if desired. Then had a single batch of grey 10000 models rather than a split batch. How many customers of the oroginal 10000 will be happy to swap to the fictitious named version?

Obviously another batch will ve produced at some point in the fuure, but when?

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Model being sold out is not looking good for those who need replacements for faulty models (customers or retailers). In hindsight, as well as properly checking their packaging, Hornby should have just produced 10000 in grey with an alternative chimney included in the box along with nameplates, for the customer to fit if desired. Then had a single batch of grey 10000 models rather than a split batch. How many customers of the oroginal 10000 will be happy to swap to the fictitious named version?

Obviously another batch will ve produced at some point in the fuure, but when?

Good idea for us. Hornby would think otherwise. Sell three times as much or perhaps double or less .

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, micklner said:

Good idea for us. Hornby would think otherwise. Sell three times as much or perhaps double or less .

Really. How many people are going to want two near identical versions running around their layout?

Vs how many people will be going without because of limited production runs and damaged models being supplied? 

(just to say I am completely uninvolved in this as, while it is a wonderful model, it is totally outside my modelling landscape, I just feel for those who having ordered in good faith, are unable to get a replacement for a damaged model)

No logic to what people run or buy !!. Hornby will try and wring as much money as possible from a one off Locomotive, the same applies to the A4 shaped version , even one in primer.

The daftest one is the Green lined version which only existed on a Cigaratte card !! .

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, melmerby said:

Has anybody told him?

Also is it something that would be part of his job?

If he reads these pages and we are told he does....... then yes!

Given his job description on Linkedin...........Then yes again:scratchhead:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

How many people are going to want two near identical versions running around their layout?

A fellow club member has, I understand, models of all 35 A4s, so I could see some people wanting models representing each period of the W1's life.

19 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

A fellow club member has, I understand, models of all 35 A4s, so I could see some people wanting models representing each period of the W1's life.

So fine, have original and rebuilt W1, but the named grey and apple green are completely fictitious. I can understand the double chimney element as I believe (happy to be corrected) that it was so fitted just before it was withdrawn for rebuilding.

In hindsight, with the level of rejected models (about 5 faulty samples reported here, more than reports of good ones (albeit many still awaiting receipt of models), it is just a shame that so many grey versions have been produced that are not in the most popular (and prototypical) form.

• RMweb Gold

Arrived today by Royal Mail. Packaged well by TMC and all looks OK (no parts broken). Initial test run - motor a bit noisy but let's see what running in does.

A couple of warnings:

a) The sandpipes are very close to the track so perhaps need a tweek.

b) The front steps are the widest point of the loco and perhaps made worse by the way in which they are secured - splayed outwards slightly. So after loading to Peco Locolift before test, it was catching at the steps and would not exit the lift. Beware of this in case a tight clearances on the layout.

DSC06074.JPG.04c8d0aa515e35d43fb3375c2923fcdd.JPG

A great looking locomotive

DSC06075.JPG.94fdcaba2f2bf5f673d7705c9b00cfce.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

It was always Battleship Grey in service. The apple green was just on a cigarette card. When it was rebuilt it got painted in Garter Blue like the A4's. The rebuilt & streamlined w1 in photographic grey is a fictitious livery too according to the key model world article on it.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/streamlined-w1-gains-photographic-grey

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

I found different photos of the "British Enterprise" model on the Internet - single chimney and double chimney.

Which version is it, please, that Hornby is currently delivering?

I posted this 25th November

For info - a reply from Hornby Customer Technical

image.png.ecc46da62ea6409ced8b57c35be649e5.png

The video recently shown with the British Enterprise had both chimney styles hence the comment above about 1st image

The web site is still incorrect

3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

There only two Correct versions.

The Single Chimney and the Double Chimney, the W1 it carried for a few weeks or less, before rebuilding. The other two are fictious.

Edited by micklner

7 hours ago, ChrisA4 said:

Having seen all of the disappointing news from the Hush Hush, I was relieved to have my W1 arrive safely to the US.  I bought this directly from Hornby's UK website as my original Hatton's order was canceled and this was the only place I could preorder it from. I must say that the shipping box had no form of bubble wrap or padding inside to prevent the models box from being tossed around harshly, so I was very fortunate to receive a pristine model in my hands. I would hope that a model that costs upwards of 240 USD would be better packed, especially if its directly from Hornby.

Stunning model overall! 

This is how mine arrived too! Bought direct from Hornby, and same country as you! Bravo for getting a good model! 

• Like 1