Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robmcg said:

Bad news my R3840 from TMC arrived  well packed, after just month from the UK which is quite good, unmarked inner box, no rattles, I was optimistic.

I' took photos of everything to how another successful delivery, but no, it's a lottery. Broken top front, one side loose in plastic housing, one side cracked.

Sending back from NZ to the poor retailer isn't very appealing, could take a while with current airmail times, but I'll try to think of what best to do other than bleat. 

edit, I lack dexterity but a friend glued it on with polystyrene on a brush , a one-chance cure, and there is just-visible line if you look, adjacent to chimney.  Two or more months for replacement or refund didn't appeal, and to be honest the repair is not bad

Now to find out if it runs well.   Photos to follow if requested. Or even if not requested.  :)   

I suggest you get in touch with TMC and explain (with photos) what has happened, and request a new body shell which should be easier to package and transport. At least you will have a temporary fix. I just wish Hornby would 'man-up' and offer this possibility to all that have the broken deflectors. I expect Hornby already have these ordered (as spares) but you should get onto a list for free replacement.

Dave

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

I suggest you get in touch with TMC and explain (with photos) what has happened, and request a new body shell which should be easier to package and transport. At least you will have a temporary fix. I just wish Hornby would 'man-up' and offer this possibility to all that have the broken deflectors. I expect Hornby already have these ordered (as spares) but you should get onto a list for free replacement.

Dave

Agreed - you've nothing to lose...

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, robmcg said:

Bad news my R3840 from TMC arrived  well packed, after just month from the UK which is quite good, unmarked inner box, no rattles, I was optimistic.

I' took photos of everything to how another successful delivery, but no, it's a lottery. Broken top front, one side loose in plastic housing, one side cracked.

Sending back from NZ to the poor retailer isn't very appealing, could take a while with current airmail times, but I'll try to think of what best to do other than bleat. 

edit, I lack dexterity but a friend glued it on with polystyrene on a brush , a one-chance cure, and there is just-visible line if you look, adjacent to chimney.  Two or more months for replacement or refund didn't appeal, and to be honest the repair is not bad

Now to find out if it runs well.   Photos to follow if requested. Or even if not requested.  :)   

Sorry to hear that Rob.

That seems most unfortunate as TMC packed models seemed to have been, up to now, arriving  intact.

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Sorry to hear that Rob.

That seems most unfortunate as TMC packed models seemed to have been, up to now, arriving  intact.

My photos show that it was perfectly packed with cushioning on all sides inside a larger box, it was unmarked.  No fault there at all.

Must have been (unluckily?) transported upright and downward-facing with weight/vibration/impact  as in normal transhipment from truck to pallet to aircraft etc.

2062578697_Img_1024(2)a_r2080a.jpg.e183402be440c2b36983303e7c9175a9.jpg

Img_1025ab_r2080a.jpg.4aaa8bab9a982337b8a1f0c11ed40310.jpg

IMG_1028abc_r2080a.jpg.2f4f445c89cc5feedb641b91f2a31ace.jpg

Img_1054a_r2080.jpg.2e6a54994a2251fec2c48b2a009cdd0d.jpg

At least the steps are all there. :)

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

That sucks Rob. Wonder if they would send you a replacement body based on the photos alone. Seems like it would be quite expensive to send it all the way back to the Old Country.

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Must have been (unluckily?) transported upright and downward-facing with weight/vibration/impact  as in normal transhipment from truck to pallet to aircraft etc.

Or was damaged prior to despatch, and missed by TMC.  It happens.

• Agree 2

Although some dealers have reported the receipt of damaged models direct from Hornby or their import/transport company,   why do we mostly assume that the bulk of the damage is caused intransit from the store to the buyer.  How can so many models survive the shipping from the manufacturer to the port and then shipping halfway around the world and then the transport to Hornby's wharehouse and yet seemingly suffer no apparent damage (obviously not checked upon receipt)?   I am positive that there is no process inplace at Hornby to mass check models received for condition so why assume that all damage is due internal transport within the UK or in posting to the colonies. 

The inadequate protection provided by Hornby's fulfilment company could certainly account for some of the damage seen.  All blame cannot be placed on the carriers though as it seems that the internal packaging designed to restrain the model is not fit for purpose.  I lost count of the number of Bachmann tender locomotives received that were received with broken drawbar pins.  The design of the internal package was not able to prevent the model moving fore and aft,  resulting in the pin shearing off.  While an easy enough fix it was a fault that should have been avoided in the design process.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Edna Clouds said:

Well done effecting a repair. Although not in NZ, more OSA (other side of Accrington!), mine arrived with a broken smoke deflector that I decided to fix rather than return for a non existent replacement. Not 'as good as new' but well ok for my old eyes.

My old eyes too. I benefitted from a friend who had a go with polystyrene (old Tamiya 10yrss old and half-empty bottle with brush in screwtop).  She had a steadier hand than me, too.

There is a visible line but it's a strong repair.  Any suggestions for re-finishing around the crack?

Img_1055a_r2080a.jpg.87bdc0cdbad2585ac1d58cffd5a3d64c.jpg

Smooth runner, seems very good, usual out-of-gauge steps, but not bad to my eye.

I presume Hornby know about the housing issue, and steps?

I have also bought an R3841 from a local retailer we shall see what unfolds.

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

My photos show that it was perfectly packed with cushioning on all sides inside a larger box, it was unmarked.  No fault there at all.

2062578697_Img_1024(2)a_r2080a.jpg.e183402be440c2b36983303e7c9175a9.jpg

Img_1025ab_r2080a.jpg.4aaa8bab9a982337b8a1f0c11ed40310.jpg

IMG_1028abc_r2080a.jpg.2f4f445c89cc5feedb641b91f2a31ace.jpg

Img_1054a_r2080.jpg.2e6a54994a2251fec2c48b2a009cdd0d.jpg

At least the steps are all there. :)

I would certainly not keep that model.

Best thing that can happen is you send the body shell back to your retailer, and they replace just the body. This has 2 advantages. 1 return shipping is cheaper  and 2 due to light weight, the new body is much much less likely to be damaged.

I know you photoshop your models, but with damage like that the model will be worthless should you ever want to sell it on.

You have paid for brand new, mint model; one without damage on arrival is what you should have. I doubt any repair will be hidden well on such a grey finish.

EDIT - just seen your repair.  you will be hard pushed to re-finish that crack. Its not as if it is a black smokebox and you or a friend can fill and repaint the black area. Any decent repair will need repainting. And good luck colour and finish-matching that.... 

It is often commented that manufacturers won't fix things if people do not return their models. This is a BIG thing to fix, and we don't want to give ammunition to Hornby who can say 'most people were happy/able to fix their models'!

Rob given your past professional work for Hornby (their use of your excellent photo creations), you are probably better placed than most to raise this and get a swift resolution.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I would certainly not keep that model.

Best thing that can happen is you send the body shell back to your retailer, and they replace just the body. This has 2 advantages. 1 return shipping is cheaper  and 2 due to light weight, the new body is much much less likely to be damaged.

I know you photoshop your models, but with damage like that the model will be worthless should you ever want to sell it on.

You have paid for brand new, mint model; one without damage on arrival is what you should have. I doubt any repair will be hidden well on such a grey finish

Airmail to the antipodes is extremely variable in the current world. We'd be looking at 2 months minimum, return. I have a model delivered to NZ Post in the UK (partner to Royal Mail) in early December which hasn't been scanned by NZ Post in the UK yet. Things are in no way 'normal'.

If I sell it on it will be described as damaged, and I'll take loss, in preference to waiting months,  but if my R3841 is also damaged yes I will return it to my local retailer.

True,  I can photo-edit these things away, and will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the greatest of sympathy to all those who have received damaged models of Hush Hush, I'm prompted to ask "Whatever happened to 'the Drop test' for packaged models ?  I recall reading, admittedly some time ago, numerous posts on RMWeb along the lines of ' models in their packaging must be able to withstand being dropped from a height of six feet  without incurring damage.  Was this urban myth or fact and has anyone seen or read that this routine precautionary test of packaging has ceased?

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
punctuation
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

I think Andy Y said future models would have them as owner-fitted?

I've said nothing of the sort.

No, you got crossed wires, Rob.  It was Tony Wright, on P2546 in 'Wright Writes', commenting on a conversation he had with Hornby's Simon Kohler:

'Occasionally, my comments are acted upon - my mentioning to Simon Kohler about the out-of-gauge W1 steps will result in future runs having them as separate items, to be added by the purchaser, or not.'

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Quoted the wrong page number... doh!
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not sure how much such things as drop tests have been done. Nor how useful they are in relation to the modern courier effect or experience.

Here is my damaged - repaired W1    

Digital cameras are cruel, the damage isn't very obvious to my eyes unless pointed out, and then of course it's difficult to 'un-see'. Magnificent model regardless.

Oh and thanks Pete T for clarifying my confusion about steps and Tony Wright's conversation with SK.

Clearly I must be more careful.

Img_1064abcd__r2080a.jpg.e7b2a3decb46133143ca0535c7dadc20.jpg

IMG_1061a_r2080a.jpg.40fd8a3791e8c4b2de8205a066e9a220.jpg

Edited by robmcg
addition

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

My old eyes too. I benefitted from a friend who had a go with polystyrene (old Tamiya 10yrss old and half-empty bottle with brush in screwtop).  She had a steadier hand than me, too.

There is a visible line but it's a strong repair.  Any suggestions for re-finishing around the crack?

Img_1055a_r2080a.jpg.87bdc0cdbad2585ac1d58cffd5a3d64c.jpg

Smooth runner, seems very good, usual out-of-gauge steps, but not bad to my eye.

I presume Hornby know about the housing issue, and steps?

I have also bought an R3841 from a local retailer we shall see what unfolds.

Gently rub with very fine wet and dry , you maybe lucky, the bodies plastic may also be a Grey shade.

As already said by others , I would not have repaired it, send it back once Hornby actually say what they are going to about all the damaged models. I suggest you also email Hornby now , to tell them you have  a damaged model as well.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, micklner said:

Gently rub with very fine wet and dry , you maybe lucky, the bodies plastic may also be a Grey shade.

As already said by others , I would not have repaired it, send it back once Hornby actually say what they are going to about all the damaged models. I suggest you also email Hornby now , to tell them you have  a damaged model as well.

Yes I think a fine abrasive of some type might improve things, cutting compound or similar.

I would return it but I am a long way and much bureaucracy away,  but I'll Email Hornby probably with photos.  I'm curious about the actual prevalence of these occurrences, and Hornby have put a lot of effort into packaging in the past.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Yes I think a fine abrasive of some type might improve things, cutting compound or similar.

I would return it but I am a long way and much bureaucracy away,  but I'll Email Hornby probably with photos.  I'm curious about the actual prevalence of these occurrences, and Hornby have put a lot of effort into packaging in the past.

I think you have to register complaint with Hornby . Hopefully they will send you a new body . I appreciate your logistical difficulties but I would not accept a £200 loco in that state . If you do , then Hornby are getting away with it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Hi Robbie

sorry to see the damage to your model, not easy to return when you are the other side of the planet.

micklner suggests lightly rubbing with fine abrasive paper which is a good idea to smooth the joint where you have glued the broken part, how about some light weathering to the front area to mask the repair.

Good luck with what ever action you take, it’s so sad that all these eagerly awaited new LNER models from Hornby have been an absolute shambles in quality control and finish.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy-ish with my version of this it was the £199.95 British Enterprise version in grey, No damage to report or running issues per se but i have noticed that the steps by the valve gear like to collect platforms and railside furniture and the 2-2 pony trucks do not touch the rails at all, not noticable at speed but you do know its there =/ has anyone come up with any fixes yet as theyre too minor to warrant returning to Hornby TIA 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mainlinefreighter58 said:

Happy-ish with my version of this it was the £199.95 British Enterprise version in grey, No damage to report or running issues per se but i have noticed that the steps by the valve gear like to collect platforms and railside furniture and the 2-2 pony trucks do not touch the rails at all, not noticable at speed but you do know its there =/ has anyone come up with any fixes yet as theyre too minor to warrant returning to Hornby TIA 

a few posts back someone described fitting some thin washers between the rear bogie fitting and the main chassis to lower the bogie marginally

• Like 2

Rather than fine abrasive paper, I'd be tempted to try T-Cut or similar on a cotton bud perhaps?   Test on an area maybe underneath the loco or tender first, but potentially less aggressive, though maybe more effort...

Edited by 828CC
spellling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

why do we mostly assume that the bulk of the damage is caused intransit from the store to the buyer.  How can so many models survive the shipping from the manufacturer to the port and then shipping halfway around the world and then the transport to Hornby's wharehouse and yet seemingly suffer no apparent damage (obviously not checked upon receipt)? 

From factory to wharehouse they are in quite substantial outer cartons & spend a lot of time mechanically handled on pallets ect - far more gentle handling than they recieve when travelling individually & handled by hand by the couriers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I think you have to register complaint with Hornby . Hopefully they will send you a new body . I appreciate your logistical difficulties but I would not accept a £200 loco in that state . If you do , then Hornby are getting away with it. 

I thought the responsibility in law lay with retailer if goods are faulty.

Presumably the retailer eventually achieves redress from Hornby.

Simply informing Hornby of damage to this series of models is amply provided by both this forum and shop returns. Future models will perhaps have padding around the chimney, at a guess.