Budget Model Railways Steam Tram bought, need advice for conversion into a wisbech and upwell tramway Y6 (Toby!)

Hello! recently I was on Budget Model Railways Website and bought Their Steam Tram kit, I'm Hoping to model a Y6 from the wisbech and upwell tramway specifically Toby

1) I never build one of Mike and Douglas's Kits before but am interested to learn

what should I be aware of? 

2) what kinds of tools should be handy near by?

3) what kinds of materials should I have near by?

4) what kind of Detailing should I change so the model looks more accurate

5) is it possible to add interior with the Hornby 0-4-0 motor?

I do not model the wisbech and upwell tramway, the layout I'm modeling is based on Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends Pardoy Series called Thomas in O Gauge by a YouTuber named Mr

James Conductor Set in Winter, One of the "Hand Built" models made by James is Toby the Tram Engine based around a J70 Design unlike Awdrys Y6 which I will be combining both aspects

into the Model, which will have kadees instead of screwlinks, while trying to match the Lionel 0-6-0 Mechanism James used, Hence the reason for buying the "Class D" Hornby 0-4-0 shunter

for use with the Tram Engine kit instead of going with a motor bogie to mimic the Lionel 0-6-0 Thomas mechanism, Personally I cannot wait to build the kit! and I will be very, very excited to

get it in the post.

The Layout the Tram Engine will run on

which is accurate in terms of Track design to James Layout 

587426571_ThomasinOGaugeLayout.jpg.10e7a811f19f1e9a528815ced0c0b352.jpg

Edited by Max's Model Railway

• 7 months later...

I see that no one has replied to you yet, and you've probably built your model months ago. but here's my rather belated reply.

The first Wisbech & Upwell locos were the 0-4-0 Y6, see https://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y6.php for more information and pictures of the Y6

When the line needed more powerful locos these were replaced by the 0-6-0 J70, see https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php for more information and pictures of the J70

However, externally the two bodies are virtually identical as the side skirts and cowcatchers hide the wheel and cylinder arrangement. as those more knowedgeable than I about the LNER say " If the side skirts were fitted, it was generally difficult to tell the new J70s from the older Y6s."

I've had a look at the Budget Kit online, https://www.budgetmodelrailways.co.uk/store/p22/OO_GAUGE_BMR_STEAM_TRAMWAY_LOCO_BODY.html#/ and from looking at the assembly instructions it looks to consist of 12 pieces, Floor, 2 Sides, 2 Ends, a Roof, 2 cowcatchers and 4 Buffers. They say it just clips on to the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. If that's the case, all you'll need is some superglue. As it is so obviously inspired by the Y6/J70 locos you don't need to do anything to turn it into a Y6.

Put it together, apart from the roof, and fit the Hornby chassis, then you'll see how much space there is left inside for detailing.

So you shouldn't need to be aware of anything special when assembling it, or need any special tools.

As regards exterior detailing, look at the photos in the links that I've given you and decide for yourself what's necessary and within your capabilities.

Edited by GoingUnderground