Image - Ben Brooksbank

image.png

Picture of test print taken at Margate last month

H2020_78000_1.jpg.7a6a9d62cff305c261bdcbd98206b92f.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing that Graham. I was a bit surprised that Hornby picked this one up as I was more expecting it to come from Bachman, given the fact that they do the LMS version from which it was derived. 

Hopefully H will go on & do the 84xxx sometime, as some of those saw some service on BR(S).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

At least it's better than the old Hornby Ivatt, I still have bad memories of that.  :lol:

Actually it's the model that I'm probably most interested in out of the announcement. A class that got virtually everywhere apart from the Southern.

78000 spent ten years at Machynlleth. That's do me.  :D

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Mike

This is only a test print for the main items and the available wheels used in this instance do not necessarily reflect those that will be used on the final model.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree that Bachmann seem to have dropped the ball with this one, having produced most of the smaller standard classes, they froze before doing the Class 2s and Class 3 tender, despite having done much of the work with the Ivatt Class 2 chassis in both tank and tender versions and the Class 3 tank. Hoping that they will go on to do the Standard 2 tank. Will definitely have a couple of these tender types.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, prtrainman said:

Thanks for sharing that Graham. I was a bit surprised that Hornby picked this one up as I was more expecting it to come from Bachman, given the fact that they do the LMS version from which it was derived. 

For several years there have been requests for Bachmann to introduce it. They had every chance to do so but decided on other priorities.

Well done Hornby.

It is about all that is of interest to me at first glance through the 2020 list.

It will fit in with my current plans very nicely even down to having a version that I can use as it is without an identity change.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's hoping that they produce it with a more "Bachmann" style unlike the duplicated class 4 4-6-0 which did not ring true to me with it's blinged up fittings etc.

It will have to be stunning to justify the cost for me, but if it is then I might not be able to resist. Die Cast boiler etc would make it a really good hauler and we know Hornby can do these really well now ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham for posting these images. For me the star of the announcements from Hornby. 

Like others have mentioned I thought Bachmann would be doing this model. 

Nevertheless I will be ordering a couple to become 15B's 78020 and 78021. 

Brilliant news all round :D

Cheers, 

Mark ;)

Edited by 46444
  • Agree 4

I see 3 versions have been announced - I'm guessing that the liveries will be as follows but would welcome confirmation or correction:

R3836 Black without lining and later logo

R3838 Black with lining and early logo

R3839 Green with lining and later logo

There's no indication of liveries on the Hornby website so before placing an order, I'd like to know how each will be finished.

TIA,

Stan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stanley Melrose said:

I see 3 versions have been announced - I'm guessing that the liveries will be as follows but would welcome confirmation or correction:

R3836 Black without lining and later logo

R3838 Black with lining and early logo

R3839 Green with lining and later logo

There's no indication of liveries on the Hornby website so before placing an order, I'd like to know how each will be finished.

TIA,

Stan

From what everyone has said, 78000 will be unlined green, a first for Hornby on any of their mixed traffic locos that were lined br green, and 78047 is gonna be lined br black with late crests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 46444 said:

Thanks Graham for posting these images. For me the star of the announcements from Hornby. 

Like others have mentioned I thought Bachmann would be doing this model. 

Nevertheless I will be ordering a couple to become 15B's 78020 and 78021. 

Brilliant news all round :D

Cheers, 

Mark ;)

Ah, "GE" models, reaching Cambridge on the Kettering trains!

Stewart

(Almost finished by Michel Edge/Crownline/Bachmann hybrid of 78021).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Ah, "GE" models, reaching Cambridge on the Kettering trains!

Stewart

(Almost finished by Michel Edge/Crownline/Bachmann hybrid of 78021).

Likewise Stewart I've an LMS Ivatt and a Michael Edge conversion kit waiting in the wings to do one of the 15B twins but I'd been holding out for the announcements. 

Now the donor Ivatt will be saved for another project or sold. 

Look forwards to seeing progress on your 78021 mind. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Altho the topic got locked yesterday for reasons I couldnt really understand dare I say at this early stage how distinctive that beveled front pony wheel is on the prototype and how little the Hornby pony wheel looks like it.

Hopefully it will have the right number of spokes, the BR Standard bogie wheel was the same as a Princess/Duchess wheel - 9 spoke with bevel rim.

Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

According to the RCTS History of BR Standard Steam Locos Vol 2 78000 was painted in unlined green in April 1961 at Swindon and repainted into lined black at Crewe in October 1964.

Allocation 12/1952 Oswestry 04/1953 Machynlleth 05/1963 Nottingham 01/1964 Derby 06/1965 Withdrawn.

78010 12/1953 West Auckland 03/1955 Northallerton 03/1963 Polmadie 05/1963 Motherwell 06/1963 Darlington 11/1963 Farnley Junction 04/1964 Crewe South 09/1966 Withdrawn

78047 10/1955 Hawick 10/1965 St Margaret’s 01/1966 Bathgate 09/1966 St Margaret’s 09/1966 Withdrawn.

Hornby list 78000 as Era 5 so does this cover 1961 to 1964?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, davefrk said:

Hopefully it will have the right number of spokes, the BR Standard bogie wheel was the same as a Princess/Duchess wheel - 9 spoke with bevel rim.

Dave.

Hornby have this wheel already in their range, right? Both drivers and pony wheels wheels on the 3D print are clearly placeholders - there's no bevel on the drivers either. 

Cautiously excited by this, especially as they are doing a Berwick, Kelso and St Boswell's regular, 78047. I think I'm right in saying that 78047 is the first ever ready-to-run model of a Hawick loco? 

Let's hope if the boiler is metal they don't make the usual mess of it with visible seam lines (though to be fair they do that on plastic too.) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

According to the RCTS History of BR Standard Steam Locos Vol 2 78000 was painted in unlined green in April 1961 at Swindon and repainted into lined black at Crewe in October 1964.

Allocation 12/1952 Oswestry 04/1953 Machynlleth 05/1963 Nottingham 01/1964 Derby 06/1965 Withdrawn.

78010 12/1953 West Auckland 03/1955 Northallerton 03/1963 Polmadie 05/1963 Motherwell 06/1963 Darlington 11/1963 Farnley Junction 04/1964 Crewe South 09/1966 Withdrawn

78047 10/1955 Hawick 10/1965 St Margaret’s 01/1966 Bathgate 09/1966 St Margaret’s 09/1966 Withdrawn.

Hornby list 78000 as Era 5 so does this cover 1961 to 1964?

Thanks

hmmmmm

so 78010 is the most probable visitor to a North Notts coalmine in 1959?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

...Let's hope if the boiler is metal they don't make the usual mess of it with visible seam lines (though to be fair they do that on plastic too.) 

So far the use of largely die cast loco bodies including the boiler on smaller locos (the ones I have are J15, D16/3, B12/3) has been very successful in my opinion. Appearance is fine, and the resulting extra weight useful for traction and pick up efficiency. I would hope to see this technique extended throughout the range over time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Logically we (i.e. me) will hope that 78000 will appear in the unlined 'economy' green livery.  However I do wonder about the RCTS information as the 19691 and 1964 shopping dates suggests that the engine might also have been shopped in 1958 by which time Swindon would have been painting 78XXX in lined green (which a number of the Welsh allocated engines definitely carried).  We will no doubt find out in due course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

78010 was allocated to Bishop Auckland, any evidence for it operating passenger trains over the Stainmore line?

There will be. Anything allocated to West Auckland (the shed for Bishop) will certainly have been over Stainmore.

Have to say that its a fantastic move by Hornby and stealing a march on Bachmann who have had their Ivatt 2MT chassis there for years but never changed the top to do BR standard 2MT. You watch them go for it now and have duplication. Will be great to see the model take place amongst other transtition period North Eastern stuff too and fits perfectly into Hornbys North Eastern stable away from the mainlines, with B1, K1, Q6, L1 already done.

I did notice someone saying that they were waiting for a green one. To my knowledge only 78022 has carried green and that has been in preservation.

Other thing could be to come: A Snowdrift at Bleath Gill pack...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1