New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

2 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

Am I right in thinking some Standard 2MTs were used in the North Eastern Region? 

Trying to justify another addition to a full shopping list!

Most certainly. They were invaluable over Stainmore. Most of them were built at Darlington and pressed straight into traffic in the nearby area. Several were allocated to local sheds for years before they were then moved on when DMUS took over.

I did read that the Shedmaster at Kirkby Stephen moved jobs to Northallerton. The first thing he did was transfer all his 2MTs to 51J!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Most certainly. They were invaluable over Stainmore. Most of them were built at Darlington and pressed straight into traffic in the nearby area. Several were allocated to local sheds for years before they were then moved on when DMUS took over.

I did read that the Shedmaster at Kirkby Stephen moved jobs to Northallerton. The first thing he did was transfer all his 2MTs to 51J!

One is the (frozen) star of Snowdrift at Bleath Gill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugIoMD495E

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

One is the (frozen) star of Snowdrift at Bleath Gill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugIoMD495E

78018 is the engine that got stuck in the drift and is now preserved! 78019 was one that went to get it. To be honest would love a list of all those engines involved in rescue but never been able to find it. Thing is if you watch at the end when the engine is moved away, the formation of rescue engines changes from at least 3 Ivatt or BR standard 2s to include a J21 or J25 in set.

With the snowplough being done as a model too I can see the idea of getting some of these involved being highly popular.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Oh dear. One only had to read two posts up.

78000-KingsSutton_1956-Weathering.jpg.c519c683a8cca1d25a66c31ba3db1e10.jpg

True. My thinking was that lined green has not been carried, which would have borne out to be correct. I know that some decried the livery of 78022 when it re-entered traffic as it was not 'authentic' but to be honest its nicely done, suits the engine and is looking very fine. Perhaps that's another one for the Hornby run next year?

Besides would love to see someone model this:

steam_on_stainmore_drawing_complete_by_jamesdean123-d75c1yn.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

True. My thinking was that lined green has not been carried, which would have borne out to be correct. I know that some decried the livery of 78022 when it re-entered traffic as it was not 'authentic' but to be honest its nicely done, suits the engine and is looking very fine. Perhaps that's another one for the Hornby run next year?

steam_on_stainmore_drawing_complete_by_jamesdean123-d75c1yn.jpg

Looks like that's been 'photoshopped' or 'cut and pasted'. The direction of the shadows on the loco and first two wagons don't match those on the hoppers, which don't have any.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

The viaduct was modelled in 4mm and displayed for the 1975 S&D centenary celebrations. Not quite sure of the date but an article about it appeared in about the Sept. 1975 Model Railways.

If Hornby should do a West Auckland 780xx it would be good to see it decorated with Gordon Reeds signature white surround to the smokebox door dart. Nice tribute to a man that did a lot for Steam preservation.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, scots region said:

Excellent, no I have an excuse to model the Kirkcudbright Branch, by which I mean I have an excuse to buy one and claim its for that purpose. 

Don't immediately recall seeing a picture of one at Kirkcudbright or on that branch.   Dumfries, Stranraer, Newton Stewart and Whithorn branch - yes or pretty certain.

• Like 2

Just now, 26power said:

Don't immediately recall seeing a picture of one at Kirkcudbright or on that branch.   Dumfries, Stranraer, Newton Stewart and Whithorn branch - yes or pretty certain.

You're right, in fact the lightmoor book doesn't have a photo of one on the Whithorn branch either. Maybe I was thinking of the Stanier 3MT and got the two conflated. 

• Like 2

Just now, scots region said:

You're right, in fact the lightmoor book doesn't have a photo of one on the Whithorn branch either. Maybe I was thinking of the Stanier 3MT and got the two conflated. 

Lightmoor book?

I'm maybe getting my recollections of LMS and BR 2-6-0s muddled, hence my qualifying my response.  I will check pictures when I can. 

Stanier 3MT's  though were certainly on Kirkcudbright branch.  Judith Edge kits seem to be working towards an etched kit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 26power said:

Lightmoor book?

I'm maybe getting my recollections of LMS and BR 2-6-0s muddled, hence my qualifying my response.  I will check pictures when I can. 

Stanier 3MT's  though were certainly on Kirkcudbright branch.  Judith Edge kits seem to be working towards an etched kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Road-Stranraer-Portpatrick-Kirkcudbright/dp/1911038214/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2WMX6Z9TE9AJ7&keywords=the+port+road&qid=1578401613&sprefix=The+port+roa%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

The viaduct was modelled in 4mm and displayed for the 1975 S&D centenary celebrations. Not quite sure of the date but an article about it appeared in about the Sept. 1975 Model Railways.

If Hornby should do a West Auckland 780xx it would be good to see it decorated with Gordon Reeds signature white surround to the smokebox door dart. Nice tribute to a man that did a lot for Steam preservation.

I've done 63398 with that exact embellishment!

• Like 2

A very welcome arrival for me- I'd been focussing more on pre-nationalisation these days and already have a Bachmann Ivatt, but this one will be too much to resist- not only because I've done a fair bit of mileage behind the GCR's pair, but also it's pretty much an essential for a long-held ambition to model a bit of the Leicester West Bridge branch, where 78013 & 78028 (with slightly cut-down cabs to fit through Glenfield Tunnel) replaced the veteran Midland 2Fs for the last couple of years before closure

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scots region said:

Sorry for going even further OT.

If you do want that book then go for the edition that comes with a CD containing the drawings.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you model the Waverley or the Kelso line you’ve got to buy four, 78046 to 78049....:D

i said on here some some years ago that the Standard 2 would have been an easy win for Bachmann and promptly had the p taken out of me by a couple of people....not sure why but there you are

Edited by D9001
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

78018 is the engine that got stuck in the drift and is now preserved! 78019 was one that went to get it. To be honest would love a list of all those engines involved in rescue but never been able to find it. Thing is if you watch at the end when the engine is moved away, the formation of rescue engines changes from at least 3 Ivatt or BR standard 2s to include a J21 or J25 in set.

With the snowplough being done as a model too I can see the idea of getting some of these involved being highly popular.

Try The Stephenson Locomotive Society Journal number 361 dated June 1955, article by JW Armstrong entitled Snow (pages 200-201) possibly available from the Vintage Carriage Trusts magazine store at Ingrow (Google will find it for you). It describes each train and plough as it got stuck, (78018/82027 were not alone in getting stuck on Stainmore and a lot of crews ended up walking home)...it doesn't however mention the cavalcade from West Auckland that rescued 78018, probably because most of the 'fun and games' had finished by then.  In among the crew rescuing 78018 is West Auckland's Charge-hand fitter Fred Wilcock (A/Box's grandfather) who was the same age as I am now...can't make him out in the film though, which is a pity.

A/box

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Invicta said:

A very welcome arrival for me- I'd been focussing more on pre-nationalisation these days and already have a Bachmann Ivatt, but this one will be too much to resist- not only because I've done a fair bit of mileage behind the GCR's pair, but also it's pretty much an essential for a long-held ambition to model a bit of the Leicester West Bridge branch, where 78013 & 78028 (with slightly cut-down cabs to fit through Glenfield Tunnel) replaced the veteran Midland 2Fs for the last couple of years before closure

Similar to what would've happened to ten of the tank loco version (840xx) had the IoW idea gone ahead in 1965, - ah well!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Oh dear. One only had to read two posts up.

78000-KingsSutton_1956-Weathering.jpg.c519c683a8cca1d25a66c31ba3db1e10.jpg

78008 the last Stafford Road works/shed pilot( then Oxley) was unlined green - a mate of mine had the smokebox number plate from it, and took it home across the handle-bars of his push-bike, it was a long way to push a bike with that number-plate from Oxley shed to the Willenhall side of Wednesfield!!??. Cor, like London buses this, nothing for a while, then 3 in one go!!!:sungum:  

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Axlebox said:

Charge-hand fitter Fred Wilcock (A/Box's grandfather) who was the same age as I am now

So will you be as skill-full as your Grandpappy whence fitting up a set of these.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_047.htm

There will be at least two generations looking down down to make sure you get it right and I'm sure a perfect Stainmore storm (complete with forked lightning) will ensue if you get it "wrang".

• Like 2

On 06/01/2020 at 14:41, Steamport Southport said:

At least it's better than the old Hornby Ivatt, I still have bad memories of that.  :lol:

My memories are good. On a visit to the Severn Valley Railway, I was told that I could cab any loco so long as it wasn’t in steam. That sort of thing isn’t allowed nowadays. At the time, most NRM locos were sanitised – to cab a loco with no crew but with coal on the floor and water in the boiler was a big thrill. I treasure 46521 for all its shortcomings because the full-size version was one I cabbed.

• Like 2