New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Some clarification is needed as to the liveries proposed. Hornby don't say what colour or lining is being used for anything, just era numbers.

For 78010 Hornby quote Era 4, which I assume to be Lined Black, Early Emblem. Hattons say Late Black. The post above say Late Emblem Black, which would be as the picture I posted.

For 78000 Hornby quote Era 5. Hattons say Late Unlined Green. The post above say Early Emblem Lined Black, which is the livery it was carrying in mid-1956. In 1961 it appears to be carrying Unlined Green Late Crest ex-works at Swindon.

For 78047 Hornby quote Era 5 and the picture they used shows it when carrying Lined Black Late Crest. Hattons say Late Black. The post above say Lined Green Late Crest.

Confused, The Dark Peak.

No, the Hattons website marks R3838 (78010) in br lined black with early emblem.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

This was the photo I alluded to earlier. Probably black thinking about it.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-br/br/2mt-2-6-0/hA0FB3A08#ha0fb3a08

Jason

If the photos are accurately dated, and judging by that photo and the usual shopping intervals it could well be that 78000 had been painted in the original unlined green and went from that to 'economy green'.  I definitely can't recall seeing any of them in black on the Cambrian c.1959/60 (or in black at Swindon).

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

The RCTS Volume 2 on BR Standard locomotives (table 59 Page 237) has full details of which locos were green, lined or unlined and when (all post 1957) which should provide any answers you need. 78000 was not green until 4/1961 and possibly reverted to black in 1964 by when it was on the LMR.

Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 43129@stainmore said:

The RCTS Volume 2 on BR Standard locomotives (table 59 Page 237) has full details of which locos were green, lined or unlined and when (all post 1957) which should provide any answers you need. 78000 was not green until 4/1961 and possibly reverted to black in 1964 by when it was on the LMR.

Richard

Very helpful as it also gives a solid date for an application of 'economy green' livery.

Hi, do we know if the Hornby Model of 78047 will be in late 50’s/early 60’s condition with late loco, AWS and speedometer cable attachment. Also does anyone know exactly which year the AWS and speedometers were fitted?
thanks Fred/Alistair 

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, do we know if the Hornby Model of 78047 will be in late 50’s/early 60’s condition with late loco, AWS and speedometer cable attachment. Also does anyone know exactly which year the AWS and speedometers were fitted?
thanks Fred/Alistair 

The RCTS book states that "several" not operating on the WR acquired AWS in the early 1960s. Also that the majority had Smith Stone speedometers either from new or acquired later. There is no individual breakdown of modifications to each locomotive so its a matter of studying photographs of 78047. It does not feature in the RCTS book, Locomotives Illustrated 26 has an undated lined late emblem photo of it at St Boswells with a AWS battery on the firemans side just in front of the cab.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby is displaying an EP of the 2MT on their stand at Model Rail Scotland this weekend, rather than the 3D printed model we have seen before.  Even at this stage, the detail is fine, especially the handrails which are incredibly fine.

I suspect someone managed to get photographs, which hopefully will appear here soon.

John Storey

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hornby have just provided an update of the 78xx and other models here.  Looks like a nice little model although I don't think the photo caption is correct - doesn't look like Barmouth Junction to me and it had already been renamed Morfa Mawddach by 1960 (when the photo claims to have been taken in 1961).  

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/british-railways-standard-2mt-2-6-0-update-on-new-liveries?utm_campaign=2610846_Hornby - The Engine Shed - Week 48 2019%2F2020&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,1JYJI,GUV76,594EX,1

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

image.png.55c75b7c76d1e5262c1476e5bf2cabfd.png

This looks like metal fittings including boiler etc. What a fantastic way forward to put weight into this little beauty.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Tell me and I shall delete it.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Spelling
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

This looks like metal fittings including boiler etc. What a fantastic way forward to put weight into this little beauty.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned...

Never apologise! I feel Hornby haven't got nearly enough credit for this, first seen on the J15 I think. I would like this construction to become standard. (Hornby will probably announce an all new metal loco body 8F just as I get my H-D 8F body/current Hornby 8F mechanism combo finished. I was a bit lost for a contraction in the 'Hornmann', 'Bachby', etc. style for this mash up, until the entirely obvious solution occurred to me: it's a Hornby-Dubly!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, JohnR said:

It refers to the last picture of their measuring visit which features the prototype shunter. Also a very small glimpse of the S160 tucked in the shed in one of the other pictures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2020 at 13:38, Pre Grouping fan said:

It refers to the last picture of their measuring visit which features the prototype shunter. Also a very small glimpse of the S160 tucked in the shed in one of the other pictures. 

S160? Good spot! It would be a reasonable assumption that Hornby measured it whilst there. There is demand for one. Perhaps it will be sprung on us unannounced. I hope so.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Does anybody know which, if any, locos were unlined. I thought the whole class carried mixed traffic lining?

Apart from the passenger lined green, plain green and plain black ones then?  ;) 

Already been discussed earlier in the thread with photos. But I haven't got a full list of which ones got which livery as I haven't got the relevant RCTS book.

Jason

I often put weight into the larger locomotives - 8P Pacifics for example.

Not certain the heavy metal body is necessary for traction reasons .... it is only a 2MT, so probably shouldn't need to pull more than perhaps 4 or 5 carriages.

Just a thought.

Al.

11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I often put weight into the larger locomotives - 8P Pacifics for example.

Not certain the heavy metal body is necessary for traction reasons .... it is only a 2MT, so probably shouldn't need to pull more than perhaps 4 or 5 carriages.

Just a thought.

Al.

So not able to pull the trains it pulled in reality then? I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of one (or an Ivatt version) deputising on The Cambrian Coast Express. Also they pulled heavy trains over Talerddig and in the North East.

Even the preserved examples pull a lot more than five coaches on a regular basis. Often about 8 or 9,

I think Hornby know what they are doing. If they release an underpowered model then we will all complain that our models can't pull a reasonable size train.

Jason

• Agree 1

Just out of interest why did they make a 2MT with a tender? Was it simply that they wanted the extra water and coal capacity vs a tank or something else such as axle weight? As I understand it they are almost mechanically identical to the tanks?