New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Agreed.   It's a well detailed, die cast, and complex shape tender locos with outside cylinders and Walcheart's valve gear, not much different in terms of production costs to an A2, and what it costs is what it costs.  Perhaps it wouldd be educational to compare it with the original Triang Hornby Ivatt 2MT, based around a Black Princess derived chassis blocks and mech, easily available on 'Bay if that's more your thing.

I don't know. I bought a Bachmann Ivatt a couple of weeks ago for £60 brand new. Bargain.

Nothing wrong with it apart from the mass of spaghetti linking loco and tender. RRP of that is £144.95.

I think that's the model we should be comparing it to. Not something that Noah kicked out of the Ark because it was a dinosaur.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Shall we just get the Route Availability right please.  'RA whatever' was of course totally irrelevant on the WR when these engines were running on the Region because the GWR RA system applied to them.  The 78XXX Standards were classified as 'Uncoloured' under the Western system.  And just to go a little bit further the WR RA booklets said the following of the original LMS 'Mickey Mouse' Class 2 design, quote - 'Route availability as for B.R. Class 2 78XXX'.

So as far as the WR was concerned the two designs were completely interchangeable for RA purposes.  Uncoloured engines were permitted on the whole of the Mid Wales route from Moat Lane through to Brecon hence the 78XXX class would have been permitted over the Mid Wales route.

But we then need to think about the way in which the engines were used and allocated.  The 465XX series engines, which were the first new Class 2 2-6-0s to arrive in the Oswestry District basically went onto the Mid Wales route to replace life expired ex GWR engines and it would have been ridiculous to send 78XXX engines to the Mid Wales route sheds once it had enough new engines and shed staff were familiar with them and spares had been taken into stock.  Hence the 78XXX series replaced life expired engines on the Cambrian being shared between Oswestry and Machynlleth although some left the area relatively early.  So no RA concerns but more a matter of the practical management of fleet allocation. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Shall we just get the Route Availability right please.  'RA whatever' was of course totally irrelevant on the WR when these engines were running on the Region because the GWR RA system applied to them.  The 78XXX Standards were classified as 'Uncoloured' under the Western system.  And just to go a little bit further the WR RA booklets said the following of the original LMS 'Mickey Mouse' Class 2 design, quote - 'Route availability as for B.R. Class 2 78XXX'.

So as far as the WR was concerned the two designs were completely interchangeable for RA purposes.  Uncoloured engines were permitted on the whole of the Mid Wales route from Moat Lane through to Brecon hence the 78XXX class would have been permitted over the Mid Wales route.

But we then need to think about the way in which the engines were used and allocated.  The 465XX series engines, which were the first new Class 2 2-6-0s to arrive in the Oswestry District basically went onto the Mid Wales route to replace life expired ex GWR engines and it would have been ridiculous to send 78XXX engines to the Mid Wales route sheds once it had enough new engines and shed staff were familiar with them and spares had been taken into stock.  Hence the 78XXX series replaced life expired engines on the Cambrian being shared between Oswestry and Machynlleth although some left the area relatively early.  So no RA concerns but more a matter of the practical management of fleet allocation. 

That’s an interesting perspective so thanks for that Mike.My records show 78000 (89C) on shed at Moat Lane on 1/9/1956.The first batch went to the ex- Cambrian lines and I saw several members of the class over the next five years on holiday trips to North Wales.I lived in hope of seeing a train of any kind from the A 470 between Three Cocks ,Builth and Llanidloes but never did despite frequent trips with my father along that road which followed the line for much of the way .Flanders & Swan missed out on the Mid Wales line in their song “On The Slow Train”. Maybe due to the unpronounceabilty for them of the Welsh language,ever a problem for those from this side of Offas Dyke.

I have every sympathy,especially when I occasionally hear prominent news readers mangle it on both radio & tv.:wub:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

In this video Hornby shows a render of 78022 in as preserved condition, BR Lined Green as a collectors club exclusive model

Well, that's going to sell a membership to me, I was considering it anyway but this is the deciding factor

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 12:35, TomScrut said:

Well, that's going to sell a membership to me, I was considering it anyway but this is the deciding factor

I've been considering buying a membership for some time, but this offer will probably push me into doing so. I had been considering the unlined green version, but would far prefer the fully lined BR green livery.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, apollanaut said:

I've been considering buying a membership for some time, but this offer will probably push me into doing so. I had been considering the unlined green version, but would far prefer the fully lined BR green livery.

I prefer the lined too, but also that I am interested in present day.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

This looks like it may 'secretly' be one of Hornby's star products, at a relatively reasonable list price as well!

Al.

Yes I was surprised it was cheaper than RRP as well. Although I think the exclusive Terrier from last year was a bit cheaper too.

Just seems odd it seems to have stealthed it's way onto the site.

On 09/02/2021 at 11:48, No Decorum said:

I think I’ll stick to black. After getting an A2/2, I can’t trust Hornby to produce a decent GWR or BR green.

No worries man.  Even BR couldn't produce consistent BR Greens.  

7629springsbranch73.jpg

Pic by Tom Such, linked directly from Derby Sulzers Website:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/7629springsbranch73.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/11/2020 at 14:39, Ian Hargrave said:

That’s an interesting perspective so thanks for that Mike.My records show 78000 (89C) on shed at Moat Lane on 1/9/1956.The first batch went to the ex- Cambrian lines and I saw several members of the class over the next five years on holiday trips to North Wales.I lived in hope of seeing a train of any kind from the A 470 between Three Cocks ,Builth and Llanidloes but never did despite frequent trips with my father along that road which followed the line for much of the way .Flanders & Swan missed out on the Mid Wales line in their song “On The Slow Train”. Maybe due to the unpronounceabilty for them of the Welsh language,ever a problem for those from this side of Offas Dyke.

I have every sympathy,especially when I occasionally hear prominent news readers mangle it on both radio & tv.:wub:

Interesting comments.  Just been browsing some Cambrian books and found a photo of 78007 working a three coach local away from Llanbadarn crossing to the east of Aberystwyth.   The caption reads "from about 1953 onwards many of the older classes of locomotives were removed from the stock books and replaced by new BR standard classes.  Of six new standard class 2  2-6-0 locomotives allocated to Machynlleth, 78002 and 78003 were stationed at Portmadoc where they replaced some Cambrian 0-6-0s."

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Would really like to order 78022 but there's an issue and they can't process new members/renewals atm :(

They are running background checks on new members.

you must have failed vetting

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• 1 month later...