New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

I was intending to purchase the Hornby Standard 2MT as I am a Cambrian enthusiast and currently planing a layout based on the Cambrian Railways. Unfortunately the firebox on Hornby's new model is too long, the comparison seen in Hornby's advert on page 167 of the May Issue of Hornby Magazine shows this quite cleary on 78010, other than that it is a nice model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

I was intending to purchase the Hornby Standard 2MT as I am a Cambrian enthusiast and currently planing a layout based on the Cambrian Railways. Unfortunately the firebox on Hornby's new model is too long, the comparison seen in Hornby's advert on page 167 of the May Issue of Hornby Magazine shows this quite cleary on 78010, other than that it is a nice model.

I’d take a closer look at that image if I were you. Don’t forget some of the firebox is hidden in shadow from the cab. That big a cock up would be well out of Hornbys usual good work. Looks pretty close in this comparison from similar angles. 

53E25E4A-FFEB-4D14-9F54-A5218C392AAD.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added photo.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’d take a closer look at that image if I were you. Don’t forget some of the firebox is hidden in shadow from the cab. That big a cock up would be well out of Hornbys usual good work. Looks pretty close in this comparison from similar angles. 

53E25E4A-FFEB-4D14-9F54-A5218C392AAD.jpeg

2mt_es_4.jpg

Comparing 2 pics from earlier in the thread I agree, doesn't look too long at all.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Could you please quantify "too".

Bernard

• Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

I'm truly astonished at the lack of discussion/ anticipation on display for this loco. It's been on my radar for 41years!  Guess it was just me getting excited then ...:lol:

Davy

So was I until Hornby started messing us about.

The Collectors Club version disappeared without trace and then so did the pre-orders I had. Along with many of the places that are selling them not having them available for pre-order. Some of which are now no longer stocking Hornby.

Bought two Bachmann Ivatt 2MTs for the same price as one of these instead....

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Collectors Club version disappeared without trace

Yes it was odd was that. My order is still sat there on my account but there is no sign of it anywhere (or there wasn't last time I looked)

It is also worth noting I don't think it officially got announced so it could have been a premature listing on the website.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So was I until Hornby started messing us about.

The Collectors Club version disappeared without trace and then so did the pre-orders I had. Along with many of the places that are selling them not having them available for pre-order. Some of which are now no longer stocking Hornby.

Bought two Bachmann Ivatt 2MTs for the same price as one of these instead....

Jason

Lovely models the Bachmann 2MT’s. Look the part, sweet runners and powerful for the size. Only real enhancement would be some representation of  the inner frames and a neater way of running the wiring from the loco to the tender.

The Hornby Standard 2mt will appear sooner or later and after the initial feeding frenzy will be easily available perhaps at a lower price if you’re prepared to wait a while. Can’t think of a recent Hornby model that hasn’t been properly discounted at some point after release, especially from the higher priced steam releases. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

After the retailer who is supplying mine rang yesterday. They have been put back to the autumn and a 10% price increase to boot if they don’t appear before 31/07/2021 ( that’s on all Hornby products). So looking like 10% more. Poor on Hornby’s part when the model should have been here last January. I just hope it’s worth the wait and the extra cost. It’s also been on my wanted list for the last 20 years since I finished my DJH model back in 2000.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Lovely models the Bachmann 2MT’s. Look the part, sweet runners and powerful for the size. Only real enhancement would be some representation of  the inner frames and a neater way of running the wiring from the loco to the tender.

The Hornby Standard 2mt will appear sooner or later and after the initial feeding frenzy will be easily available perhaps at a lower price if you’re prepared to wait a while. Can’t think of a recent Hornby model that hasn’t been properly discounted at some point after release, especially from the higher priced steam releases. 

Yes, the Bachmanns were a welcome improvement on the ancient Hornby offering. Nevertheless, I’m still very fond of 46521 because I was allowed to clamber over it on the Severn Valley Railway (once upon a time, that was permitted). I, for one another, am looking forward to Hornby’s closing another gap in the range of Standards. I can’t help feeling that it was a missed opportunity for Bachmann.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that when I was getting hot under the collar about Bachmann's 94xx a while back there were those here that re-assured me that it would turn up eventually and be worth the wait, which it was, and I paid a very low price for it as well, so am doubly pleased.  It's my turn now, to re-assure those waiting for the 78xxx that it will turn up eventually and will I am sure turn out to have been worth the wait; it looks like a fine model that will showcase what Hornby are capable of, which is a very high standard indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, the Bachmanns were a welcome improvement on the ancient Hornby offering. Nevertheless, I’m still very fond of 46521 because I was allowed to clamber over it on the Severn Valley Railway (once upon a time, that was permitted). I, for one another, am looking forward to Hornby’s closing another gap in the range of Standards. I can’t help feeling that it was a missed opportunity for Bachmann.

46521 was named “Blossom” while being used for filming of the sadly curtailed comedy series “Oh Doctor Beeching”.

https://www.svrwiki.com/LMS_Ivatt_Class_2_46521

20484B18-DFA4-4BA7-8CCE-DEE5E1A7ADD3.jpeg.0b15af7f209bdc211be19bbb16608625.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_Doctor_Beeching!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115302/

Hornby Railways used this number on the green version of their 2-6-0.

Neither Hornby Railways or Bachmann have produced a TV series train set.

We were going to make up some name plates, but haven’t got around to it yet…;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

46521 was named “Blossom” while being used for filming of the sadly curtailed comedy series “Oh Doctor Beeching”.

https://www.svrwiki.com/LMS_Ivatt_Class_2_46521

20484B18-DFA4-4BA7-8CCE-DEE5E1A7ADD3.jpeg.0b15af7f209bdc211be19bbb16608625.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_Doctor_Beeching!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115302/

Hornby Railways used this number on the green version of their 2-6-0.

Neither Hornby Railways or Bachmann have produced a TV series train set.

We were going to make up some name plates, but haven’t got around to it yet…;)

Oh! Doctor Beeching! was great fun with steam as an added delight. :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Release dates on the coming soon page:

November 2021

• R3836    78047
  • R3838    78010
  • R3839    78000

On the individual product pages:

Winter 2022

• R3981    78054

• R3982    78006

Second batch pushed back a year?!?!?

When they were announced it was Winter 2021 right?

I acknowledge the supply line issues etc. so it's no surprise. More time o save up I guess 

21 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Second batch pushed back a year?!?!?

When they were announced it was Winter 2021 right?

I acknowledge the supply line issues etc. so it's no surprise. More time o save up I guess 

I think that means this winter, as most of it is in 2022

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I ordered the Collectors Club model when it was announced - and have an email from Hornby confirming the order. It is strange that it no longer shows anywhere.

Hi Bulleidboy100,

I have noticed that once I buy or order something from the Collectors' Club that it no longer becomes visible to me on the site.  I wondered if it was their way to prevent ordering multiples of a limited item.

Regards,

Alex.

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I ordered the Collectors Club model when it was announced - and have an email from Hornby confirming the order. It is strange that it no longer shows anywhere.

I found that too. it probably sold out once the club restarted earlier in the year. Still showing at the bottom of my orders page in the pending section.