Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

DROOOL!!

The front skirting needs to fit better, but the whole thing screams '91!

Love the see through mid skirting, something very noticable on the prototype, and very solid on the original model.

Not sure which one I will buy, but given my first brand new model was a Class 91 back in the early 1990s, I have to get one!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Not sure which one I will buy, but given my first brand new model was a Class 91 back in the early 1990s, I have to get one!

It’s got to be the original Intercity for me! The sleek Intercity 225 was my first Hornby trainset in 1994, I’ve no intention of modelling the ECML and so this will be a pure nostalgia buy! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, James Makin said:

It’s got to be the original Intercity for me! The sleek Intercity 225 was my first Hornby trainset in 1994, I’ve no intention of modelling the ECML and so this will be a pure nostalgia buy! 

same here, i don't do eastern stuff at all but the 91 was my first train and they look so cool, the w1 looks stunning and was never on my radar until the latest engine shed, along with the ATP, Hornby are costing me a fortune!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeds said:

Still can't bring myself to order one without knowing the matching coaches will definitely be released. Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

I'd expect by the time they arrive the carriages will have been announced.

My guess is that they got the loco underway and announced it for the anniversary (and probably another reason) and then will follow up in Jan with an announcement of the mk4 range.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, georgeds said:

Still can't bring myself to order one without knowing the matching coaches will definitely be released. Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

I'd order one anyway...can always sell it off if matching Mk4 coaches aren't announced. However like I've said before, we've seen so many clues. Like  @TomScrutsaid, it's probably got something to do with the 100 year anniversary. Their range this year has been quite ambitious afterall.

The Class 91s have been delayed slightly to Feb-March 2021 (cue the Hornby bashers), so by Jan we'll definitely know. Who knows the delay might actually be done on purpose for the release of the Mk4's to coincide with the release of the Class 91 or atleast be closer together

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

delayed slightly to Feb-March 2021 (cue the Hornby bashers)

I think Hornby have done well to be honest all considered. Massive amount of stuff and less than ideal worldly conditions but stuff hasn't been totally screwed. They seem to have been affected less than some of the other manufacturers.

Only niggle will be my LNER 800 that I expect to be over a year late! I do think though that they must have been made and had an issue of some sort making them undeliverable given how late on they were knocked back.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Only niggle will be my LNER 800 that I expect to be over a year late! I do think though that they must have been made and had an issue of some sort making them undeliverable given how late on they were knocked back.

There was an issue with the factory and had to have them changed. Hence the delay....

• Like 2

On 06/10/2020 at 17:09, MGR Hooper! said:

I'd order one anyway...can always sell it off if matching Mk4 coaches aren't announced. However like I've said before, we've seen so many clues. Like  @TomScrutsaid, it's probably got something to do with the 100 year anniversary. Their range this year has been quite ambitious afterall.

The Class 91s have been delayed slightly to Feb-March 2021 (cue the Hornby bashers), so by Jan we'll definitely know. Who knows the delay might actually be done on purpose for the release of the Mk4's to coincide with the release of the Class 91 or atleast be closer together

I hope if there are BR MK4s carriages newly tooled to arrive in the next few years, I hope there will also be a new MK4 DVT for the coaches aswell to be announced also.

A few years ago I bought a new never used Hornby Intercity 225 set with a mini A5 or A6 catalogue from 1992. It has all its boxed with outer shipping box all paperwork cut off slip send off forms welcome to the world of... etc it's amazing to have gained old/new stock a year after I was born.:D

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 12:42, scumcat said:

mr Hornby was interviewed by Hornby magazine in their latest video he couldn’t keep a straight face when asked about mk 4 rolling stock

I did see that:laugh_mini:

The old 1990 BR MK4 coaches haven't aged that badly I reckon however the old BR MK4 DVT has which isn't as wonderful as their BR MK3 DVT. 

This is the first time in 22 years that Hornby have produced a BR Class 91 locomotive in original BR INTERCITY swallow livery.

Well at least we know with Mr. Hornby Simon Kohler anything is possible! I can't remember which other video I saw weather it was with Hornby Magazine or whoever it was but I remember he was asked if he did have a magic wand and he could  produce anything he wished for Hornby of anything railway related what would it be? His reply was I do have a magic wand!

So given have wonderful the 2020 range is. Wow jaw dropping stuff on January 6. "Think outside the box" was Simon Kohler's quotation when describing the centenary year Hornby range. We know how he wanted the old now discarded tooling  APT-P reintroduced in the 2012 range.  It's also the 40th Anniversary of Hornby first producing an APT-P. It is also Hornby's 30th Anniversary of Hornby having an Intercity 225 separately in the range with the MK4 rolling coach stock introduced in 1990 with a BR Class 91 first launched in 1988. So I'm sure we can possibly expect the unexpected in future years. 

Edited by RyanN91
Typo fixed

I think the key giveaway with the mk4s is that they are doing LNER/VTEC on the 91 for which there is (AFAIK) no way of getting most of the coaches, and 2 coaches and the DVT (in VTEC) are only available as part of a limited edition train pack.

Would they do a loco that even in retrospect there is no way of getting the coaching stock? I doubt it.

Sorry if I have already made this point on here, I know I have mentioned it somewhere in the past!

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the key giveaway with the mk4s is that they are doing LNER/VTEC on the 91 for which there is (AFAIK) no way of getting most of the coaches, and 2 coaches and the DVT (in VTEC) are only available as part of a limited edition train pack.

Would they do a loco that even in retrospect there is no way of getting the coaching stock? I doubt it.

Sorry if I have already made this point on here, I know I have mentioned it somewhere in the past!

Also common sense prevails, if Hornby had no intentions to make brand new Mk4 coaches and a Mk4 DVT, wouldn't they have just released the older ones in 2020? Why would they wait for the following year to release older stock? It would cost them nothing extra to have existing tooling used to produce something complimentary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Also common sense prevails, if Hornby had no intentions to make brand new Mk4 coaches and a Mk4 DVT, wouldn't they have just released the older ones in 2020? Why would they wait for the following year to release older stock? It would cost them nothing extra to have existing tooling used to produce something complimentary.

Availability of production slots might prevent it.

The 91 might have been pushed to market somewhat quicker than originally intended because of that other potential model.  Whilst it makes eminent sense that new MK4s are on the way, re-liveries of the existing model might have been the year 1 plan (2021...) in any case, but 2020 didn't have the room production slot-wise for a batch of coaches of whatever provenance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It was mentioned a couple of years ago that most of their older tooling had been destroyed.

I expect this includes the Mk4s.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It was mentioned a couple of years ago that most of their older tooling had been destroyed.

I expect this includes the Mk4s.

The tooling destroyed was that which had never been sent to China for manufacture there. The original Mk4s have very much been made since production was shifted to china

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I didn't think these were destroyed as the last time the toolings for an Intercity 225 train Class 91, MK4 coaches and MK4 DVT were used was in 2015/16 for the limited edition Virgin East Coast train pack. 

518dxVjyX-L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2

Further to my post here

I found it very interesting over the weekend seeing that Heljan are going with 9 lighting functions on the GWR railcar, and are starting adding extra lighting functionality to their upcoming loco models, so hat off to them. Over to you Hornby....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Further to my post here

I found it very interesting over the weekend seeing that Heljan are going with 9 lighting functions on the GWR railcar, and are starting adding extra lighting functionality to their upcoming loco models, so hat off to them. Over to you Hornby....

The problem is their range of decoders. Instead of modernising their old ones, they have spent effort adding different sound files to their TTS variant of it.

I am disappointed with Hornby's stance on this. I can understand their point of view but I do not agree with it:

They make an 8 pin decoder, so they want customers to buy this instead of a competing product.

I believe if they update their range of decoders (& include a 21 or 18 pin model with more functions), they would increase sales.