Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

Is there some discrepancy as to the RRP of these on some sites? Hornby has them at £180. Kernow have them at £162 which is £180 minus the usual 10% discount they are allowed at launch. A lot of sites seem to have these at £170 RRP at £153.

Given I have a 10% off voucher from Hornby that expires end of the year I had thought I'd just pre order from there (make sure I get it) but now I am wondering I am better off seeing if I can get it £9 cheaper elsewhere!

Edited by TomScrut

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Well as you'll all probably know by now, Hornby has announced re-tooled Mk4 coaches and a Mk4 DVT.

There's a dedicated topic for them here - 

No new running numbers / liveries for the upcoming retooled 91s though (eg. 91110)?

1 minute ago, Rhydgaled said:

No new running numbers / liveries for the upcoming retooled 91s though (eg. 91110)?

I think they'll probably leave that until next year. Last year's aren't coming until middle of this! I'd expect either 91117 or 91120 would be popular in Europhoenix, and 91119 in its current IC livery. Wouldn't surprise me if both these happen next year.

The appeal of 17 or 20 would be that you don't need a train to run with them, they buzz about by themselves or with a 37 quite a bit.

91119 would be good for those of us already getting an LNER rake as the loco can be swapped or we could buy a whole new rake, but obviously the appeal is the Swallow livery.

• Agree 1

I was hoping for 91119 to be announced this year, but since there's still four separate class 91's plus four different rakes of Mk.4's to arrive this year, you can kind of see why they have haven't announced any more 91's for 2021.

Cheers,

6 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

Nope! The initial batch of 4 Class 91s are yet to come. They are currently reviewing painted EP samples and and are scheduled for production in March. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hellotojasonisaacs said:

More interestingly, it looks like the pantograph will be available as a spare!

Don’t hold your breath. Just because it’s separate part doesn’t mean it will be available as a spare. 

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Don’t hold your breath. Just because it’s separate part doesn’t mean it will be available as a spare. 

It's got a spares number on the sheet, so there's a reasonable chance it will become available as a spare.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 13:46, JackB95 said:

Latest Hornby Shed newsletter is out, with some spicy pictures! https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/azuma-east-coast

image.png.25d465e6d4cdcd6a19a2de3f34a0efbd.png

image.png.88f7572a8d5eefb74f264ea7d0e0f8e2.png

image.png.6481b7fc175ead825b40d0c24e0b24c0.png

[Pictures copied directly from the Hornby link]

There seems to be little reaction to this (unless I’ve missed something) so I’ll say it anyway.  

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Perhaps the front NEM socket is a bit too pronounced, but it might be a trick of the camera.  Cannot wait for my GNER example to arrive with coaches to follow. I do hope Hornby continue to produce these in plentiful supply over the coming years.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I've got one of each 91 and a rake of IC, GNER and LNER coaches on order. It's looking great - although the panel below the windscreen needs a bit of work as it bends upwards and the ends to my eyes. That and on the swallow one the white on the upper bonnet should go right down to the light cluster, but otherwise all good!

These are looking good, I'm hoping for some good DCC functionality now (a working pantograph is too much to ask, but good controls for the lights would be appreciated)! The LNER one doesn't seem to have the vinyl square around the logo which is good for anyone looking to change it to Virgin but for anyone wanting to keep it as LNER it's a bit of work to be done. Rather happy with these images...

• RMweb Gold

I had hoped with the adverts appearing in the model press and the model in the coming soon part of the Hornby website these were on the way but I think these are pre-production samples rather than production samples brought across before the main batch?

I agree they look good though.