Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

On 29/08/2021 at 16:51, hellotojasonisaacs said:

There seems to be little reaction to this (unless I’ve missed something) so I’ll say it anyway.  

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Perhaps the front NEM socket is a bit too pronounced, but it might be a trick of the camera.  Cannot wait for my GNER example to arrive with coaches to follow. I do hope Hornby continue to produce these in plentiful supply over the coming years.  

All of the Class 91's are looking stunning, and this will not be how the actual finish products will look as the ES mentions that they will have a different paint finish to these decorated samples It amazes me how they can look even more fantastic then these samples!  I always go for the original liveries BR periods Pre-TOPS, TOPS and BR Sectorisation. of diesel electric locos DMUs EMUs DEMUs rolling stock etc, in less it is modern Privatisation and post periods then i'll buy whichever which I like the best. Being from Devon I have the Paddington and Isambard Kingdom Brunel  GWR Hitachi 800 Classes although the Azuma LNER liveries are also very stunning!  in 2015 I bought the Class 390 Virgin Trains Pendolino train set and I couldn't get the additional coaches, So I bought the new Avanti Pendolino with the coaches just to have the full train! 

So yes i'll look forward to my APT-P , Class 91, Class 43 DVT, the new MK4 carriages and MK4 DVT all in TOPS and BR Sectorisation.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, surfsup said:

I hope the area around the marker lights is worked on before release though - I'm not sure why they've left the light BMAC Clusters white, while the TfW and LNER Versions should have the newer arrangement. 

Interestingly enough it's only the DVTs that are like this too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got on order a 91, HST DVT, Mk4  DVT, a Buffet/Restaurant and TSOE with the rest of my set the old 90s Mk4s that will be swapped out as time/money allow. 

These are the first models I've been genuinely excited about in years and ordered on the day they were announced. Roll on 28th February :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest engine shed confirms a number of tweaks to new Class 91 model, glad to hear these will now be fitted with;

• 21 pin decoder sockets;
  • switchable cab lighting;
  • plus full control of the front and rear lights which includes the ability to switch the headlights facing the coach on or off;
  • Twist and lock buffers have now been added on the No.1 cab end of the loco.  

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/new-years-revolutions

• Like 3

Now that the class 91 will have switchable cab lighting, I really hope Hornby go back to the effort of producing a detailed cab interior to a similar standard as their 43, 60, mk3 DVT etc.

Their more recent models (class 67, 87) were really poor in this area with just a plain grey moulded plastic cab interior with no details picked out, or any seperately fitted parts (seats, fire extinguisher etc).

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 12:50, rockmonkey said:

The latest engine shed confirms a number of tweaks to new Class 91 model, glad to hear these will now be fitted with;

• plus full control of the front and rear lights which includes the ability to switch the headlights facing the coach on or off;

Well I'm very happy that these things are being thought off! I'm wondering if Hornby will have put any thought into leaving room for a speaker to be put in...

I think that the cab lights and the extra functions are a great addition and the buffer mechanisms will be good fun too!

On 28/01/2022 at 14:45, scottrains29 said:

Now that the class 91 will have switchable cab lighting, I really hope Hornby go back to the effort of producing a detailed cab interior to a similar standard as their 43, 60, mk3 DVT etc.

Their more recent models (class 67, 87) were really poor in this area with just a plain grey moulded plastic cab interior with no details picked out, or any seperately fitted parts (seats, fire extinguisher etc).

With the best will in the world they surely can't not put a detailed cab in this if they are choosing to illuminate it, but this is Hornby so...

The concern I have is with the INTERCITY  version, all the pics of the Intercity 91s show the dark band wrapping the lights including on the corners behind the plastic light guards on the model for some reason the corners are white. I hope this is corrected on the production models. 

Edited by QuoitsPlayer
Typo correction

Just for interest I thought I’d compare the model of 91111 For The Fallen as shown on the cover of Hornby’s 2022 catalogue and my own photos of the real thing. I hadn’t realised quite how many variations there were!

Number 11 nearer or further from the centre. Yellow triangle. Plain black or plain yellow below the lights. Yellow triangle below the cab window or a more traditional rectangle:65D0DA7E-3763-4D81-90EB-19B6BE3FF58D.jpeg.4053e04d23f4517ca20c63d1085a7c1c.jpeg This is November 2016. Yellow strip instead of the triangle point. 

7AC0AE15-DBED-44A3-ADB8-210E240951EA.jpeg.3c9aaf25adb23373abb536f1aacf79e4.jpeg  Taken in April 2015. The number 11 is nearer the middle. 

80BB7798-73EC-44F2-9DBA-AEB2052AFFF0.jpeg.a3fc4d5f83fbccb9f1550271b342e51c.jpeg   July 2018. I think this is what the Hornby model is supposed to be, though the one on the catalogue cover looks like the tip of the triangle is too small.  The number 11 is nearer the edge compared to the previous image. 

63D12A7F-9FF6-4CE1-9B3D-2424054818A6.jpeg.9c1f1dc92347040feb6a951c4ede5f19.jpeg  October 2021. The yellow triangle has been replaced by a rectangle. 

Quite a few opportunities to modify the model with all these differences!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

On 28/01/2022 at 12:50, rockmonkey said:

I’ve just caught up with The Engine Shed. That made me jump! Well done, Hornby! The points made here about cab detail and provision for a speaker are well made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I’ve just caught up with The Engine Shed. That made me jump! Well done, Hornby! The points made here about cab detail and provision for a speaker are well made.

Take the 87, the cab detail is poor, and there is no room for a decent speaker. Having just received some Heljan 86's despite other issues there is room for a few decent styles of speaker. Let's see what happens... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby posted on their Facebook page yesterday that the GNER liveried Class 91 is 'arriving soon' (and then proceeded to call it a uniquely liveried diesel loco which has now been edited out following the post comments! ) 

Do we have any idea when the others might be arriving, especially 91111 which doesn't seem to get the same amount of publicity as the other 3 liveries? 

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Charlie24 said:

Hornby posted on their Facebook page yesterday that the GNER liveried Class 91 is 'arriving soon' (and then proceeded to call it a uniquely liveried diesel loco which has now been edited out following the post comments! ) 

I did get an apology for the mistake after I mentioned it. 

The GNER 91 is one of a very few British engines I've been behind, mostly EMU/DMU in the South East region and some on Heritage lines, like the J27 and J94. So interested to see how this one will turn out. 

5 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Someone's posted on the Dean Park Facebook group that their Intercity 91 has arrived (well, in Australia at least). 

Sounds like they're due in to UK stockists very soon! 

Yes, a real live example has been spotted 'down under'...!

It's only since the shipping delays from the far east that we have seen this apparently new trend for pacific cousins to get early dibs on Hornby. I wonder how long it is before some enterprising dealer over that way navigates the tangle of export processes to start actively marketing premium access to new Hornby products in the UK?

4 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Yes, a real live example has been spotted 'down under'...!

It's only since the shipping delays from the far east that we have seen this apparently new trend for pacific cousins to get early dibs on Hornby. I wonder how long it is before some enterprising dealer over that way navigates the tangle of export processes to start actively marketing premium access to new Hornby products in the UK?

They'd need to get enough product to be able to market them this side of the world, I would assume antipodean retailers suffer the same mess as UK retailers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First class 91 91111 for the fallen has arrived, some issues at first with derailments on set track points but seems to have settled down apart from 1 point which ironically is Hornby not peco. Works fine on my streamline track though. Nice weighty model although printing on nameplates a little fuzzy but there are etched ones to apply over. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1