Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

6 hours ago, frobisher said:

Availability of production slots might prevent it.

An entire year is more than enough to both find a production slot and book it, besides having or not having a production slot isn't a reason to not announce something.

5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It was mentioned a couple of years ago that most of their older tooling had been destroyed.

I expect this includes the Mk4s.

That was older tooling not fit for purpose. This mostly consisted of older tooling from the 1960s to 1980s, not the tooling for the Mk4 coaches and their accompanying Mk4 DVT and Class 91.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I believe if they update their range of decoders (& include a 21 or 18 pin model with more functions), they would increase sales.

This is key....I suggest you actually email Simon Kohler about it. He's very much open to ideas. We've seen a lot of our ideas materialise over the last few years. Chats with him are always pleasant and informative.

22 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The problem is their range of decoders. Instead of modernising their old ones, they have spent effort adding different sound files to their TTS variant of it.

I am disappointed with Hornby's stance on this. I can understand their point of view but I do not agree with it:

They make an 8 pin decoder, so they want customers to buy this instead of a competing product.

I believe if they update their range of decoders (& include a 21 or 18 pin model with more functions), they would increase sales.

The thing is, and they aren't alone, they make some very good models hampered by the lack of good lighting operation.

It is understandable given some of their good locos came out when DCC was in its infancy, but if they upgraded their 60 to a modern socket with fully switchable lighting it would go back into the running for best modern loco on the market IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

An entire year is more than enough to both find a production slot and book it, besides having or not having a production slot isn't a reason to not announce something.

By that logic they should have announced the accompanying MK4s (of whatever ilk) at the same time as the 92s...

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, frobisher said:

By that logic they should have announced the accompanying MK4s (of whatever ilk) at the same time as the 92s...

Could not should IMO. Just because they can announce it doesn't mean they have to regardless of the work that has been done. Hornby have had a fairly busy year so maybe they didn't want to have the coaches on top of that? The 91 announcement did what I think it's job was without the coaches.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, rockmonkey said:

Hornby's Class 91 first sample class 91 with lights on!

2AEAAA48-92E7-411F-AE59-44580C158CFF.jpeg

4A17363F-131A-4121-B82E-AE3105CB1413.jpeg

I wonder if the colour of those LEDs will be in the final  product, or vary by product era. I don't think they are currently that colour but I am pretty certain they weren't  when new.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder if the colour of those LEDs will be in the final  product, or vary by product era. I don't think they are currently that colour but I am pretty certain they weren't  when new.

Good point, http://www.traintesting.com has photos from swallow era up to virgin/LNER.  The original style of lights appear to be still in use under east coast in 2011.

E53E4708-60A0-4F16-84CF-5F55BC479C2D.jpeg

Edited by rockmonkey
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2020 at 20:57, TomScrut said:

I would guess they will be final, given that the 87 has the same unrealistic blue LEDs. Really does spoil the look a bit, but it does otherwise look good. The new Bachmann 90 is perhaps the only recent loco I can think of that doesn't use bluish LEDs and it looks all the better for it!

• 2 weeks later...

91111 looks incredible.

I'm not a fan of those lights, they look completely wrong but the rest of the model looks excellent so far. I wonder if they'll do a TTS chip with the characteristic "hum".

I grew up with the 91s so I'd definitely consider pre-ordering one, but ONLY if they announce some MK4s to go with them...no point in just buying the loco by itself. The old MK4s aren't actually that bad, there's very little detail they'd need to add, NEM couplings, tinted windows, and lights in the DVT and job's a good'un. Obviously they'd need to tool up a TOE and modify the windows on the buffet for the post-GNER sets but it shouldn't be too much outlay for them.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2020 at 02:15, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby have shared a few images of a Class 91 body shell finished off as 91111 "For the Fallen" in the November edition of TES

r3892_class-91-for-the-fallen_body_4.jpg

r3892_class-91-for-the-fallen_body_2.jpg

r3892_class-91-for-the-fallen_body_3.jpg

r3892_class-91-for-the-fallen_body_1.jpg

Wow !

Thats an incredible finish ! 
i was considering a Scotrail 153 from Rainbow, thinking Hornby would never replicate its paint job... on seeing this i’m left thinking twice. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wow !

Thats an incredible finish ! 
i was considering a Scotrail 153 from Rainbow, thinking Hornby would never replicate its paint job... on seeing this i’m left thinking twice. 

Well Hornby may have a lot of trouble getting basic colours right (GWR green, BR green, Caledonian Teal, GBRf blue etc etc.)... But they sure can get complex liveries spot on. And we've see that so many times (Hitachi IEP Test cars, Battle of Britain Class 91 and now this!) 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 01:26, nathan70000 said:

91111 looks incredible.

I'm not a fan of those lights, they look completely wrong but the rest of the model looks excellent so far. I wonder if they'll do a TTS chip with the characteristic "hum".

I grew up with the 91s so I'd definitely consider pre-ordering one, but ONLY if they announce some MK4s to go with them...no point in just buying the loco by itself. The old MK4s aren't actually that bad, there's very little detail they'd need to add, NEM couplings, tinted windows, and lights in the DVT and job's a good'un. Obviously they'd need to tool up a TOE and modify the windows on the buffet for the post-GNER sets but it shouldn't be too much outlay for them.

If they do 91110 in Battle Of Britain guise I might order that (without mark 4s) for a display shelf. Other than that I agree; not much point in a 91 without mark 4s to go with it (which is why, if on the full size railway the 125 group branches out into mark 4s I'd almost certainly donate).

6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Well Hornby may have a lot of trouble getting basic colours right (GWR green, BR green, Caledonian Teal, GBRf blue etc etc.)... But they sure can get complex liveries spot on. And we've see that so many times (Hitachi IEP Test cars, Battle of Britain Class 91 and now this!) 

Battle of Britain class 91? Have I missed it or are you referring to the Model Rail limited edition done with the old tooling (which I was tempted by, but the fakeness of the lights on the old tooling is such a let down - that and the pantograph are the only things I want to upgrade on my 1990s Swallow liveried train set (plus perhaps adding cantrail lining on the TSOs to match the buffet and sold-separately TSO)).

• Agree 1

On 12/10/2020 at 11:21, Pete the Elaner said:

It was mentioned a couple of years ago that most of their older tooling had been destroyed.

I expect this includes the Mk4s.

As said, only Margate tools that had never been sent to China were destroyed. The Mk4s have been made in China and the tools will not have been part of the Margate clearout, and regardless of the introduction of superdetail models will quite possibly end up being used in the Railroad range.

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

If they do 91110 in Battle Of Britain guise I might order that (without mark 4s) for a display shelf. Other than that I agree; not much point in a 91 without mark 4s to go with it (which is why, if on the full size railway the 125 group branches out into mark 4s I'd almost certainly donate).

Battle of Britain class 91? Have I missed it or are you referring to the Model Rail limited edition done with the old tooling (which I was tempted by, but the fakeness of the lights on the old tooling is such a let down - that and the pantograph are the only things I want to upgrade on my 1990s Swallow liveried train set (plus perhaps adding cantrail lining on the TSOs to match the buffet and sold-separately TSO)).

Yes I believe it was R3001 Class 91 #91110 "Battle of Britain Memorial Flight" which was done for MR

• 2 weeks later...