Hornby Magazine june 2010. issue 36

birdseyecircus

Delivered today.

Free die cast BR railway road vehicle supplement.

Main mag:

Charlotte Road - Layout

Parcel railcars

Building a class 129

Wagon building in 7mm

Triang rocket

Beginners guide to Ballasting

Summat colliery - Layout

North Bridge- Layout

Fire Station detailing

Plus more.

Paul

Another good edition.

I was particularly interested in the Ballasting article. I have a good idea of what I want to do with my current layout, but an article often gives 1 or 2 extra ideas, confirms that I am thinking on the right lines, or suggests methods I have already dismissed as being poor. This one had the lot but was useful all the same.

Is it me or are modelling magazines much better now than they were 10+ years ago?

• RMweb Premium

Well if anyone is hoping to get one from the East Croydon station WHSmiths then you are out of luck, I bagged the last copy they had whilst passing back home after working the up Pompey Footex!

Pretty impressive issue, particularly like the item about parcel rail cars. The information about the proposed Class 150/2 derived parcels bubble car has already had me looking around for a cheap Bachmann 150/2 as I reckon that would make an interesting model. Plain sides with roller shutter doors would not be too much of a problem, assume they would have had the same Sprinter livery as the 150/2's but numbered as what? Class 190 would be my guess.

Just picked up a copy in Hobbycraft on impulse.

Excellent irony that the Wish List Poll has Blue Pullman at its top, with the editorial comment 'but it is uncertain whether demand is high enough for a manufacturer to justify production,' on p10; then on p133 Olivia's announcement literally sneaks in as though whispered in an undertone. Talk about low-key! Next month's 'announcement' in the news section should be suitably red faced!

Second moment of hilarity comes in p78's review of Vi's Cotswold 47810 'Capitain Sensible.' Surely now this awesome blunder has been pointed out, future production should be corrected, or if the entire batch is wrong there's a great aftermarket in replacement etched plates to be had wacko.gif

I sat and read the entire issue on the front doorstep after I locked myself out of the flat today rolleyes.gif

Very interesting set of layouts. Couldn't possibly say which one I liked more, but it was extremely interesting to see Redgate Models' Caproti 9f. Lovely model, but unfortunately of a stunningly ugly prototype ;)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting and absorbing issue again - loved the lowdown on Summat Colliery with its plugs for our very favourite model rail website! Mrs 45156 was also moved to comment when she saw the photos over my shoulder that this was a very good bit of modelling - but she said it looked too clean for a colliery layout, and would have expected a bit more grime and grot!

Other than that, I noticed that all the photography was by Mike Wild this month? I'm curious about that, as up to now, Chris N has done a lot of this?

I'll probably get RM as well this month, as I need something to keep me occupied for up to 6 hours tomorrow while the dog's at the vet's in St Helens.

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or are modelling magazines much better now than they were 10+ years ago?

No you're right - I'm sure that the glossies have got better - I've got a large number of issues from the early 90s and they're not as good at all...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments. The photos of Summat were taken back in July last year, and there is a bit more grot/tut around the place now.

I think Chris N tends to do the photos for layouts that are close to where he lives, Mike has to get in his car for us Midlanders etc laugh.gif

Got to say, his photos of Summat are stunning

The quality of the layouts in this magazine seem to be better than the publication I currently subscribe to. Also, HM don't seem to overexpose certain layouts by featuring them incessantly. You can have too much of a good thing and there are plenty of other layouts out there worthy of publication. Is it just an excuse for lazy journalism?

Think I'll jump ship.

Well done Mike Wild and the team for turning this into a first rate publication.

• 1 month later...

Just got around to reading Issue 36 this morning. We are a little behind in the colonies... rolleyes.gif

What caught my eye was the photo of a factory in the parcel railcar article. The photo was taken on the down side of Hayes and Harlington station- behind the Class 128 is a rather large six story structure.

There's a large panel across the top of the factory that states "HIS MASTER'S VOICE".

Just what the heck did they produce here? Religious paraphernalia? Dog training tools? Headquarters for the SWMBO society? Enquiring minds want to know...

• RMweb Premium

Just got around to reading Issue 36 this morning. We are a little behind in the colonies... rolleyes.gif

What caught my eye was the photo of a factory in the parcel railcar article. The photo was taken on the down side of Hayes and Harlington station- behind the Class 128 is a rather large six story structure.

There's a large panel across the top of the factory that states "HIS MASTER'S VOICE".

Just what the heck did they produce here? Religious paraphernalia? Dog training tools? Headquarters for the SWMBO society? Enquiring minds want to know...

Radio's and gramaphone records.

• RMweb Gold

I like this bit from the Wikipedia page Pinkmouse linked to:

"The original title of the painting was "His Late Master's Voice" (and this phrase appears on many of the original RCA Victor labels), but the concept was considered too depressing for most of the public's tastes, and certainly for an image used as a means to put the consumer in the mood to buy."

Imagine popping into HLMV to buy a CD!

• 6 years later...

HI I am just starting out and am looking for ideas for small layouts - I am very interested in the article North bridge - if any one could post the track plan that would be great -- or if they wished to sell the back copy Hornby mag June 2010 thanks for reading

Guest 40-something

HI I am just starting out and am looking for ideas for small layouts - I am very interested in the article North bridge - if any one could post the track plan that would be great -- or if they wished to sell the back copy Hornby mag June 2010 thanks for reading

One on ebay at the moment....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Hornby-magazine-36-June-2010-Charlotte-Road-Southern-region-1966-/182347748443?hash=item2a74c5d45b:g:2JAAAOSwNRdX4Fbc

Archived