LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

On 07/03/2020 at 20:40, Compound2632 said:

People not ordering the complete train? What's the point?

Maybe they don't have the space, or funds for a full set?

I certainly have neither, but would like a representative set to run with my bathtubs. By selective shortening, a realistic representation can be made.

I've not put my name down (yet) for any but if I can squirrel some cash away between now and then, I'll acquire a (shortened) rake from my local shop

I suspect that the coaches will not be a one catalogue wonder, there are other running numbers they can produce in the long term too, so further purchases are also possible.

I'm not saying this is the reason, or the 'point' but it's a possibility.

Cheers

J

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Maybe they don't have the space, or funds for a full set?

I'm sure you are right and I sympathise; the result will be an excess of kitchen cars and open thirds - presuming that Hornby are having equal quantities of all coaches made.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure you are right and I sympathise; the result will be an excess of kitchen cars and open thirds - presuming that Hornby are having equal quantities of all coaches made.

This Indeed is very true, however, short of only producing them to order, there's not much that can be done to remedy that. If Hornby were to market them as a complete box set, there would be a lot of complaints I suspect, even if they did two sets which when brought together would make a complete take wouldn't solve it. I'm glad it's not me having to make the production decisions!

Cheers

J

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, guarded said:

I ve ordered all 9.It would be rude of me not to as Ive been asking for models of these beautiful trains for years.I hope by doing so we may get the full LNER Coronation train next year.

Yes - I've done exactly the same as you have and share your sentiments entirely.

Expect I won' be the only one (finger's crossed)!

3 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

This Indeed is very true, however, short of only producing them to order, there's not much that can be done to remedy that. If Hornby were to market them as a complete box set, there would be a lot of complaints I suspect, even if they did two sets which when brought together would make a complete take wouldn't solve it. I'm glad it's not me having to make the production decisions!

Cheers

J

Maybe this problem provides Hornby with a wonderful opportunity to run a 'Coronation Scot' Train Pack with an accompanying (or perhaps two) 'Coronation Scot' Coach Pack(s), perhaps? Or was the recent LNER 'Queen of Scots' Train Pack an unmitigated disaster due to the 'choice' of Loco, or perhaps its price?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sandwich station said:

All of the Scot coaches went into standard service at some point, so can have later LMS or BR liveries applied. 

I read some coaches used on Manchester suburbans / oldham loop line ?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I read some coaches used on Manchester suburbans / oldham loop line ?

R.J. Essery and D. Jenkinson, The LMS coach (Ian Allan, 1969) give no information on the specific post-war workings of the 1937 carriages, merely stating that they re-entered service in 1947 but not as set trains - maybe their later OPC volumes have more information? Being more-or-less funtionally the same as standard diagrams, I would imagine they were in front-line express use. They do, however, record the uses to which the articulated pairs from the 1939/40 stock were put on completion in 1947/8: Manchester - Southport and Manchester - Blackpool; in both cases up to Manchester in the morning and down in the evening - these were fast trains catering for the wealthiest of Manchester businessmen commuting from their homes on the coast, not exactly the type of working that the word "suburban" conjures, though I suppose one might call them "outer suburban". 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2020 at 19:25, sandwich station said:

All of the Scot coaches went into standard service at some point, so can have later LMS or BR liveries applied. 

I'm hoping Hornby will do this, especially if they release them as the standard diagrams rather then the coronation Scot versions :locomotive:

• Like 1

I know not prototypical for UK (though one is in the NRM) I do wonder if Hornby may do these amazing coaches in the red and lined gold livery to match their streamliners in this livery. 

They did so with the previous old tooling and I am sure they would be a success in terms of sales, I know I would be in for a rake of them to compliment the full blue rake I have on order!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

I know not prototypical for UK (though one is in the NRM) I do wonder if Hornby may do these amazing coaches in the red and lined gold livery to match their streamliners in this livery. 

They did so with the previous old tooling and I am sure they would be a success in terms of sales, I know I would be in for a rake of them to compliment the full blue rake I have on order!

The Coronation Scot coaches never ran in red/gold livery.

The red/gold set was the first of what was intended to be a new articulated design. Plans changed & no more were built.

Hornby's previous sets were standard Stanier coaches. These were incorrect for both the blue or red sets.

Coronation Scot coaches in red with gold lines would be fictitious. So what? Would they sell? The answer to this is Hornby's decision.

The set which actually toured the US? I have never heard them mentioned that way.

Would they sell well enough to justify the tooling? That would be another question Hornby would have to ask themselves.

I am actually surprised they are producing the Scot set. Until I saw it announced, I considered that to be very unlikely.

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It is a question of wanting more return from the tooling than just 1 model with 3 alternative running numbers.

Let's hope Hornby see it this way.

You'd certainly hope so. I for one would want a dining set and would be much happier if it could be plonked down our of the box without having to remove the ventilation, repaint, reline and renumber!

Then again I'd be really happy if they could do a 60' composite aswell ;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Coronation Scot coaches in red with gold lines would be fictitious. So what? Would they sell? The answer to this is Hornby's decision.

But a brake third in the red and gold livery is entirely authentic - if you're modelling the present day scene.

7 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Then again I'd be really happy if they could do a 60' composite as well ;)

Absolutely. What is it about Hornby and the LMS standard 60 ft underframe? Airfix managed to do 57 ft and 60 ft carriages all those years ago.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Absolutely. What is it about Hornby and the LMS standard 60 ft underframe? Airfix managed to do 57 ft and 60 ft carriages all those years ago.

I find it somewhat bizarre that not that long ago modellers despaired at how usually only composites and brake thirds were available and now the one coach I want more than anything is an exLMS composite :cray_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I find it somewhat bizarre that not that long ago modellers despaired at how usually only composites and brake thirds were available and now the one coach I want more than anything is an exLMS composite :cray_mini:

Well, the old Airfix ones are still available at a knock-down price from Dapol.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, the old Airfix ones are still available at a knock-down price from Dapol.

I've got 2 Airfix ones waiting for the day when I get around to detailing them.

One of them is potentially going to become a D1791.

But that's all waiting on a rainy day I'm not brave enough to tackle coaches yet ;)

Of course I should really do it because it guaranteed that once I do they will become available RTR :jester:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brocp said:

The new Hornby signal box video looks to have one of the early prototype models of one of the coaches in the background in the Duchess of Atholl segment.

Definitely one of the prototypes of one of the brake coaches. This was the best screenshot I could grab.

Screenshot_20200313-082919.png

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Definitely one of the prototypes of one of the brake coaches. This was the best screenshot I could grab.

Screenshot_20200313-082919.png

This looks great , looking forward for these coaches, as the RFO is with the tabletop lamps as the SR restaurant coach and every coach is with great detail, all these are gone be a great train in blue with silver streaking

And with the fortcoming Princess Coronation 6220 we have the train of 1937.

On 12/03/2020 at 13:27, jf2682 said:

The set that toured the USA is part of a larger 500 ton set intended to be introduced in 1940, several vehicles were made after the set left for the USA and entered normal service.  At the same time the LMS was considering enlarging the Duchess design to a 70 foot grate 4-6-4.  Would make a nice possibility for Hornby to practice their freelancing skills.

I say, Jolly good show...

Edited by maico