LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The 1939 USA tour set was completely different.

Though if the blue set is viable commercially, there is no reason I couldnt imagine the 1939 set as not being viable either.. whilst it didnt see use in the UK in red/gold, it would appeal to the US market, as it did exist, was very high profile and in BR service saw regular use in rakes until withdrawal.

That said, the temptation and bias towards LNER in Hornbys range, i’d be leaning towards Hornby tooling something a little more silver grey to match the silver A4’s following these.

Given Hornby’s current penchant for fictional liveries (Hush Hush and W1 - BR green in general if feeling cheeky!) and even prototypes (Generic coaches) plus the markets apparent insatiable demand for such like I wouldn’t be surprised to see this set in red and gold without the added expense of retooling. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

How does the lighting work with DCC? Does it have a rectifier in the coach to provide suitable DC to the lighting?

Probably exactly the same as the Pullman’s. No idea as to the electrical components but they are just always on. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

How does the lighting work with DCC? Does it have a rectifier in the coach to provide suitable DC to the lighting?

Hattons haven't cancelled my pre-order (yet) so hoping that it might show up sometime next week.

Previous models (mk1,2,3) have leds on a circuit board glued to the roof, there is a rectifier & capacitor at the end of the board, with 1 set of wires down to 1 bogie.

on DC the lights delay before going off, work both directions as a result and dont flicker on section gaps.

17BB4732-34E8-45B2-857F-93F58BE0DDF7.jpeg.3c80e8474a02dcced330d134dd0ccbce.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Given Hornby’s current penchant for fictional liveries (Hush Hush and W1 - BR green in general if feeling cheeky!) and even prototypes (Generic coaches) plus the markets apparent insatiable demand for such like I wouldn’t be surprised to see this set in red and gold without the added expense of retooling. 

Nah, can't see it myself. They've already got the old version coaches for that.

Why use a top of the range model when you can churn out the older version for a lot less effort?

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Why use a top of the range model when you can churn out the older version for a lot less effort?

Because you can get a lot more for the top of the range version than the old ones maybe? Not such a stretch to think Hornby will do it really. 4472 never ran in the UK in the condition it’s portrayed in the USA tour pack. The red and gold set is a legitimate historically accurate set. It just never ran in service in England. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nah, can't see it myself. They've already got the old version coaches for that.

Jason

They have a generic 4 wheeler in their range since 1979, done in dozens of liveries...

hasnt stopped them making another generic 4 wheeler in 2021 in dozens of liveries.

I think the coach lighting solution has potential though, given its low price

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

The red and gold set is a legitimate historically accurate set. It just never ran in service in England. 

None of the carriage types in the 1937 Coronation Scot train sets was used for the American tour train, which was made up of new articulated pairs, apart from a sleeper first, taken from traffic, and a 'club car' brake built new. So a red and gold version of the current set of carriages would not be legitimately historically accurate. I think this has been discussed several times in this thread.

The one vehicle I'm not totally sure of is the brake third currently painted in this livery sitting with Duchess of Hamilton at the NRM, though I think it's been shown to be a different diagram to the Coronation Scot brake thirds.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The one vehicle I'm not totally sure of is the brake third currently painted in this livery sitting with Duchess of Hamilton at the NRM, though I think it's been shown to be a different diagram to the Coronation Scot brake thirds.

Its a while since I was last in the NRM but I'm pretty sure the information display next to the carriage acknowledges that it isnt a genuine Coronation Scot vehicle but is of a similar type

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It has eight wheels.....

That similar, eh?

The Coronation Scot brake thirds were taken from Lot 898, D1905, with the lavatory adjacent to the brake compartment whereas D1968 has it adjacent to the end vestibule.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That similar, eh?

The Coronation Scot brake thirds were taken from Lot 898, D1905, with the lavatory adjacent to the brake compartment whereas D1968 has it adjacent to the end vestibule.

Yep. I've got a full set of unbuilt Comet kits. Will now be built as normal ones, saving a lot of work on the roof detail. That was the deal breaker for me. A bit of plastikard and wire, or let Hornby do it properly. The paint job will also be much better and trying to line up all those stripes would have been a nightmare.

Funny how in one thread a model will be torn to pieces due to the wrong amount of rivets, yet in another people are quite happy to want models in totally inaccurate liveries for that coach as they look similar. Similar thing in a thread about Pullmans. Just paint them any colour you like as they all look the same.....

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

102-03m.jpg.1431811b1427e9860191d415e631b192.jpg

This would be cool to have, especially in blue and silver! (Yes I'm aware it would be inaccurate but love this club car)

imagine if someone bought a rake of mk3’s with DVT (converted to a lounge/bar car with rear view.. painted it coronation livery with a working 6229...

It wont suit the purist, but it’d be as close as possible to the above and could be a luxury train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I ordered a full set of of these carriages immediately they were announced.

Today my chosen vendor of Widnes processed the first one R4962 FK.

Hope they are working through the others as would be dreadful if I was not to get the full set!

Fingers crossed all OK! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Hope they are working through the others as would be dreadful if I was not to get the full set!

Fingers crossed all OK! 

Given recent events, this is a fear that stalks us all...

what could be worse.. getting all, but 1..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Fingers crossed all OK! 

Exactly the same here. (Same one processed) so hopefully they're just processing all the orders for each coach together. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. I've got a full set of unbuilt Comet kits. Will now be built as normal ones, saving a lot of work on the roof detail. That was the deal breaker for me. A bit of plastikard and wire, or let Hornby do it properly. The paint job will also be much better and trying to line up all those stripes would have been a nightmare.

Funny how in one thread a model will be torn to pieces due to the wrong amount of rivets, yet in another people are quite happy to want models in totally inaccurate liveries for that coach as they look similar. Similar thing in a thread about Pullmans. Just paint them any colour you like as they all look the same.....

Jason

That is also my exact situation. Was on the list of things to do, got all the chassis ready, just have to do the sides. Then out they come r-t-r! So yes, a set, post war after they went into general stock is my plan for the Comet conversions.

Neil 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Exactly the same here. (Same one processed) so hopefully they're just processing all the orders for each coach together. 

We should know fairly swiftly.

Anyone else with similar orders care to comment please?

All 9 of mine have arrived safely from Hornby.The initial order was with Rails but as soon as I got a sniff of the goings on there I immediately reordered through them directly.I am sad because I would love to purchase through a local shop but there simply aren’t any in North London anymore.Im old enough to remember Beatties in Southgate,Wood Green,Watford,HA Blunt in Mill Hill..all gone.So Hornby it will be for me for the time being.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Opelsi said:

We should know fairly swiftly.

Anyone else with similar orders care to comment please?

No change here.
Kernow have posted on Facebook that they've only received a small delivery so far, with the bulk expected soon.
Possible that Hattons are in the same position.

• Informative/Useful 1