LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, LittleRedTrain said:

No change here.
Kernow have posted on Facebook that they've only received a small delivery so far, with the bulk expected soon.
Possible that Hattons are in the same position.

Kernow actually posted “we have received a small delivery but the bulk of our order is expected very soon.  We definitely have more coming - we do not oversell our allocation so if you have an order with us you WILL receive it! https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1688/Expected-Soon/2 “ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

I've got a full set waiting for me at Monk Bar Models in York, I don't know if they got any more, but I only decided to put my name down for them in January without any issues.

I'm very much looking forward to picking them up on my days off!

From what I've seen so far, I don't think I'll be disappointed! I really do need to sort out somewhere to run them though!

Cheers

J

1 hour ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I've got a full set waiting for me at Monk Bar Models in York, I don't know if they got any more, but I only decided to put my name down for them in January without any issues.

I'm very much looking forward to picking them up on my days off!

From what I've seen so far, I don't think I'll be disappointed! I really do need to sort out somewhere to run them though!

Cheers

J

I'll be picking up mine on Saturday.

I have somewhere for mine though. a 1930s-1940s WCML layout. If there was ever a 'must have' for the layout, this set is it. :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2021 at 18:36, Aire Head said:

Can we just all try and get Hornby to do these as the “normal” service coaches!  :(

One of the EP pictures showed the coach with ordinary roof vents so hopefully will come when the feeding frenzy has died down.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, drt7uk said:

Rolls eyes... Rule 1, and all that.

Some want the blue coaches in red, some want the red coaches in blue. 

Personally, I think the Hornby Hawksworth coaches would be just the thing in SR green.

It was so much simpler back in 1970 when you could have a Mk1 in any colour you fancied and that was it.

There's Rule 1 and there's absurdity.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Personally, I think the Hornby Hawksworth coaches would be just the thing in SR green.

Not far off the truth - for those that were through-wired to run in DMUs.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

One of the EP pictures showed the coach with ordinary roof vents so hopefully will come when the feeding frenzy has died down.

I’m pretty confident they will.

i’ve already got a massive list and coaches to build without the desire to add a load more :blackeye:

They look stunning. If I got them, I would have to haul them with my ancient 6220 Coronation. Stunning as Hornby’s new Coronation is in most respects, I gave it a miss because I just cannot ignore the two “machine gun ports” in the bow. In a way, it’s a shame but there is plenty else to squander my limited budget on. I don’t think Hornby is going to be short of purchasers, though. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

They look stunning. If I got them, I would have to haul them with my ancient 6220 Coronation. Stunning as Hornby’s new Coronation is in most respects, I gave it a miss because I just cannot ignore the two “machine gun ports” in the bow. In a way, it’s a shame but there is plenty else to squander my limited budget on. I don’t think Hornby is going to be short of purchasers, though. 

The last version of the Streamliner was very good indeed and in my experience the earlier Duchess chassis is a better (smoother) and more reliable runner (less sensitive to track imperfections) than the current version. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just 'received the call' as well - mine are in - will receive during next week - once paid!

The last model previous Coronation was / is an excellent runner.

I've had a few issues with my 2 newer ones, but these are more-or-less resolved - both types run as well as each other, with similar performance - both have added weight - plenty of room inside that shell - and the tender!

I aim to increase the locomotive weight if I can - not possible in Royal Scots and Britannias unless very imaginative - then aim to bring up the tender weights to approximately equivalent relatively - about 40-50% of locomotive if possible (normally less but better than the featherlight offerings normally received).

Al.

Like a number on here I have a fleet (well three) of the previous model blue Coronations and of course, the Comet sides and donor coaches to make up a rake.

I'm curious to know how well the stripes and the colour of the previous model locos match with these new coaches. I know the lining on the new coaches is more accurate and different, having the fine blue edging to the stripes. 

I'd still like to build my own but as others have pointed out, the stripes are a challenge and I have an unexpected bonus landing this month...

I already had a Hornby 6221 which is the version they made a couple of years ago. The livery seems to match up well with the carriages.

Here is the train's test run today: https://youtu.be/syZn0yJIyxo

I found some of the carriages a bit prone to derailment, which I think is due to the Hornby couplings snagging a bit instead of pivoting properly. Some of the carriages are not at all free running due to the pickups for the lighting on each wheel. However, the train made it round the layout quite a few times. The tension lock couplings need to go and the longer gangways need to go on - if these are like Hornby's other Stanier stock, they will be a pain to fit. 

Overall, I think the train looks good and am still somewhat amazed that we have a complete set RTR to such a good standard.

Although I know the formation, I need to sort out the orientation of the individual carriages, as I don't know that apart from the brakes at each end.

Remember, in normal service the stock was turned after each journey and always ran with the third class end leading.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I already had a Hornby 6221 which is the version they made a couple of years ago. The livery seems to match up well with the carriages.

Here is the train's test run today: https://youtu.be/syZn0yJIyxo

I found some of the carriages a bit prone to derailment, which I think is due to the Hornby couplings snagging a bit instead of pivoting properly. Some of the carriages are not at all free running due to the pickups for the lighting on each wheel. However, the train made it round the layout quite a few times. The tension lock couplings need to go and the longer gangways need to go on - if these are like Hornby's other Stanier stock, they will be a pain to fit. 

Overall, I think the train looks good and am still somewhat amazed that we have a complete set RTR to such a good standard.

Although I know the formation, I need to sort out the orientation of the individual carriages, as I don't know that apart from the brakes at each end.

Remember, in normal service the stock was turned after each journey and always ran with the third class end leading.

My dad has picked up a set and said the same about the drag from the pick ups and issues derailing he had not had a chance to look at resolving so I will pass on comments about couplings for him to check.

35 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It does match up well, especially with its single chimney.

None of the blue 5 were fitted with a double until long after the Coronation Scot sets were stored.

1 hour ago, shunny said:

My dad has picked up a set and said the same about the drag from the pick ups and issues derailing he had not had a chance to look at resolving so I will pass on comments about couplings for him to check.

I suspect the issues are similar to those experienced with the Pullman Cars. The regular Hornby Stanier stock does not have this issue but without lighting there will be less drag. It's also possible that there are one or two suspect back-to-back settings, again not unknown and likely to be highlighted by Peco Code 75 track.

20 minutes ago, markw said:

Hornby have re-tooled the gangways so the tabs are now spaced correctly to fit the holes in the ends.

I have been modifying the couplings on mine to work as a proper close coupling.

IMG_20210415_161254.jpg

Good to know about the gangways. 

Did you make or modify couplings or are they an existing make?