LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

Understood, but using a 9V battery, you will notice a delayed, capacitive (?) drain of power, which could feasibly cover odd 'power cuts', potentially just momentarily dimming the lights - as indeed often happens / happened on the underground trains of my youth in Merseyside.

The one I have on show - a 65' one - is extremely free-rolling, and picks-up from all 4 axles - here's hoping ...

Al.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

... although, if you run a ruler over that sketch, the bogies are drawn 9 ft wheelbase!

Irrespective of which, it's clear from the dimensions that the bogies would have the same centres if they were 9 ft, giving 3'9" from outer axle to headstock as on the 57 ft carriages, whereas from the photos of the Hornby models, it looks as if they've put the 8 ft bogie and the 9 ft bogie at the same outer axle-to-headstock distance.

The bogie centre is the same distance from the headstock on the kitchen car as all the other Hornby staniers.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, markw said:

The bogie centre is the same distance from the headstock on the kitchen car as all the other Hornby staniers.

Sorry, yes, looking again at the photo you posted I see that now - I'd missed that in your photo the headstocks aren't lined up.

Apologies for spreading alarm and despondency.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 20:08, Opelsi said:

I ordered a full set of of these carriages immediately they were announced.

Today my chosen vendor of Widnes processed the first one R4962 FK.

Hope they are working through the others as would be dreadful if I was not to get the full set!

Fingers crossed all OK! 

Anyone with (surviving) Hattons pre-orders got anything more than the single R4962 allocated yet?

I do find it a bit frustrating that, thanks to the other reports on here, I could've got a full set 'off the shelf' from other retailers a week ago!

I will be severely miffed if they eventually turn round and say they can't supply the rest!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Anyone with (surviving) Hattons pre-orders got anything more than the single R4962 allocated

I will be severely miffed if they eventually turn round and say they can't supply the rest!

I to have got only R4962 from Hattons , think its the only one they received till now from Hornby , because they have made their usual photo's 

for their site , all others still Hornby publication photo's.

I am not worried about the rest of the delivery of the coaches.

Think this was a first delivery from Hornby , so rest will follow in new stock delivery soon.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 20:52, LNER4479 said:

The Kitchen cars wouldn't roll away at all. Definitely the 'problem' vehicles. The wheelsets are noticeably more 'sloppy' in their bearings, ie more side-to-side movement ... which means that they are likely to be rubbing on the brake blocks. I even wonder if the axle is rubbing on the plate beneath it? When I applied gentle pressure to push the two opposing axleboxes together, then it all trued up and ran freely (other than the braking effect of the pick-ups)

I had a bit of a fettle with mine last night & like you, found that the RKs were the draggy coaches.

I started by easing off the pickups a little & although this made a slight difference, it also made the lights flicker, which I noticed yours were also doing in your video. I was not happy with this so I adjusted them back again.

Like you, I thought the brake blocks looked extremely close so I suspect they may be rubbing. It seems to be the outer axles which rotate less freely.

I did wonder if just running them for a while would ease them off, so I ran the lot behind the best puller I have...my Hattons class 66! It looked rather silly but it had no problem pulling the set. After about an hour's running, I put my streamliner back on the front & there was no significant improvement.

I will take a small file or maybe some 400 to the brake blocks then try it behind a steamliner again. If that does not help completely, I will try to line the locos out with some weight. There is plenty of room inside the body.

Weighting the locos would not solve the issue of ECS workings, which is why I asked about these earlier.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Think this was a first delivery from Hornby , so rest will follow in new stock delivery soon.

I recall that being said about R3115 34001... it turned out be a long wait and the next ones had differences to the originals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Anyone with (surviving) Hattons pre-orders got anything more than the single R4962 allocated yet?

I do find it a bit frustrating that, thanks to the other reports on here, I could've got a full set 'off the shelf' from other retailers a week ago!

I gave up and ordered from Hornby. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m waiting for my from Kernow still, i’m getting itchy.

The rest of their allocation had been picked at Hornby and is due with Kernow next week.  Scratch. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Combined loco+tender weight of my retooled 6220 was increased to ~650g.

It was still having wheelslip despite the extra lead inside the body - mainly over the driving wheel area.

I thought it was labouring a little, so reduced the total weight to ~620g - remember the tender's probably ~200g.

It pulls the rake, but at certain stages of the loop, the wheels are spinning a little more than preferred.

I had an initial go at fettling the Kitchen cars - the least-free-rolling one of the Coronation rake.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Anybody tried the DCC concepts bearing reamer on the kitchen cars which was mentioned a few pages back ?

I do recommend the reamer, I have one of these (not on these coaches yet obviously), but it definitely does the job on other coaches / wagons in similar situations.

You could save money using a 2mm drill bit, cut to axle width, and putting 1 wheel onto it, to use to spin the drill bit too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I do recommend the reamer, I have one of these (not on these coaches yet obviously), but it definitely does the job on other coaches / wagons in similar situations.

You could save money using a 2mm drill bit, cut to axle width, and putting 1 wheel onto it, to use to spin the drill bit too.

On the other hand, I don’t recommend it. It has no effect at all. Of course, DCC Concepts might have produced a revised version since.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

On the other hand, I don’t recommend it. It has no effect at all. Of course, DCC Concepts might have produced a revised version since.

DCC concepts reamer definitely works. Freed up my 2 Stanier suburbans plus silences squealing Bachmann MK1 bogies!

• Like 1

I've one of those so will give it a try over the weekend.

A couple of things I've noticed, generally mentioned earlier:

1. Watch the pickup fingers' locations - can be too close to the metal wheel insulation bushes - simply and carefully push away.
  2. Bearing '1.' in mind, be careful of the finger 'profile' - keep as relatively straight as possible.  I've found a couple have bent over a little and were catching in the wheel disc holes.

This is all a drag .... terrible!!

One way I ease it is to attach my Bachmann West Coast Railways at the back - electric train heating duties - and the Coronation is saved.

Feasibly a 'Heritage Railway' view.

Al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Thanks for the info guys, anyone tried on these specific coaches please ?

Just weighing up whether it’s worth getting a set.

Don't spend too long deciding. It looks like they may sell out pretty quickly.

They look great.

It seems that most of with haulage issues are running the full 9 coach set. If you only want to run 6 or 7, then this should not be a problem, especially if you choose to omit 1 or both kitchen coaches.

I looked a little closer at my kitchen coaches last night. The pickups seem very gentle, so I suspect these are not the problem, especially as they are the same design on all coaches.

The kitchen coaches have shorter bogies, so definitely different tooling. It looked like the brake blocks are very tight, so I trimmed & filed these down a little. The wheels rotated a little more freely with the coach upside down & the coaches ran a little more freely on the track.

I am not sure if the axles are a little tight. It did not feel like this was the case.

I added some lead to 1 of my streamliners & this helped a bit, but there is more room inside the body to add more.

• Like 1

If  any one  is  seeking  Hornby Coronation  Coaches   Tim  at  Arcadiarail  Shaw, Oldham  01706882900  has  plenty  of  stock  currently  ,2nd  delivery  received  today,  Best  to  telephone,  Closed  Tuesdays.

I have no connection  other  than  being a satisfied  customer:)

• Like 2

You will be pleased to read that I have picked up R4961 BFK and R4962 FK from the Swanage Station shop before I have received any notification from Kernow for the rest of the Coronation coaches I have ordered.  The new coaches are a huge improvement on the old Hornby coaches. The roof detail is correctly moulded, the windows are flush glazed with blue ventilators, they have curtains, smoking and non smoking labels, guards look outs, windows at the back of the coach by the guard's compartment, guard's door window surround picked out in brown, blue seats and brown tables which are clearly visible because of the lights. The brake coach is free running but the corridor first is a bit stiff.  The enclosed pictures show a comparison between the old and new models.

P1110667.JPG

P1000929.JPG

Edited by Robin Brasher
Uploaded wrong picture.
  • Like 2

They're superb coaches.

It does seem that running a full rake of 9 is flawed - generally observed the different-bogied kitchen ones drag more ...

My poor new-tooled Coronation has now fallen victim and has a very free-revving motor - 'nough said!

I've not opened up the chassis, but on initial inspection, the motor-related gears are fine.

Have to say, pushing it up and down, there don't appear to be any tight spots - very free-running chassis.

I have a couple of previous generation streamliners in the 'parts bin', which I'm hoping can be used for the axle and gear.

Is there anyone making direct-fit brass gears for these?

Can't make any claim to Hornby as I added weight to the locomotive.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Adding to my last post .... an hour or so's tinkering and I removed the older Coronation's centre drivers in preparation, then opened up Coronation herself ... it was the final drive gear on the centre driver axle!!

Strangely .... it had worked off to one side of the splined section on the spindle, and a simple push back onto it, and it doesn't slip ... at all!

I've tried a touch of superglue either side as well.

There's a slight meshing 'issue' which a bit more fettling should sort out again.

I've 2 'rakes' on the tracks at the moment; the 9-coach LMS Coronation one and a combined Mk.2 / flatbed one of 13-coaches.

As the Hattons' 66 is on the tracks, I just had to ... all connected up, didn't even notice the load!!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1