LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

I have to admit, as someone who buys mostly second-hand stock, and rarely buys new anything unless it's heavily discounted (which includes the blue "Princess Alexandria" in the cupboard) I did actually order the whole darn lot of these new coaches.

The layout I'm planning is going to need (at least) two stations capable of handling 9+ coach trains to do the whole 'consist' justice...  Oh, what have I done!  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

That is a good excuse thanks.

I have duplicates - though only the blue and red liveries.

Would love one in black.

That would look incredible next to the pending black Merchant Navy when I think about it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

I had no idea there was a brake 1st as 5052!

Got a rake of 6 of the original blue coaches, Namely: 5792 / 1069 / 1070 / 1071 / 1075 / 5812

They look great behind R2206 Coronation from 2001.

However, the new full rake will look even better behind my newly acquired R3857 Coronation +  R3623 Queen Elizabeth.

Is 7 streamliners too many?   :mocking_mini:

R4218 brake end was 5052 and was made from 2004-05 and as part of R3092 train pack made from 2012-13 The prototype 5052 was a brake first coach in set 1 but I am not sure if the model was, I cannot see any reference to 1075 as a prototype or a model so perhaps it is a collector's item,

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind. If they released a LNWR George The Fifth, you'll still get someone comparing it to their Bassett Lowke one great grandad bought when he was in the trenches. :laugh:

Now if only we had a RTR range like Bassett Lowke's!

image.png.a1f52831bb472412571c4b05117fb4b7.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

These coaches first appeared in the 70's to go with the then new Duchess Of Sutherland, probably another monstrosity by your reckoning.

No, it's the coaches for which my particular loathing is reserved. I knew they were hideous from my first purchase of a brake third as a teenager - I realised I'd made a mistake and didn't waste my pocket money on any more. Mid you, the contemporary GW Colletts were just as bad. Oddly enough, the LNER carriages weren't so awful, especially after they got Gresley pattern bogies. But they all shared the same rather dbious underframe. Yes, 1977, contemporary with the introduction of Airfix Model Railways - so only a year or two before the introduction of their LMS Period 3 brake third and composite, which were a revolution in their day and still pass muster today, though of course not as refined as the 21st century Hornby and Bachmann offerings. 

17 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

I have to admit, as someone who buys mostly second-hand stock, and rarely buys new anything unless it's heavily discounted (which includes the blue "Princess Alexandria" in the cupboard) I did actually order the whole darn lot of these new coaches.

The layout I'm planning is going to need (at least) two stations capable of handling 9+ coach trains to do the whole 'consist' justice...  Oh, what have I done!  :blush:

Nice excuse.

I found (& am modelling) a prototype location which has a scenic  section less than 8' long & its almost exactly to scale.

My dilemna is that most of my streamliners have double chimneys. 6220-29 got these during the war, which was after the service was removed & the coaches placed in store. (6235-39 were around for a few months before the service was withdrawn & these were built with double chimneys).

17 hours ago, Opelsi said:

That is a good excuse thanks.

I have duplicates - though only the blue and red liveries.

Would love one in black.

That would look incredible next to the pending black Merchant Navy when I think about it!

Hornby did make one in black. I think it was City of Edinburgh. Mine is now City of Lancaster because it saw out LMS in this condition.

All 24 were wartime black from December 1945 until April 1946 when the first were de-streamlined.

6229 Duchess of Hamilton & 6236 City of Bradford hung on to their casings until the last month of LMS days.

Black should be an easy repaint though: no lining, just a spray coat of black.

Check your chimneys though - it seems that 6220 was the only one which went black while it still had a single chimney.

Shouldn't this be on the Princess Coronation loco thread?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Black should be an easy repaint though: no lining, just a spray coat of black.

Check your chimneys though - it seems that 6220 was the only one which went black while it still had a single chimney.

Shouldn't this be on the Princess Coronation loco thread?

Yes, don't spray your Coronation Scot coaches black. Instead, model the carriage sheds at Horwich or Lostock Hall, where the sets were laid up for the duration. 

• Like 1

I enclose a picture of my collection of Coronation class locomotives and coaches.  I think that the maroon coaches are mainly fictitious coaches although there is a maroon Coronation Scot coach in the National Railway Museum.  I think that the coaches with metal wheels on the top three shelves are an improvement on the other coaches with plastic wheels. The headboards on the blue coaches represent separate boards that are attached to the coaches whereas the headboards on the maroon coaches represent letters painted on. The blue coaches had painted headboards by 31 May 1938 with white letters on the blue coach background.

P1110669.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No, it's the coaches for which my particular loathing is reserved. I knew they were hideous from my first purchase of a brake third as a teenager - I realised I'd made a mistake and didn't waste my pocket money on any more. Mid you, the contemporary GW Colletts were just as bad. Oddly enough, the LNER carriages weren't so awful, especially after they got Gresley pattern bogies. But they all shared the same rather dbious underframe. Yes, 1977, contemporary with the introduction of Airfix Model Railways - so only a year or two before the introduction of their LMS Period 3 brake third and composite, which were a revolution in their day and still pass muster today, though of course not as refined as the 21st century Hornby and Bachmann offerings. 

Too short though. 

Very noticeable when you started building Ian Kirk kits to enhance the rakes and found them not to match. I eventually gave mine to my brother who was less picky.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I enclose a picture of my collection of Coronation class locomotives and coaches.  I think that the maroon coaches are mainly fictitious coaches although there is a maroon Coronation Scot coach in the National Railway Museum.  I think that the coaches with metal wheels on the top three shelves are an improvement on the other coaches with plastic wheels. The headboards on the blue coaches represent separate boards that are attached to the coaches whereas the headboards on the maroon coaches represent letters painted on. The blue coaches had painted headboards by 31 May 1938 with white letters on the blue coach background.

Yes. this was mentioned a couple of pages ago.

It was a special set of a new design which toured the USA behind 6220 Coronation in red (although it was actually 6229 Duchess of Hamilton, carrying 6220's name & number).

When they finally returned to the UK, the coaches were turned out in standard livery.

I think they look nice though. Maybe it would have been a standard livery if the war had never happened?

• 1 month later...

I’m surprised these haven’t attracted more comment since this morning’s Engine Shed blog, as they look incredible. I fundamentally cannot justify any as a post-war GWR modeller, but I will certainly admire them when I see them in the flesh at my next exhibition (whenever that is!). 

I must also say that these augur well should Hornby turn their premium coach attentions west... GWR Centenaries or Ocean Saloons anyone?

CoY 

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2020 at 15:39, Robin Brasher said:

I think that the maroon coaches are mainly fictitious coaches although there is a maroon Coronation Scot coach in the National Railway Museum. 

That is merely an ordinary LMS brake 3rd the NRM happened to have in the collection which got repainted to match Dutchess of Hamilton when that got re streamlined a decade or so ago. It never saw service in the proper Coronation Scott and neither did it carry the gold striped livery in LMS service. Any resemblance to the fictions Hornby offerings of the past is thus merely coincidental.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I’m surprised these haven’t attracted more comment since this morning’s Engine Shed blog, as they look incredible. I fundamentally cannot justify any as a post-war GWR modeller, but I will certainly admire them when I see them in the flesh at my next exhibition (whenever that is!). 

I must also say that these augur well should Hornby turn their premium coach attentions west... GWR Centenaries or Ocean Saloons anyone?

CoY 

ES has been up less than 30 minutes when you wrote this. And it's Black Friday....

But yes they do look lovely...

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Personally I would prefer them to focus their attention on the missing elements first! A bunch of premium coaches may look nice behind a certain loco - but for those attempting to model a railway then they are not a great deal of use compared to ordinary vehicles.

The Collett restaurant car is an obvious candidate for a revamp as far as GWR mainline stock is concerned and there may also be other variants like a BCK to complement the already released range.

Over on the LMS we are still missing the very prolific Stainer CK while the Coronation Scot TRO could potentially be turned into a regular TO. Dining provision for regular services could come from the revamped period 2 dining car Hornby already have thus completing a set of catering options for each of the big 4

Edited by phil-b259
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1