Black Hawthorne records and drawings

John M

Does anyone know the present custodian of the Black Hawthorn records and locomotive drawings and if its possible to access loco drawings?

I am planning to build a model of one of the narrow gauge locos supplied to the Ballymena Cushendun and Red Bay Railway in the 1870s

Some history is set out in the BH Works List, prepared for the Industrial Locomotive Society and compiled by Allan Baker.  Therein an article (by Russell Wear) identifies that in 1902 Hawthorn Leslie purchased the “whole of the drawings, patterns and goodwill of the locomotive business”.  After that successor company merged with Robert Stephenson & Co., the records then went to Darlington, and a subsequent takeover by English Electric/Vulcan Foundry, meant that material was further transferred to Newton-le-Willows - but it is noted that, by then, little original material remained.

Philip Atkins, in an appendix in his book “Steam Locomotive Building” identifies locations where surviving records (order books, negatives, drawings) are held. Black Hawthorn is not identified specifically, but the “associated” Hawthorn companies records and drawings are given as being held at the NRM, York - which I would suggest (as per previous response) as the best place to begin an enquiry.

I received prompt and helpful replies from both the NRM and the Ulster Museums.

The NRM advised that there are no drawings in the Hawthorn Leslie Collection and so far as the NRM is aware little or no Archive material survived from Black Hawthorn. Tyne and Wear archive hold a Hawthorn Leslie Collection which relates primarily to shipbuilding but may contain material related to locomotive production.

Fortunately a reasonable broadside photo exists on one of the locos in rebuilt Belfast & Northern County condition and some of the principal dimensions are available, so I may still get round to building a model of one of these locos.