How was this Semaphore Signal used?

Attached is a pic of the Down Bay starter signal at Maidenhead. The bay is in fact a through platform. In the down direction there are three routes:- Left to the up goods yard and bidirectional goods loop, straight on to the single line branch, and right to the Branch carriage siding.

Did the route indicator work just with the main signal arm or also with the smaller calling on arm?

In earlier times there had been a three arm bracket signal for the three routes. I assume this had to go due to poor sighting line when the Middle Signal Box beside the up goods loop was replaced by the box shown in my picture.

Many thanks for any thoughts?

Best regards

Paul

Maidenhead Signal 1.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The running, 4ft arm, could only read to one route - the branch to Wycombe - while the lower short arm had two possible routes - the Goods Sdgs (formerly Maidenhead goods yard) and the Branch Sdg.  Thus the route indicator only worked with the lower, shorter, arm.  That signal predated the closure of Maidenhead  Middle 'box and the opening of the new 'box by some years so was there before the new 'box was erected.  

In those days the bay was only usable as a through platform by Up trains, I suspect it did not become available for use by Down trains as a through platform until the 1974 resignalling when the new (1963) 'box was closed.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct two minor typos - no alteration to any information.
  • Informative/Useful 5