HM2000 CONTROLLER

paul 27

I've used HM2000's for something like 15 years, with mixed results. For slow running, I've found the quality of the track and the locos were much more significant factors (especially over points).

Maybe it depends what we are comparing it to. Another 12V DC controller, or a 15V AC DCC controller?

I was referring to the title How Slow Can You Go, the other topic shown on here, I get excellent results with my 

DC feedback controllers but with the loud buzzing from motors,  I believe the HM2000  has a reduced power output no good for fast running,

I run only the latest Hornby and Bachmann Locos.

Edited by paul 27

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I used an HM2000 on my layout for a few years.  Eventually I had an issue with one of the reversing witches making intermittent contact and laid it aside and bought a replacement HM2000 around two years ago,  Now one of the rotary speed dials is similarly making intermittent contact.  Probably a simple matter of a worn, loose or dirty contact inside the control unit.  Is there any way of opening these units up for repair?

It’s beginning to look like the Hornby Forum  has been quietly ditched? :scratchhead:

Usually, controllers have either rivets/ eyelets that need drilling out, and replacing with suitable fastenings when reassembling, or some “tamper proof” fastenings, with quirky tools required...or the  drill again!

• Thanks 1

I am assured the developers have been concentrating on getting the main website fixed and that the forum will be pursued at the end of this week.

With regard to the HM2000, there are two distinct types, the early one with the big mains lead has variable resistance electrics and can suffer from worn potentiometers,  whereas the later variant with the smaller mains lead circa 2013 has an SCR electronic system and smoother control.

The earlier variant is stripped down here.

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/page15.html

Edited by RAF96
Added detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

With regard to the HM2000, there are two distinct types, the early one with the big mains lead has variable resistance electrics and can suffer from worn potentiometers,  whereas the later variant with the smaller mains lead circa 2013 has an SCR electronic system and smoother control.

The earlier variant is stripped down here.

Thanks.  For now I have ordered a replacement HM2000 from Hattons, but I will now have two laid aside so I have bookmarked your link which could come in very helpful in fixing them.

On 10/02/2021 at 12:23, cessna152towser said:

Thanks.  For now I have ordered a replacement HM2000 from Hattons, but I will now have two laid aside so I have bookmarked your link which could come in very helpful in fixing them.

I do have more information about the HM2000 variants but cannot post it in the public domain due to an NDA with Hornby but I can provide ‘snippets’ when required by PM.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

A word of warning in case anyone is looking for reviews on Google and comes across this topic...

I have read elsewhere (see below) that the HM2000 is not compatible with some modern Ready To Run rolling stock. Specifically, it has the potential to kill coreless motors.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 18/02/2021 at 12:08, Rhydgaled said:

A word of warning in case anyone is looking for reviews on Google and comes across this topic...

I have read elsewhere (see below) that the HM2000 is not compatible with some modern Ready To Run rolling stock. Specifically, it has the potential to kill coreless motors.

Sorry to reawaken an old thread but this is exactly the information I was looking for. I have one of these controllers - if this is the case I’m not sure what I should do with my Bachmann Wickham Trolley, which I haven’t run yet for exactly this reason, but which I understand has a coreless motor. It’s the first motorised 00 standard gauge item I’ve bought for several years. My other controller is a Minitrains one, which is also not good for this as it’s a PWM controller (designed to work with their locos, which are modern but not coreless). The Kato chassis used under some of my 009 locos may become an issue as well as I think the new design for these (11-109 etc.) is also fitted with a coreless motor.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Sorry to reawaken an old thread but this is exactly the information I was looking for. I have one of these controllers - if this is the case I’m not sure what I should do with my Bachmann Wickham Trolley

On the back of the claim that the HM2000 was incompatible with coreless motors I almost cancelled my Bachmann Caledonian 812 which has a coreless motor.   Then I discovered that I already had a coreless motor in my Wickman Trolley which runs perfectly happily with the HM2000.

As I understand it, the problem with the HM2000 is the pulse power tends to heat up electric motors, and in a coreless motor there is nowhere for the heat to dissipate so the motor will overheat and burn out.    I only have a short end to end layout on which my 812 and Wickham both run perfectly happily on the HM2000, but they are never run at full power and only run for short periods as my layout is not a continuous circuit.

In my opinion it is OK to run a coreless motor on the HM2000 so long as you don't give it full power or run it continuously for several minutes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

In my opinion it is OK to run a coreless motor on the HM2000 so long as you don't give it full power or run it continuously for several minutes.

Indeed, but the layout I often run my 009 Kato-powered vehicles on is a short end-to-end automatic shuttle (i.e. with diodes and a timer, so they will draw power at about half to three quarters of the full voltage (never the full 12V as it’s just not needed), run to the end of the track, stop for a few seconds and then run back and repeat, but will do this continually for a long time, especially at exhibitions). I plan to build a similar sort of arrangement in 00 for the Wickham.

33 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

As I understand it, the problem with the HM2000 is the pulse power tends to heat up electric motors, and in a coreless motor there is nowhere for the heat to dissipate so the motor will overheat and burn out.

I understand also that the frequency of the pulses is relevant here, although I can’t remember whether high or low frequency is meant to be better for coreless motors.

• RMweb Gold

High frequency is safer, thats why DCC isn't an issue with coreless motors while DC PWM style controllers can be. The PWM frequency for DC controllers is very low in comparison with DCC.

IIRC the main issue with the HM2000 and coreless motors is that it has feedback, if the feedback can be turned off it'll be fine with coreless.

• Like 1