Watlington in British outline H0 scale

Allegheny1600

For a long time now, this layout has been in storage under my ownership however, it was originally built by Mick Scarrow and John Pearce, back in the 1990s, I think. I can tell from the boards that came with the layout that it was exhibited quite a few times including appearances at Warley. I bought it sometime in the early 2000s as Mick had said it may otherwise go to the tip, I couldn't let that happen!

48113533371_3d3bdaf574_c.jpg
An overall view.

48113533961_42d8dd677a_c.jpg
The cottages masking the small sector plate.

48113567638_ddd543aed6_c.jpg
The beautiful station building.

Unfortunately, when I bought it, I had absolutely no suitable British outline rolling stock for the layout except for a very modern Mehano class 66 in a European livery. Although this did have a run up and down, it really didn’t look right and I was attempting to build a more suitable setting for the 66 so Watlington ended up being stored underneath my European layout in an outside shed.
Some while later, I decided to retrieve it and to my horror discovered that my shed had suffered some water ingress. I got the layout set up and did some small bits of recovery upon it, most importantly, the buildings had mainly survived.
Some small parts have been scattered around my house in boxes and what have you so they need re-finding but unfortunately, the points are largely seized up and all the electronics are somewhat mouldy looking. That isn’t too upsetting for me as I am mainly a digital man so would have been re-doing them anyway.
The track and to be honest, the baseboard frames are not too good though and I am considering a complete rebuild here. That will have to be as much ‘groundwork’ as possible though as I really like the buildings and find them very characterful. 

48113628122_90b98114f5_c.jpg
Looking towards the loco shed.

48113629332_a0bc20485d_c.jpg
In the opposite direction, the carriage siding.

48113630012_44239e1808_c.jpg
The goods shed.

48113572168_4b207decc5_c.jpg
Must be market day.

The first item of motive power that I acquired for this layout was a Firedrake Products GWR Pannier tank loco - in kit form. I confess, I still need to build this.

Later came a Taff Vale 0-6-0 and a ‘Black Five’, both of which are part built and still require finishing!

48113572943_2de027a946_c.jpg
Eventually, I finally got a fully finished steam loco in the form of a REE modeles 0-6-0T USA “dock tank” - this is still in “French” livery as for a long time, I cannot decide which I prefer, British or Greek! I guess I need another one.

Also in the picture above, can be seen my ‘super power’ - a DJH WD 2-10-0 in WD livery! This is quite magnificent but again, I need another one as these too, ran in Greece. In fact, I believe it was initially intended for the Dutch market! Later, Christo from Balkan Models commissioned another small run for the Greek market.

31338245447_d8600db5fa_c.jpg
Finally, my own ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0T!

I have now acquired a suitable chassis for this and have part painted it, the body is a 3D print from Simon Dawson “Rue de etropal”, simply spayed here with liquid green stuff. At least, this will look quite a home with the big 2-10-0!

The various wagons seen in pictures are mainly old Playcraft or Lima models but I do have a couple of better wagons to build.

As can be seen, I am not a very prolific modeller, nay - I am almost a "chequebook modeller" really but I just wanted to show that if an ordinary person like me can model in British outline H0 scale, anyone can. It is certainly far more satisfying than simply waiting for the manufacturers to produce something and opening one of their boxes.

Edited by Allegheny1600
Clarification
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Thank you John for such a fine initial post for the new 3.5 mm scale forum! I wonder how big the whole layout is? It looks as though it almost needs a bigger fiddle yard to accommodate the trains you have to run on it.

The REE S100 is a cracking little model. I bought a different French version a couple of years ago, and I finally took the plunge to remove the French style headlamps a few weeks ago. When I did this, I found there are little "lamp brackets" on the front buffer beam, ready to hold a British style lamp:

DSCF0091.jpg.d807934b683af33d6a6e66c9759b63ea.jpg

I have kept the French lamps with their wiring but really this is a permanent modification for me, I cannot imagine threading the wiring back through the chassis. Removing the lamps returns the loco to its original condition as supplied for the USATC, except for the French shed name on the side of the cab.

The working lubricator fell off the top of the cylinder when I took the body off, and if anyone has a photo of this detail in its factory condition this would be most helpful. Although reassembly will be a challenge - the working actuator is about the size and shape of a 1:87 spanner.

I am sure everyone here would enjoy some more photos of the layout if you have some. Perhaps a few road vehicles on the station forecourt, as if it is indeed market day?

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It's great to see these photos. I was very impressed by the (black-and-white) photos of the layout in the British 1:87 Society's newsletter at the time Mick and John were building it - but it looks even better in colour!

Mick did so much to keep the Society going in the 1990s (including a stint as the newsletter editor), and we owe him so much for his unstinting support for British H0 at such a crucial time.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind comments, Guys!

Richard, here are some close up pics of my S100 - I would have done it sooner but I lost the little ! (s)he was hiding behind an East German electric in my display case - right in front of me as I sit at my computer!

Cheers,

John.

P1250641.JPG.659deb6e8d259737ebebf7b1c417dff1.JPG

P1250647.JPG.bd1d4b43f67805709ccdd1fc5d68d7da.JPG

P1250650.JPG.eb2eed3deb080bef2a698a4381c6e1f5.JPG

I didn't notice that my model has already started to disassemble itself!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

I'll do my best.

These photos also show the fitting of a Kadee coupler into a NEM 363 slot very well.

- Richard.

Sorry I find Kadees on British standard gauge steam totally wrong. I have been working on a lightweight coupling which uses 'blade of grass' uncoupling idea used by Roger Nicholls. As a stop gap the standard continental loop and hook is OK.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2020 at 15:58, Allegheny1600 said:

31338245447_d8600db5fa_c.jpg
Finally, my own ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0T!

I have now acquired a suitable chassis for this and have part painted it, the body is a 3D print from Simon Dawson “Rue de etropal”, simply spayed here with liquid green stuff. At least, this will look quite a home with the big 2-10-0!

I wonder whether the Hornby B2 Peckett chassis would fit inside this body.

The dimensions of the wheels and wheelbase look near perfect:

Peckett B2 wheel diameter 3' 7", wheelbase 10' - rendered at 1:76 (Hornby model) these would be 14.4 and 40 mm.

J94: wheel diameter 4' 3", wheelbase 11' - rendered at 1:87 (Simon's 3D print) these would be virtually the same - 14.9 and 39 mm.

Maybe someone could lend someone else a body or a chassis to try. A J94 is a useful engine.

Edit: I now have a B2.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2020 at 13:47, 47137 said:

I wonder whether the Hornby B2 Peckett chassis would fit inside this body. ...

... Edit: I now have a B2.

I can't resist asking, even though I don't have one: does it fit?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

I can't resist asking, even though I don't have one: does it fit?

Unfortunately I have a B2 and John has the J94 print, and we live 200 miles apart.

Worse, I've formed a bit of a bond with my B2 - it's too beautiful to cut up for its chassis. It was "a present to myself to survive the lockdown", this was a really good idea and unlike the Faller chemical plant kit which really takes the idea behind a plastic kit beyond sensible boundaries.

I'll send a PM to John see if I can usefully take a photo of my  B2 chassis against graph paper or similar and send it to him.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I designed the loco body to fit the Bachmann diesel  03/04 chassis. It fits backwards, oddly then the brakes are correct way round.

I found a photo of the B2 chassis in this review. I think it actually looks bulkier than the 03/04 one, and certainly costs more. The earlier Bachmann/Mainline versions are not suitable though.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews//Hornby-b2-0-6-0st-peckett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just started working on some designs for GWR locos starting with my favourite the Collett 2251 goods. Easy to fit tender drive and then build a simple unpowered loco chassis. Also considering a 14xx autotnk and either a 44xx or 45xx(which might fit an Electrotren chassis).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

YES PLEASE!!!

As it happens, I am particularly enamoured of the GWR at the moment (how long for?) and I am very fond of all three loco designs you have mooted, thank you so much.

I seem to recall the major spotting difference between a 44xx and a 45xx is straight or slope sided water tanks? As you can tell, I am woefully ignorant of such things.

Cheers,

John.

The 45xx had bigger wheels, wheelbase is the same though. There were 2 versions of the 45XX , one with and one without sloping tanks. The 44xx only had flat topped tanks. Would have to do comparison of drawings to see how differnt they wre though.

• Like 1

collett goods now finished. Done it with Collett tender, as they were best drawings and had Mainline/Bachmann to compare. Will do a Churchward tender at some time.

Had a look at drawings for 44/45. Probably will do the 44 as there is only one version , possibly 2, a I think original bunker was smaller.

One thing about GWR locos I had not appreciated was the number of rivets. I think rivet counters must have originally come from Swindon!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2020 at 00:56, rue_d_etropal said:

it is very addictive. Not done any proper modelling since lock down.

I shouldn't worry. The nearest I've been to "railway" modelling during the lockdown has been installing some DCC chips and having a faff with some track; and running a few trains. The only real model-making has been model buildings and industrial structures to go with them.

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1