Bridport Town - Carrying On

DLT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Issues at home have not gone away, and could bang on for a long time to come.  Still I've been getting on with some modelling.  The new bits of Bridport and finished but I'm going to refrain from posting photos for the moment, as it should be featured in the next issue of NG&I Review.

Instead, here is some info on what I've been doing to the embankment frontage going towards the river.  This had never been fully finished, and looked too "country branchline" with Peco field fencing and grass.  So the fence has gone and the grass peeled back.

1816742264_IMG_5762small.jpg.284136ac068e4d04a09b5a06333c1811.jpg

To create more of a yard surface, Wills 4mm scale Granite Setts sheets are glued down.

848220039_IMG_5761small.jpg.4301b5d2e15dab5b8344cb4bb44246d4.jpg

These look grossly overscale in 4mm to me, but just right for 7mm.  I fill in the gaps by grouting them with, err, tilegrout.  The cheap stuff in a tub from B&Q, same as I use for stonewalls.

981714273_IMG_5763small.jpg.757a38abdb44cca680a04ee05d85fdfb.jpg

I leave it all to dry and then clean off the surface by wetting it slightly and rubbing it down with fingertips and wiping off the surface.  If you do this before it dries, you will wipe everything out.

278891815_IMG_5767small.jpg.b8304e7fd7b16e9322c5ce564cfa8e26.jpg

Finally I stain the grout with a dilute mix of Railmatch Sleeper grime & Weathered Black; again very carefully wiped off, or left on depending on how mucky you want it.  The photo shows the finished section, with spearpoint railings installed, and grass and rough vegetation added.

534481677_IMG_5793small.jpg.352a95e36f6023fbf5ef393fac9adbe7.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave 

I have only just caught up with this. Lovely work on the goods shed looks just right to me. I assume the vehicular access would be a gate just off the baseboard. I would add either a horse and cart or a small lorry either collecting or delivering a load.

Regards Don

Edited by Donw
missing h on horse, shades of my cockney birth?
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave, 

Really lovely work here especially with breaking up the scene, makes it seem like the railway is running through the town rather than past it. 

Out of interest, what kits are the IoM coaches made from? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Goose,

Thank you for your comments, and yes, the appearance of a railway constrained within a town was the intention.

The recent coaches are conversions of the etched brass kit by Roxey Mouldings, for the MNR brake-composite "Foxdale" coach; described on my Workbench thread here:  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-back-to-the-hunslets/&do=findComment&comment=3202687

My earlier six-wheeled coaches are scratchbuilt in plasticard (MNR again) and Roxey produce kits for these as well.

Many thanks, Dave.

• Like 2

Hi Dave, I've been missing another of the forum's hidden gems here (hidden meaning I just hadn't noticed it yet!) but will be following along from here onwards. The variety of all your different juxtaposed buildings is fantastic, and each one a little work of art in terms of individual execution. As others have said, the deliberately obstructive buildings at the board front and the different viewing angles they create are very effective indeed. I'll have to have a look through the old thread as well, which I'm sure will be equally enjoyable.

Adam

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Part Two of Bridport's refurbishment starts here.  The other aspect that I had been unhappy with for a some time was the layout of the goods exchange yard.  It had three sidings that were really too short, making shunting awkward.  In addition the exchange shed was the first structure built for the layout and to my eyes looked unrealistic compared to the later buildings.

1060473271_IMG_0727small.jpg.b1c928d07775e22d2f6dd94a7f0b1cd9.jpg

1015310682_IMG_0729small.jpg.9a40ac33cdfc16007f134602a54587bf.jpg

However, one aspect of the third siding was the end view between the buildings, and I want to retain this, or something like it.

854576072_IMG_0731small.jpg.1c5eb812407ca9b91d75b87ca328ab85.jpg

Anyway, I've "bitten the bullet" and the exchange yard soon looked like this:

972250869_IMG_7326Small.jpg.7a0c92add05bd8d5c28e4ffc2bc03c24.jpg

469941958_IMG_7328Small.jpg.1557d440f8ee604e2ccc4519c59163e0.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Wow, major changes indeed!

How much longer have you made the head shunt? Was a little challenge at times when operating to get sufficient wagons moving without getting hemmed-in.

Especially when you sent the  longest trains you could manage out of the fiddle yard ;) :diablo_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Wow, major changes indeed!

How much longer have you made the head shunt? Was a little challenge at times when operating to get sufficient wagons moving without getting hemmed-in.

47 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Especially when you sent the  longest trains you could manage out of the fiddle yard ;) :diablo_mini:

5 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Me? I wouldn't do that do you Mike!

On the over hand, perhaps I did .......

Bridport was always supposed to represent a restricted site, but I have to admit that some aspects were designed to stitch-up visiting operators.....

There will now be two long sidings, holding eight wagons minimum, instead of three sidings that you could just squeeze five in. 

Mind you, there are some Southwold style Cleminson six-wheel wagons on the to do list,  which will be twenty feet long, whereas my standard 4-wheels opens are 10 feet.

The headshunt will just take a Baldwin and five wagons, four will be more comfortable.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another aspect of the redesign was to incorporate a mixed-gauge siding, where a standard and narrow gauge siding met end on.

More years ago than i care to remember I picked up some C&L Finescale track parts secondhand, and filed them away in a drawer to "mature"...  These were some code 124 bullhead rail, plus moulded sleepers and rail-chairs.

It was simplicity itself to add a third rail to an existing siding (C&L flexible) by threading the chairs on to the rail, positioning with a rudimentary plasticard gauge, and sticking them down with Butanone.  C&L sell Butanone, I used a bottle labelled Plastic Magic.  I think Plastic Weld is the same thing.  Being moulded in ABS, Mek Pak won't touch the C&L parts, but means its useful for stripping the enamel paint off the existing track.

1469562221_IMG_7367Small.jpg.cbe7fb197722b0fdf6258072593db7c5.jpg

1466886261_IMG_7369Small.jpg.2f141ab6556641625af46b1ecccc59f9.jpg

1615533322_IMG_7363Small.jpg.4fc014a7ad31afee14c59d5d3f16ee94.jpg

1847631909_IMG_7361Small.jpg.8d7e405521332641315503e7a8505c99.jpg

1183586949_IMG_7371Small.jpg.34ef79e5c86295ccd3214df322ee5096.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I did think about extending the SG and having some mixed-gauge pointwork, but there isn't really room.  Besides, I didn't want to overdo it; mixed gauge was pretty rare on public lines in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DLT said:

and sticking them down with Butanone.  C&L sell Butanone, I used a bottle labelled Plastic Magic.  I think Plastic Weld is the same thing.  Being moulded in ABS, Mek Pak won't touch the C&L parts,

Don’t quite follow that as Mekpak is butanone.  Methyl Ethyl Keytone later called Butanone (butan-2-one to be pedantic).

(I do remember some school chemistry, but only ‘cos it’s relevant to modelling!)

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nope.

Mekpak is not MEK. It may have been once, but hasn’t been so for decades.

George Slater himself used to point out that it was a proprietary blend of solvents.

Butanone is indeed MEK, but that’s nomenclature and not composition of what’s in the bottle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Don’t quite follow that as Mekpak is butanone.  Methyl Ethyl Keytone later called Butanone (butan-2-one to be pedantic).

(I do remember some school chemistry, but only ‘cos it’s relevant to modelling!)

Paul.

Hi Paul,

There is a topic discussing it quite recently here:  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123786-slaters-mek-pak-changed/ 

What is currently MekPak (which is a Slater's name) does not dissolve C&L components, whereas the stuff I am using does.  I don't know how old this bottle is, I think it came from a deceased friend, but it's called Plastic Magic, and has a £2.75 label on it.

The stuff that C&L sell for their track is just called Butanone, see here:  https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/Materials-%26-Tools-c32279095

Thanks, Dave.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4