Bridport Town - Carrying On

DLT

If I might offer a comment, how would this shed be used?

- vans with sliding doors, are loaded and unloaded through the sliding doors (facing towards the back of the layout)

- what about vans with hinged doors, or dropside open wagons? If they are to be unloaded onto the open staging, should there not be a barrow or trolley access to the shed (for items requiring weather protection) and possibly, a ramp to ground level? 

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2019 at 09:02, rockershovel said:

- vans with sliding doors, are loaded and unloaded through the sliding doors (facing towards the back of the layout)

- what about vans with hinged doors, or dropside open wagons? If they are to be unloaded onto the open staging, should there not be a barrow or trolley access to the shed (for items requiring weather protection) and possibly, a ramp to ground level? 

Errrr, good question.  I guess van with hinged door could be opened before positioning alongside the shed, or unloaded at the stage.  Dropside wagons could drop straight on to the stage.  As for ramping, I guess a couple of long planks could be rested on the edge of the stage, and stored underneath when not being used.  I'm thinking "cheap and cheerful" here, but not too "cheap and nasty"!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Almost everything would be either transferred to a vehicle or for local deliveries a cart so the raised dock would be ideal. Plenty of standard gauge sheds, including those left on preserved lines had a raised platform inside as a loading dock and no ramps. If you had several small stores around it they might use sack trucks to move stuff between them and the dock or they might stand against the dock to make it easier to heft them onto their back or shoulder to carry them. Either way I think planks for the occasional use would be plausible :) 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Can you see what it is yet??

1232103588_IMG_5719small.jpg.767fbd85de17adb060247b47307aa492.jpg

It will look a bit more like this:

1205195586_IMG_5720small.jpg.00c8216f0870c5dada66bde21091d1d0.jpg

And it fits in here:

578854781_IMG_5721small.jpg.c3e6e4413b72cd610127a7ca16355765.jpg

It's a frontal low-relief view-blocker.  It breaks up the long open frontage that has been extended since the carriage shed went, and will represent the end of an anonymous single storey industrial building.

690097129_IMG_5722small.jpg.a7aebded7e72a38f218b181b0e657de4.jpg

1084883047_IMG_5723small.jpg.aa96346f5f0c1637ffe88892634968bb.jpg

The plywood profile will be cut to follow the roofline of the buildings.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Is it removable for transport or just to make it easier to work on?

Easier to work on, as a sub-assembly you can unbolt it and put it on the bench, but will normally stay fixed to the layout.

All buildings are bolted down so they can be removed when necessary.  Only a couple are removed for transport (and not bolted) as they straddle baseboard joints.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the latest look, with the outline complete:

1877657334_IMG_5724small.jpg.0984ec6733ae66a16735252b4abf194a.jpg

The currently rather plain side facing the railway.  It will stay fairly plain as its fairly typical and won't be seen very well.

1523599223_IMG_5727small.jpg.bb58041ec7a2eb5d878a1f9c4bc1f30a.jpg

The buildings are fairly basic foamboard structures, basic but functional.

527621170_IMG_5729small.jpg.af6d36f12cb180c17190f709b3b72eb0.jpg

Most of the detail will be in the roofs, as these will be the most visible bits.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Enjoying the changes you have been making to the old carriage building area. I know it been a aspiration for Bridport Town to have a small town good yard on top of the transfer yard. The inclusion of the additional low relief line side building to break up the view will invoke that town goods yard feel than the open scrub area at the front of the layout. Have you considered a yard crane in between the new goods yard building and the low relief building as another visual break.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, netheravon said:

Enjoying the changes you have been making to the old carriage building area. I know it been a aspiration for Bridport Town to have a small town good yard on top of the transfer yard. The inclusion of the additional low relief line side building to break up the view will invoke that town goods yard feel than the open scrub area at the front of the layout. Have you considered a yard crane in between the new goods yard building and the low relief building as another visual break.

Hi Tony, 

Thanks very much, yes I thought it was high time I stopped talking about it and actually got on with it...

I did wonder about a crane, but there isn't really space.  Anyway I'm not sure it would be justified in this location, a bit too much of a luxury.

Good to hear from you, will you be at Narrow Gauge South in April?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

This layout has a very well executed sense of open space, and I don’t see what the additional structures contribute? 

That's the point though, it's not meant to have a sense of open space, its meant to look like like its built in an existing townscape.  The extra building create a bit of a pinch point,  and help to separate the scenes.   Well, that's the intention...

The carriage shed was a big dominant structure, and its removal had left a frontage that was TOO open.

All the best, Dave.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, DLT said:

That's the point though, it's not meant to have a sense of open space, its meant to look like like its built in an existing townscape.  The extra building create a bit of a pinch point,  and help to separate the scenes.   Well, that's the intention...

The carriage shed was a big dominant structure, and its removal had left a frontage that was TOO open.

All the best, Dave.

I must make a point of seeing it, next time it’s exhibited. I’m sure the photos don’t do justice to the overall impression. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2019 at 17:40, rockershovel said:

I must make a point of seeing it, next time it’s exhibited. I’m sure the photos don’t do justice to the overall impression. 

Thanks very much! 

Bridport's next outing is to Narrow Gauge South on Saturday 18th April; full details here:  http://www.narrowgaugesouth.org.uk/wp/

I've got no firm bookings after that, but may be doing Exeter on 27, 28 June.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Painting is done, weathering to come.  A few accoutrements still to add, like guttering; and as its industrial some odd pipework, ventilators etc; but without making it look too "busy".

199832464_IMG_5737small.jpg.3a4f5928cd32fb0df280502c59d31cb8.jpg

806965233_IMG_5736small.jpg.1edffb044bc410e61a40927f1dab4c78.jpg

I've always used the Scale-Link etched spearpoint railings previously, but today I bought some of the new Peco plastic version to try out.  Its very fine and correspondingly delicate, and I'll report on it shortly.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All part of a cunning plan! (or not...)  You're right though, maybe I should add a door in that corner.

Anyway, stonewalls are appearing (which supposedly pre-date the railway AND the brick buildings) Made by my tried and tested method of cheap tile-grout over plywood, carved when dry. 

I'm pleased to report that the Peco spearpoint railings are very fine indeed, they look superb.  Of course, as a consequence of that fineness, they are delicate to handle, (especially if you are used to etched brass versions) and repay some care in assembly.

Granite setts in the yard areas are the Wills (now Peco I believe?) 4mm scale product, just right for 7mm.

1872139923_IMG_5744small.jpg.1420dc9bcecbc6af73d6d639a459b010.jpg

407906225_IMG_5741small.jpg.65c2d3baf739c60237567b621bb69baf.jpg

1973921154_IMG_5740small.jpg.3e821c9b637230622cf0c6370ba7c32a.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi, 

This is the new thread on my Bridport Town layout.  It carries on from the previous thread Pictures of Bridport Town  That was very kindly started by Arthur Budd in the Narrow Gauge section, several years ago.  However, it not being in my ownership has caused some issues,.  Therefore I have now started this thread, in the Layouts Section.  All further posts on Bridport Town will be here.

Previous discussions and photos are all still available in the previous thread.  I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion.

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, DLT said:

Hi, 

This is the new thread on my Bridport Town layout.  It carries on from the previous thread Pictures of Bridport Town  That was very kindly started by Arthur Budd in the Narrow Gauge section, several years ago.  However, it not being in my ownership has caused some issues,.  Therefore I have now started this thread, in the Layouts Section.  All further posts on Bridport Town will be here.

I hope this doesnt cause too much confusion.

All the best, Dave.

I've moved the posts over Dave but they obviously pre-date the post which you'd set up as the place-holder. Sorry for any confusion!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've moved the posts over Dave but they obviously pre-date the post which you'd set up as the place-holder. Sorry for any confusion!

No probs Andy, thanks very much.

Dave.T