Dapol 2020 Program

Welsh Signaller

It would be better if their web)ite wasn't so woeful. It could be a far less exclusive, and more far-reaching communication platform.

This is the second decade of the 21st century, and they can't even fix broken links. :rolleyes:

• Agree 4

It's not just the links. Even if you go to the website directly, it doesn't appear to be well updated. All well and good if "they consistently turn out stuff" that pleases you, and that you're aware of, but less great if you want to know what they have available and in the immediate pipeline.

It all suggests a lack of attention to the wider, non-UK market. But, hey, that doesn't mark Dapol out as a minority of one! 

But they could do themselves some favours by giving some attention to this (perhaps minor to you) detail.

Edited by truffy

Guest MM1991
13 minutes ago, truffy said:

It's not just the links. Even if you go to the website directly, it doesn't appear to be well updated. All well and good if "they consistently turn out stuff" that pleases you, and that you're aware of, but less great if you want to know what they have available and in the immediate pipeline.

It all suggests a lack of attention to the wider, non-UK market. But, hey, that doesn't mark Dapol out as a minority of one! 

Does it really matter?   Dapol will let us all know when something is due, they dont need to constantly give out information.  The website may be lacking, but it not the end of the world

Guest MM1991
21 hours ago, truffy said:

But they could do themselves some favours by giving some attention to this (perhaps minor to you) detail.

If Dapols' website is anything more than a minor irritation to anyone then I suggest they turn on the TV and see the devastation to people lives, property and livelihood caused by the raging bush fires in Australia.

That might put things in to context

Edited by MM1991

1 hour ago, MM1991 said:

If Dapols' website is anything more than a minor irritation to anyone then I suggest they turn on the TV and see the devastation to people lives, property and livelihood caused by the raging bush fires in Australia.

Ahhh, the age-old 'others-have-it-tougher-so-your-opinion-doesn't-matter argument'.

Still, I s'pose it's more topical than the starving children in Africa. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

Guest MM1991
3 hours ago, truffy said:

Ahhh, the age-old 'others-have-it-tougher-so-your-opinion-doesn't-matter argument'.

Still, I s'pose it's more topical than the starving children in Africa. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

No, I'm just putting it into context

A poor website is not important except possibly to those whose organisation it is 

On 08/01/2020 at 21:02, Adrian Stevenson said:

I agree the website is lacking. Heljan don't seem to be much better to be honest last time I looked? Good comms is vital in business today. But at the end of the day it is the finished product what counts.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes Dapol's website is a tad annoying but do Heljan have a UK website based on UK products?...I'm serious :unsure:

I thought the Heljan RMWEB threads was their website presence :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MM1991 said:

Maybe you would prefer ALL manufacturers to cease 'toy train' production and donate all the money to the cause?

Or we stop buying 'toy trains' and domate that money to the cause?

Just sayin.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I don't use Dapol's website.

I don't use Hornby's website.

I don't use Bachmann's website

I don't use Fleischmann's website....

and so on for another 20-odd manufacturers whose products I do use.

I spent a lot of years teaching amongst other things good website design and I can't be bothered with ANY site that is not intuitive.  Dapol update me by Facebook.   

RMWeb has its moments of total lack of clarity and spellbinding inertia, but is vastly superior to most of the alternative forums, which is why I keep using it.

Les

• Agree 4

On 08/01/2020 at 13:43, Bartb said:

I wish Dapol would give us an update about when their latest models will be out. It seems so hard to get any information from them.

Dapol, like Heljan and perhaps others, seems to rely on using Facebook to update things - for example posted today the the OO Gauge GWR Diesel railcar going out to Dapol stockists.

On 08/01/2020 at 18:43, Bartb said:

I wish Dapol would give us an update about when their latest models will be out. It seems so hard to get any information from them.

That's probably because they don't know either. :)

If you talk to the Dapol bosses at shows you will get an idea of what is in the pipeline and roughly when based on the best information they have at that time. My initial comment wasn't entirely a joke. Dapol, like most other manufacturers rely on Chinese factories doing what they say they are going to do when they say they will do it. Probably due to the difficulties of getting everything together for a relatively short batch production run the factories don't always manage to do things according to their plan. Its not always late production, I have heard that sometimes these factories can make  stuff ahead of schedule or make a bigger batch than was ordered. Often the first thing people like Dapol know is when they get the shipping note. And of course, sometimes a factory does a complete batch wrong despite going through a sample checking process.

Even Bachmann have had similar problems despite being part of the same company as the factory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I don't use Dapol's website.

I don't use Hornby's website.

I don't use Bachmann's website

I don't use Fleischmann's website....

and so on for another 20-odd manufacturers whose products I do use.

I spent a lot of years teaching amongst other things good website design and I can't be bothered with ANY site that is not intuitive.  Dapol update me by Facebook.   

RMWeb has its moments of total lack of clarity and spellbinding inertia, but is vastly superior to most of the alternative forums, which is why I keep using it.

Les

For me Accurascale has the best website out of all of them followed by Hornby but I would say Bachmann is probably the worst, the odd occassion I go there it is like pulling teeth out.

• Agree 2

On 08/01/2020 at 18:43, Bartb said:

Dapol tend to advertise their 'expected soon models in full page adverts in some of the model press. For example the latest advert in the February Hornby magazine lists the following as due soon - 

In oo gauge 5 new versions of the aec gwr passenger railcar and the first releases of the parcels railcar; 4 versions of the Class 29 diesel; 4 versions of the silver bullet wagon and 8 versions of a water tower.

In n gauge - 5 versions of the Class 26 diesel and 7 versions of the Collett coach.

In o gauge 2 signal.

Many of these are shown with photos of the decorated samples. 

I always use these adverts to identify models that I'm interested in.

12 hours ago, classy52 said:

Yes Dapol's website is a tad annoying but do Heljan have a UK website based on UK products?...I'm serious :unsure:

I thought the Heljan RMWEB threads was their website presence :lol:

Agree on that point I was hoping that with Ben Jones involvement communications would have improved.