Dapol 2020 Program

Welsh Signaller

46 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Agree on that point I was hoping that with Ben Jones involvement communications would have improved. 

Yes indeed, the fact Heljan don't have a UK based website and only communicate via Facebook is a bit weird.

I would think I'm not the only one that doesn't use Facebook thus the only place to get info on Heljan products in sort of real-time for me is on RMWeb but even their comms here is a bit sparse.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Agree on that point I was hoping that with Ben Jones involvement communications would have improved. 

They have. He regularly comments on feedback which shows, even if they decide it isnt always cost effective to implement, it is at least being noted.

I do enjoy updates - of course its interesting to follow something you want - but I'm not actually prepared to pay more to cover the cost of them so pretty happy if we dont get many. 

Crossed with above post- I dont disagree not having a basic website is strange, but i dont think anyone could claim we dont know what's being produced and when it actually arrives, so we can buy it, which really is all we actually need? 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dapol Digest notes from the MD that the Pacer will have a new run in 2020. Ideas are sought for liveries. GW chocolate and cream is favourite. These also raan in the livery in Manchester area. Two tone original livery is another option. Manchester orange or Merseyside yellow. The Pacer Family book also shows Regional Railways livery rebranded as ARRIVA. Valley Lines livery is quite colourful.

On 10/01/2020 at 08:18, classy52 said:

For me Accurascale has the best website out of all of them followed by Hornby but I would say Bachmann is probably the worst, the odd occassion I go there it is like pulling teeth out.

The thing is that Bachmann used to have the best website of the lot. A couple of clicks and you were looking at all the steam locos or all the diesels or all the coaches. You could see at a glance the DCC status and the ETA and another click brought up a pretty picture. Bigger pictures were starting to appear when somebody went and broke the whole site. Hornby isn’t too bad but hopeless for browsing. Accurascale probably is the best of the current lot. It really is a shame that Hatton’s and Bachmann parted company. Hatton’s site used to be the place to go to daily to check that nothing had slipped under the radar; all the more valuable as there are now so many players to keep an eye on.

• Agree 2

On 09/01/2020 at 16:57, MM1991 said:

If Dapols' website is anything more than a minor irritation to anyone then I suggest they turn on the TV and see the devastation to people lives, property and livelihood caused by the raging bush fires in Australia.

That might put things in to context

oh for petes sake why are you making this about the wildfires in OZ?   stop making such utterly ridiculous comparisons and maybe try and stick to that context instead.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

oh for petes sake why are you making this about the wildfires in OZ?   stop making such utterly ridiculous comparisons and maybe try and stick to that context instead.

Well pardon me for not having a meltdown because Dapols website isnt up to date, I really must get my priorities right

As someone living in Australia, bad as it may be here, by all means donate to the many charities asking for donations, but because of this environmental disaster, doesn’t mean other people who are going on about there daily lives shouldn’t legitimately complain about how awful websites from manufacturers  are.

just to put it in context, most of the Australian model railway distributors websites are set in the 90’s and are effectively a shop postcard listing stuff for sale and a phone number.

On 13/01/2020 at 03:40, MM1991 said:

Well pardon me for not having a meltdown because Dapols website isnt up to date, I really must get my priorities right

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2020 at 07:08, Chris M said:

My initial comment wasn't entirely a joke. Dapol, like most other manufacturers rely on Chinese factories doing what they say they are going to do when they say they will do it. Probably due to the difficulties of getting everything together for a relatively short batch production run the factories don't always manage to do things according to their plan. Its not always late production, I have heard that sometimes these factories can make  stuff ahead of schedule or make a bigger batch than was ordered. Often the first thing people like Dapol know is when they get the shipping note. And of course, sometimes a factory does a complete batch wrong despite going through a sample checking process.

Modern communication tech should make contact with the suppliers in China easier than at any time in history; I can take my phone out of my pocket and speak to anyone in the world with signal now, immediately, and even have video conversations with them if they have smartphones, and I'm just an ordinary bloke with an unexceptional phone (I almost typed that I was an ordinary bloke with unexceptional equipment, but that's just asking for trouble..).  But applying this to the real world in which UK companies supply goods from Chinese manufacturers is not that simple.  The companies in the UK will be dealing with a Chinese agent (who may or may not be willing or unwilling for his own reasons to release accurate information), and he will in turn be dealing with numerous other agents (who may or may not be willing or unwilling to release accurate information) for facilities which are in effect performing the role of subcontractors (who equally may or may not be willing or unwilling to release accurate information).  And they are all about to take about 3 weeks off to celebrate Chinese New Year...

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Given the seemingly haphazard way Dapol do things I don't think even Dapol have a list of what Dapol will release in 2020...

It usually materialises in September for the members' open day.

Les