TM2001's Workbench - “Kitbashing” Thomas the Tank Engine

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it said by Awdry about them being converted from 6 wheelers.

If I was making them I’d use a pair of old Graham Farish Suburban coaches. They are shorter than 57 footers and you can even get flush glazing for them if I remember right.

Will head up into the railway room later and see if I can grab a picture of a couple of pictures showing what they look like.

Another bonus is you can pick them up cheap on eBay.

Edited by Aire Head
  • Like 1

• TrainMan2001 changed the title to TM2001's Workbench - Now in N Scale!

t725-1.png

I knocked together a quick 3D concept of the design for both coaches. Obviously, the finer details, such as the vents over the doors, door handles, nose, etc. are missing, but the general look of the coaches are there. I might move the doors for the luggage compartment at some point if needed. How do they look? They are to the 44 ft. length.

There will be tumblehomes on the sides.

Also, what sort of things are generically seen on the ends of non-corridor coaches? I think that one of the "Generic Pre-Grouping" coach threads said something about communication lines, and I know that steps and handrails are there, too. So, I guess, (for example) looking at the ends of the Hattons Genesis coaches, what are the separately fitted details called, and would they potentially be on bogie coaches too? I can build a coach body, so I'm not too worried about trying to put as much detail as I can in (I think I'll probably eventually detail Thomas as well, to look better alongside the coaches).

Sorry for asking so many questions, but thanks for the advice you've given.

-TM2001

Oh, and here's a picture of a coach body I built (the ends still need some filing).

20210303_154122.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, TrainMan2001 said:

Also, what sort of things are generically seen on the ends of non-corridor coaches? I think that one of the "Generic Pre-Grouping" coach threads said something about communication lines, and I know that steps and handrails are there, too. So, I guess, (for example) looking at the ends of the Hattons Genesis coaches, what are the separately fitted details called, and would they potentially be on bogie coaches too? I can build a coach body, so I'm not too worried about trying to put as much detail as I can in (I think I'll probably eventually detail Thomas as well, to look better alongside the coaches)

Yes, you won't go far wrong copying the Genesis carriages. There will be steps, either in an inverted V at one end (access to the roof from either side of the carriage) or going up from left to right at both ends, with appropriate handrails and grab handles on the roof. Train alarm gear at one end. Then you need to decide what sort of illumination - electric is straightforward, with a battery box on the underframe and the wiring out of sight inside the carriage; oil simpler still but almost certainly no longer in use by the time the carriages were moved to the Ffarquar branch. Gas is the most complicated, because there will be one or sometimes two pipes running from the gas cylinders attached to the underframe, up one end, and then along the roof, supported on a row of little blocks. (The second pipe is for the pilot light used for some installations.) Here's a good photo of such a gas lighting set up.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past week or so, I made Annie and Clarabel's sides. A lot of illustrations show 8 roof vents on either side of their rooves, which I took to mean 8 compartments. So I lengthened them to 48 feet after staring at Thomas with two 44 foot paper cut-outs behind him and deciding they were too short. The windows were the worst things to cut out. Here are some pictures of the coaches and one of Thomas, because I think I've only mentioned him so far.

20210308_185049.jpg

20210316_192745.jpg

20210311_155835.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've begun work on Thomas' milk van, which he's said to take to Elsbridge every morning. It's based on the GWR Diagram O1 van. The sides are made from 0.5mm plastic card (fragile!) and I still need to do the framing.

20210330-193731.jpg

I also have been working on smokebox doors for Thomas. One is natural, and the others will be a trial for illustration-like faces. If you look at pictures in the railway series, where the engines are side on or close to it, the faces often appear to be non-existant. I hope it'll look somewhat unique.

Bowled-Out-RS2.png

Offthe-Rails-RS7.png

Screenshot-20210330-202605-Chrome.jpg

I also have a layout thread now, which is fittingly, Elsbridge:

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, it has been a while, but I am back! A while back, I sold all of my OO Scale trains and moved into N Scale, because I thought it would be better. After a while, I just wasn't as happy with the trains as I used to be, so I have been switching back to OO scale, this time with more of a focus on what I actually want to do with real-life model trains. I have an engine on the way which is the real life version of a smaller (physically) Thomas character. My focus will be LNER based in an area that a former railway used to occupy before being merged into the LNER. I'll reveal that once the engine gets here. Any guesses who the character would be if I turned the engine into it?
20211202-143756.jpg

20211202-144117.jpg

20211202-144624.jpg

Also, here's some of the new rolling stock I got! I have 5 wagons from Oxford Rail, most of them from the LNER. I also started building some kits (all LNER) and I found my old brake van as well! I was also able to get the original Bachmann Christmas stock back, too! I have more kits on the way as well; they're actually quite fun to build!

20211202-143332.jpg

20211202-174113.jpg

I also am getting ready for another attempt on my old Thomas project, which is exciting! Watch this space for more!
-TrainMan2001

• TrainMan2001 changed the title to TM2001's Workbench - “Kitbashing” Thomas the Tank Engine

I'm back with my second attempt at the Bachmann Thomas project! By chance, I figured out that the Hornby Clockwork Thomas was pretty accurate to the original TV show, except from the running plate and Smokebox, which were a little stretched to fit the Clockwork mechanism. However, I was able to cut the body away from the smokebox and running plate from the body. After that, I took the smokebox from my Bachmann Thomas and glued it to the body. The glue didn't actually stick the pieces of Thomas together the first time, so I had to do that again. I also put some milliput inside the boiler where the join for the smokebox was, so it shouldn't come apart now. I also glued the underside of the boiler to him, which came from the smokebox from the Clockwork model (there's not much of it left!).

IMG-20220116-190239.jpg

IMG-20220116-190358.jpg

I also decided that I'll just use the Bachmann mechanism (other modellers leave older mechanisms in models they improve with success), because I know that it runs pretty well. However, I did get a new motor, since I had my old one for 7 years, and it was in a box for at least 5 years before that, and it has definitely been used a lot! I'll be modifying the gearbox to fit the smaller body, and I'll try to figure something out to disguise it in the cab (I'll also put some detail in and a crew eventually).

IMG-20220116-190653.jpg

That's all for now! I just need to put some milliput in a few gaps to fill them and design a 3d-printed running plate (I think I'll copy the Bachmann N Scale design), then I can wait for the detail parts to arrive from the U.K.. After that, the alterations will be complete and I can start on painting!

Edit: Now I'm just not sure if it's technically a Bachmann or Hornby Thomas?

Edited by TrainMan2001
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, my Shapeways shipment has arrived! I got some faces for Thomas and printed out a running plate I designed!

Here are the faces. Some of them are the same as the ones I had before, and there are others that are new.
IMG-20220129-151118.jpg

It's really cool to see how the project is finally starting to come together now after a couple of years of work! I did forget to do the splashers, but I'll figure those out later. Something nice, though, is that the Bachmann chassis slots neatly into the running plate, something I was a little concerned about when designing it. Anyways, here are some pictures:
IMG-20220129-151051.jpg

IMG-20220129-154958.jpg

IMG-20220129-155910.jpg

As you can see, he scales pretty much to how I wanted him to when I first started this project! Now I just need to cut the motor casing and try to figure out how to hold everything together, then put all of the little details on. I have lamp irons, brake gear, and handrails to put on, and I plan on making sandboxes as well!

Also, I have a couple of questions. I have some brass parts (pictured below) and I was wondering how I would fit them to a plastic body? What type of glue would one use to do that? I also have handrails, and I am also wondering how I would get the wire to stay in the handrail knobs?

IMG-20220130-121257.jpg

Thanks,

TM2001

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And we're back to a Series 1 inspired Thomas!

As I was preparing to add detail to the model, I started thinking a lot about why I was doing the project in the first place, and I couldn't really think of anything beyond fulfilling a childhood dream. I also have thought about doing some of the other original characters (mainly Edward, Henry, and Gordon), and I couldn't think about how I would add extra details to them without just getting an A3, Black 5, etc., and that wasn't very appealing to me. Not to mention the fact that I've had to look at a bunch of photos from Series 1 recently to paint Thomas' faces, anyway. I have sold off the detailing packs, and the faces I wasn't planning on keeping, so I'm not really doing this at a loss, which is lucky. I will be keeping the extra running plate, though, in case I ever do decide to do anything with it.

Anyways, I need to show you where the project is at, because despite the setbacks, I did not quit working on it!

Thomas is really close to being ready to paint, and I have been working on the faces! I did need to build the Smokebox support out of plasticard, but since it was just a square, it was rather easy! I only have one face left to paint, and eyebrows to draw on for two (and permanently draw on for the confused face).
IMG-20220215-212950.jpg
16454878735067688162972561398403.jpg

I have also been tweaking the running plate I designed a year and a half ago (can't believe it's been that long!) to be more accurate and to fit the body shell better. Overall, it'll be around a millimeter too long, but it's still closer than the Bachmann model.
t725-2.png
I cut the gearbox down to size as well, and I ordered the blue paint, which should arrive tomorrow! I really just need to paint the body shell, finish designing and order the running plate and a couple of other things from Shapeways, and the bodywork will all be done!

Now I really just need to figure out the lining and number. I have had vinyl cut stickers recommended to be, but I don't really think I'd be happy with it if I did that, because they look like stickers, and not part of a paint job. I would love to do transfers, but I'm not really sure how I'd get some specifically to fit Thomas (and his number design as well). I don't really have access to a printer, either. If anyone has some recommendations on how to do that, it would really be appreciated!

Anyway, that's all for now, thanks for reading!
-TM2001

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Goodness, I didn't realize it has been so long since I updated you guys on the project!

In short, I have been painting Thomas' body and wheels, and I finished the new 3d model for the running plate and ordered it from Shapeways.

IMG-20220315-155517.jpg

IMG-20220316-121520.jpg

IMG-20220316-123024.jpg

IMG-20220322-090552.jpg

t725-5.png

I also learned how to do waterslide transfers, and began working on Thomas' red lining today!

IMG-20220402-153007.jpg

IMG-20220402-202430.jpg

IMG-20220402-202631.jpg

That's all for now. Next I'll finish off Thomas' red lining, and then I'll just be waiting for my Shapeways order to come in!

-TM2001

• Like 1