Butanone / MEK application?

• RMweb Premium

I don't think so Dave.

Rubbing alcohol is as the name implies an alcohol, although I believe you can get various types so it may be based on ethyl (drinking) alcohol, or iso-propyl alcohol.

MEK is a ketone not an alcohol and methylene dichloride is also something totally different.

• RMweb Premium

No, rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol surely, not methylene chloride? I use IPA for track cleaning and methylene chloride for sticking plastic.

Edited by Dave Hunt
Hit send too soon
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Crosland said:

Too  much IPA certainly gives me the runs :)

Internal

Passage

Activator

or

Intestinal

Purging

Agent

Edited by rab
Version 2 added

On 08/01/2020 at 08:46, flubrush said:

I now use syringes to apply MEK/Butanone when building track with plastic chairs.  I find that I can apply the correct amount quite easily and there are very few fumes compared to using a brush.  You can also pick up and put down the syringe quite easily with one hand - no "brush in bottle" action required with the possibility of spilling the bottle.   The syringes and blunt needles can be got from Ebay - maybe get an assortment of needle sizes to let you decide on what size is best for you.

Jim.

Hello,

Do you have a link for the ones you have used please?

trustytrev.:)

22 minutes ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

Do you have a link for the ones you have used please?

trustytrev.:)

I got my syringes and needles a few years ago.  The syringes were a pack of 10 x 10ml and the needles were an assorted pack of 25 IIRC.  The suppliers don't appear on Ebay these days but there are a good few advertising syringes and/or needles.  Here's one for a pack of five syringes and needles

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Packs-10ml-Syringe-With-5Pcs-14-ga-1-5-Blunt-Tip-Needle-5Pcs-Clear-Tip-Caps/263808616478?hash=item3d6c38081e:g:Ix0AAOSwoF5cdmPF

...and if you search on Ebay for syringes and needles you can find a lot more.  The advert above is sourced in China so you would have to wait a week or two for delivery.  You might find others with quicker delivery.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

The syringes themselves are most often made from Polyethylene or polypropylene which are pretty inert to most solvents.  The bigger concern might be the "rubber" O ring that many have on the plunger.  Those with a diaphragm may be better protected.

Thorough cleaning out and washing - eventually with water - should extend the life of such components.

Most of these syringes are designed as single use, but of course as modellers with long pockets but short arms, we tend to reuse them over and over again.

the reason I bought a bulk pack of syringes was that I suspected that the solvents we use might affect them.  But my experience has shown that Butanone (MEK) has little long-term effect on the syringes.  I've just checked the three syringes I've used over the past year or so and they are still in working condition.  I always empty them if I think they will be on the shelf for some time.   I think that the only solvent I found that had some effect on the syringes was Plastic Weld but only after a period of use,  so probably taken as acceptable considering the low cost of the syringes.

Jim.