Recommend a robust plug..

cheekychops

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, sharris said:

I'd be wary of using audio jacks for power applications (particularly multi-pole) as they can be prone to momentarily shorting and misalignment of connections during insertion and withdrawal.

In real life that's not a problem. I use them on portable layouts, assemble the boards (bolt them together), make the electrical connections, plug in the controller and I'm good to go.

19 hours ago, Gavin Liddiard said:

Automotive connectors are what I use.

"Automotive" connectors like that are "fit and forget", much like PC power supply connectors.

They are simply not designed for repeated insertion/removal and thus unsuitable for an exhibition layout, as required by the OP..

• Agree 4

On 08/01/2020 at 11:58, Robert Stokes said:

Yes, I suppose that you are right. I think it extremely unlikely that anyone would come to an exhibition with mains equipment having that sort of connector but I suppose that you have to guard against even that remote possibility.

Robert

Extremely unlikely?  I will be taking  several three pin versions of the flex connectors to a show this weekend, not for a lawn mower, but to join individual lighting modules (fluourescents at mains voltage) on a layout. 

Steve W.

I find Stereo Jack plugs to be handy, the big ones, 6.35mm?  1/4" ?  Rated at 5 Amps, enough for DCC.  I use chassis sockets fixed firmly to one baseboard.  Ideally two chassis sockets with a double ended fly lead, not tow trailing leads as shown in about post 3 or 4.     They pull out when you tread on the leads,    I use them on Morley hand helds after problems with Din Plugs which are too fragile in my experience.

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2020 at 15:38, Nigelcliffe said:

You also have to consider your successors coming to your model, plugging it together to check it works and killing themselves with mains at the track. 

Connectors intended as mains plugs/sockets should never be used for low voltage circuits, too many opportunities for errors, regardless of how careful and "only used my me, in my shed" one might be. 

I see "Right Away" is also trying to kill people with more mains connectors for low voltage circuits.  And do it expensively !    I paid about £2 per XLR when I bought a batch for Burntisland's lighting rig, from a reputable source: Farnell.

I don’t think “Right away” is actually trying to kill people, just giving bad advice which must not be followed.

I use XLR connectors in various guises - 5 pin for layout low voltage power (16v AC & 12v DC), four pin for controllers, and 3 pin for track power between boards (so far only one track otherwise it will need a rethink :mellow:). 

They are nice and robust, latch, and by using different configurations it's impossible to connect things up incorrectly. 

Agreed 100% that anything that has any potential mains usage is a no-no. All too easy to make a dangerous mistake during show setup, especially if you have help unfamiliar with your kit. 

Just my 2d ;).

Les

Edited by lesmond
clarity

On 09/01/2020 at 15:25, Crosland said:

"Automotive" connectors like that are "fit and forget", much like PC power supply connectors.

They are simply not designed for repeated insertion/removal and thus unsuitable for an exhibition layout, as required by the OP..

I disagree.

They might not be designed for this use but do it very well.

Our three large exhibition layouts :- Mostyn, Johnstown Road and Mauch Chunk all use automotive connectors for electrical connection and have survived as much as sixteen years of trouble free use.

The OP asked about a presumably DCC Bus.    "Automotive" connectors just aren't really suitable for DCC.   Leaving aside 7 Pin trailer plugs and sockets  Automotive connectors are not designed for repeated dis connection and re connection.   They have no strain relief sleeves and their pins are crimped to the wires.  They cost peanuts from scrap yards, as do yards of nice colour coded 5 amp wire, but you have to solder the pins to the wires and pins and sockets often push out of the plastic housing when trying to connect them.  If you take them apart every 10 years they are probably OK but I wouldn't recommend them.

7 Pin trailer sockets may well be OK, they have strain relief sleeves, rated at about 10 amps per terminal, have screw terminals for wires, and are intended for frequent connection and dis connection.  On a caravan the Earth Pin could take 115 watts almost 10 amps when braking with lights, rear fogs, and an indicator working so its not just a nominal rating. 

They ought to be worthy of consideration.  They are on eBay for about £6 the pair inc postage.

Screenshot (165).png

Edited by DavidCBroad

1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

The OP asked about a presumably DCC Bus.    "Automotive" connectors just aren't really suitable for DCC.   Leaving aside 7 Pin trailer plugs and sockets  Automotive connectors are not designed for repeated dis connection and re connection.   They have no strain relief sleeves and their pins are crimped to the wires.  They cost peanuts from scrap yards, as do yards of nice colour coded 5 amp wire, but you have to solder the pins to the wires and pins and sockets often push out of the plastic housing when trying to connect them.  If you take them apart every 10 years they are probably OK but I wouldn't recommend them.

7 Pin trailer sockets may well be OK, they have strain relief sleeves, rated at about 10 amps per terminal, have screw terminals for wires, and are intended for frequent connection and dis connection.  On a caravan the Earth Pin could take 115 watts almost 10 amps when braking with lights, rear fogs, and an indicator working so its not just a nominal rating. 

They ought to be worthy of consideration.  They are on eBay for about £6 the pair inc postage.

Screenshot (165).png

Dont forget the modern 13 pin variant-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-PIN-TRAILER-CARAVAN-PLUG-AND-SOCKET-towing-electric-connectors/123427421211?epid=23024838599&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1cbcd8fc1b:g:nNMAAOSwXy1bxEr0&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUKrOzkUXSrpceybAMTijjhTEGn62u7tOOTJV1VU3tGAtsvHztM0dBh7oLs7ugqLBV9GZbYn3V9QV%2FYzH%2BkdW3wQ6Ao9m1z%2F8Q0OH42fdEpFdnsW9JuXzYND4mvkU%2FhLifokPCXosQk1VGCfHuCggTVO8a%2FTYBDJnIgaIaWaHBtyp3PGZFCvwMy6I0jfZetugP5ZVsloLWtL6ShnX7W8BBIi3jobnoQmztPr%2FqSCd4XqcI19QN%2BSEpsV%2BZph4dTpmIoATKdvQF6mE2RqxKBHTbIbn6zCbpuKnS9jhatTZi%2FjbHcVY%2Bs%2F5Xr5Hzd0YcbkG5gCGbTXz5trxfHzXWGw6u%2F8hAl6%2Bls43sx9HxsqkVyXGpEzOFJathgNOCWIZsEKS64%2FHHJAvVJZtOPOwCTWPY9dwHn5c1P%2FpRfiTDsBK%2BecPD91K3gqPfLJFSFZ55T0RA7mlZ%2BYmCfdALSs48A8CYuUQcSwLi6IGfbzXlZVZCDbYxRvc4aBrvo63wJ16foc1owUg3uWUHJUptGPDCZYmjy%2FphWTUNljqC67F3sQF6QJKh4QRQSW%2FPsNwnDNsh7G1SMnencj9DBK%2FuIrwaXgkFqf9eeJwqIhP5IbmGStc5Hh4eGHnWBjFapFYLoHj2G%2FO08kpL%2Ft9rBzLPp0on03oS47VKlz7NFHqwfbNxpuwUByEnFRMPEN%2FFWTmS%2FL2NhxdZKudpJLzLEEGtptSW6m%2BWE%2FfzCV4xbf9alHG7GreV7fopJJKMsBdbUf2kQlrkr5jQ%3D&checksum=1234274212115de67aaa27af4e509a50269316f2708c&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUKrOzkUXSrpceybAMTijjhTEGn62u7tOOTJV1VU3tGAtsvHztM0dBh7oLs7ugqLBV9GZbYn3V9QV%2FYzH%2BkdW3wQ6Ao9m1z%2F8Q0OH42fdEpFdnsW9JuXzYND4mvkU%2FhLifokPCXosQk1VGCfHuCggTVO8a%2FTYBDJnIgaIaWaHBtyp3PGZFCvwMy6I0jfZetugP5ZVsloLWtL6ShnX7W8BBIi3jobnoQmztPr%2FqSCd4XqcI19QN%2BSEpsV%2BZph4dTpmIoATKdvQF6mE2RqxKBHTbIbn6zCbpuKnS9jhatTZi%2FjbHcVY%2Bs%2F5Xr5Hzd0YcbkG5gCGbTXz5trxfHzXWGw6u%2F8hAl6%2Bls43sx9HxsqkVyXGpEzOFJathgNOCWIZsEKS64%2FHHJAvVJZtOPOwCTWPY9dwHn5c1P%2FpRfiTDsBK%2BecPD91K3gqPfLJFSFZ55T0RA7mlZ%2BYmCfdALSs48A8CYuUQcSwLi6IGfbzXlZVZCDbYxRvc4aBrvo63wJ16foc1owUg3uWUHJUptGPDCZYmjy%2FphWTUNljqC67F3sQF6QJKh4QRQSW%2FPsNwnDNsh7G1SMnencj9DBK%2FuIrwaXgkFqf9eeJwqIhP5IbmGStc5Hh4eGHnWBjFapFYLoHj2G%2FO08kpL%2Ft9rBzLPp0on03oS47VKlz7NFHqwfbNxpuwUByEnFRMPEN%2FFWTmS%2FL2NhxdZKudpJLzLEEGtptSW6m%2BWE%2FfzCV4xbf9alHG7GreV7fopJJKMsBdbUf2kQlrkr5jQ%3D&checksum=1234274212115de67aaa27af4e509a50269316f2708c

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2020 at 18:20, Gavin Liddiard said:

I disagree.

They might not be designed for this use but do it very well.

Our three large exhibition layouts :- Mostyn, Johnstown Road and Mauch Chunk all use automotive connectors for electrical connection and have survived as much as sixteen years of trouble free use.

4 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Screenshot (165).png

Well, somebody is doing it wrong!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

To my thinking it’s now getting ridiculous, these connectors are bigger than the Locos! :lol:

Everybody can use what they want and I am sure in 10 years time people will be chatting on here saying “I use a !@£€%&* connector and it’s been perfect for 10 years”...........

The Kato DCC system uses the same connectors as used in the D.C. system and mines been working great for over ten years.......there I told you so! ;)

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Must be me Mike.

I've been getting it wrong for seventeen years.

Anybody who was at Stevenage (CMRA) exhibition last weekend might have seen Johnstown Road, our Cambrian 'O' gauge layout that uses automotive style connectors.

The original half of the layout was first exhibited in 2003 and has been to at least 2 shows per year since then and the connectors have never failed.

Our 'HO' layout Mauch Chunk will be at Alexandra Palace in March. It uses the automotive connectors I linked to in my first post. AP will be it's sixth show and, so far, it's had no problems with the wiring yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

How about scart plug and socket ,21 pin should cover most things. ( the socket on the rear of a sky box)

derek

Scarts are horrible connectors and don't have a reliable (if any) locking mechanism- I just went to look at the one in the back of the TV - must have fallen out sometime!

9 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Have you thought about Molex connectors as used in computers? they are all non reversible and available from the far east cheaply, especially in bulk.

e.g 4.2mm Pitch Multi Plug Connector Sets Molex 2 ~ 24 Way Male + Female + Terminal

I didn't check this one, but Molex only give reliability figures for many of their connectors for 30 insertion cycles.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Gavin Liddiard said:

Must be me Mike.

I've been getting it wrong for seventeen years.

Anybody who was at Stevenage (CMRA) exhibition last weekend might have seen Johnstown Road, our Cambrian 'O' gauge layout that uses automotive style connectors.

The original half of the layout was first exhibited in 2003 and has been to at least 2 shows per year since then and the connectors have never failed.

Our 'HO' layout Mauch Chunk will be at Alexandra Palace in March. It uses the automotive connectors I linked to in my first post. AP will be it's sixth show and, so far, it's had no problems with the wiring yet.

I know who I'd rather take advice from! (That's not just because you have a fellow Blade on board.)

Mike.

18 minutes ago, sharris said:

I didn't check this one, but Molex only give reliability figures for many of their connectors for 30 insertion cycles.

Where did you find this information about Molex reliability please?

They make hundreds of different types of plugs and sockets and I have to say that of all the connectors I have used Molex are the ones that stand out for never having needed to be replaced.

13 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Where did you find this information about Molex reliability please?

Farnell- they have downloadable data sheets - e.g. near the bottom of this screen-grab - these are terminals for one of their ranges of 4.2mm pitch connectors.

IMG_6675.PNG.ea6572ed57668634fcb2755c17c99ed4.PNG

Edit:

some Molex terminals have a listed durability of 100 mating cycles - but you do need to search through the different connector ranges to find them.

Edited by sharris