Oakford Lane PW Depot

Welcome to the story of my first true micro layout.

I bought scale model scenery large modular baseboards at Warley along with a fair bit of rolling stock and a loco for this layout.
49350217082_e124b7788e.jpgIMG_20191123_204229

49349549708_0204d34729.jpgIMG_20191123_204237 

49349549488_15da86d360.jpgIMG_20191123_204246

Ideas were forming in my head before Warley that I wanted to do some kind of PW/engineers yard, obviously this is a small representation but it could be expanded beyond this into the rest of the yard.
I have been working on this since November and will add updates in subsequent posts as I have too many pictures to add in one go.

• Like 4

I had to wait until December to get the extra point as I only had a spare right hand short radius point in code 75 which I had sitting round for months.
I opted for a short wye point which gave me the geometery I required for the depot maintenance shed to sit properly.

49350006026_d714d7e551.jpg78254302_1183914215135297_8852672090982055936_n

I had to see build the shed to a basic level before I could fully decide on the track plan, I really wanted the Bachmann scenecraft single road maintenance shed but I couldnt rationalise the cost after dropping £400 on stuff at warley.
So I decided to build the scalescenes single road modern diesel shed, I have tailored it to suit the layout and made it the same footprint as the Bachmann one so in the future I can change it if I decide to get it.

49349546768_77250c9de6.jpg75371638_577015739721344_3776918876311257088_n 

As you can see I had to decide where to put the points so that the stabling track would not be too close to the building.

49350006126_e805848511.jpg77391963_10156546069840952_4934524223143018496_n

The depot building has not advanced further than this as I only needed to be able to tell the size but it is meant to be a though road and that is not what I wanted so this is my adaption by making it a brick ended rather than having the door on it.

• Like 6

The scenic break for the layout is a brick build resin bridge kit from Skytrex Models.
I have customised it to my specifications.

49350007461_1f4e093e9e.jpgIMG_20191223_205233

49349547793_208d2e36dd.jpgIMG_20191223_205252 

49349547953_a9a98588d4.jpgIMG_20191223_205239 

I have added my own touches to it to make it look like the girder sections carry on further back using H beam plastistrut and 20/1000 plasticard.

This has all been painted and I will upload some pictures tonight.

• Like 10

The low relief bridge painted and then installed.

To paint it I used humbrol red brick, then a layer of citadel typhus corruption, a wash of khaki on top with most wiped off, then to represent the lime that comes out of stones I drybrushed it with white very subtlely.
49357955572_5181a4eff2.jpg

49357752961_7dae85d33b.jpg

49357955217_267c9574c9.jpg

The final picture also has the plaster cloth hill and small brick retaining wall installed, the hillside was made from cardboard formers filled with scrunched up newspaper which had plaster cloth put over the top.

• Like 9

I painted the hillside using brown poster paint and then covered that in dried tea leaves. I dried them back in the summer, putting them on a baking try in the greenhouse for a few days.
49350214572_d989921dca.jpg

I have added static grass in wintery/autumn shades, ruberised horse hair as weeds and brambles, using varying shades of dead or autumn leaves from the little leaf company I have added some foliage to the scene. The final thing was the clump foliage bushes in an olive type colour.
49350214197_64d11391e8.jpg

• Like 6

The next stage of the construction revolved around the backscene.
I am a firm believer in a plain background with low relief buildings and similar items to make the backscene. To this end I have used download cardboard kits from model railway scenery as industrial warehouses and units.
49349546558_8e2f001e9e.jpg

I am having 2 buildings on the back and one on the side.

I have decided to block the depot in with palisade security fencing which I got as a laser cut kit from scale model scenery.

The story I have developed for the layout is when this depot was built there was nothing but fields and land around it, as time progressed the town near by developed and the land adjacent to the railway was developed into an industrial site, so when this layout is set during the late 80s early 90s the industrial units were backing right up against the depot.

49358288162_19f6f38a4f.jpg

49350213662_89d7f80622.jpg

A fantastic kit I cannot reccomend it enough and I really enjoyed building it and painting it as well.
49358085171_3bf1cab422.jpg

49358085116_2da331356e.jpg
I have tried my best to build a little dirt path for the people who might have to go out the fire escape, be it to escape fires or for a quick smoke whilst the boss isnt around, i've done this using the tea leaves as the base and then added a greenscene fine scatter type material as the more well trodden path.
(you can also see part of the concrete hardstanding)

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The concrete hardstanding was made following some ideas I have seen on youtube videos on Gowerton Parkway.

49349547573_68d684230b.jpg

Using mount board and cereal card I have brought the level of the hardstanding up to just below rail level so I can still clean the rail heads.
49349547213_f57437d8f9.jpg
It was glued down using copydex and applying weight.

49350005831_00080cac4d.jpg

49358085211_a54bb8a60c.jpg

The painting was done with a sponge which is how marcus did it on gowerton parkway, using a halfords spray primer first I then let that dry and added varying shades of grey with the sponge and got to the effect you can see in the pictures.
I have also installed the scale model scenery fencing on a small portion of the back area, only on some as I have to connect things together and I need to build the larger low relief industrial unit for the end piece which I am doing currently.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

This layout you are building is coming together nicely. I like the work you have done with the embankment and the dirt path.

The hard standing is looking great and the paintwork on it is nicely done.

Thank you, i'm really enjoying building this, it has kept me entertained since starting it back in November.

• Like 1

Just a few shots showing off the scale model scenery kits i've been building today.
I had a big delivery of sms kits arrive on friday, i've built a couple of them today, the shelving units, and pallets.

49375276497_572370680c.jpg

49374618693_6db04fe8be.jpg

49374618473_70c7136a69.jpg

49374646088_efb39cff7c.jpg

I made another 2 low relief buildings for the far end of the micro (far haha) they are the same basic design as the other larger unit but I have put no lower window or door in and changed the supplied textures to add a bit of variety.
The downpipe and hopper were made by myself to hide the join between the 2 buildings. The downpipe is just 1mm black wire, the hopper was made from H beam plastistrut with plasticard stuck on the top and then all painted black and stuck down with a spot of cyano.

I hope you enjoy, i've really enjoyed building these kits.

• Like 6

Well after a few days of trying to get a traverser fiddle yard to work I abandoned that in favour of a more traditional one with points and fixed track.

I have replaced the right hand point with a double slip and this allows the old point to be put in the fiddle yard to help move stock between the front and back sidings off scene.
Movement between the front and back can only be done with an 08 and a turbot or wagon of a similar length or 2 shorter 10ft wheelbase wagons.
The fiddle yard track coming off the double slip on the front sidings will fit a 2ft long train.
It gives shunting capabilities with less hands on in the fiddle yard.
Track shack was once again excellent with their delivery, I ordered the double slip on thursday, it was on my table when I got back from work on friday.

I will do some pictures tomorrow of the changes

As mentioned above I have begun to alter the points and address the entrance for the fiddle yard.

49415914881_21230f0e5b.jpg
This shows the proposed positions of the points for the fiddle yard.

49415914881_21230f0e5b.jpg

This shows the position of the fiddle yard points and double slip, just using the peco turnout plans you can download and print from their website.

A few days after those initial ones I had the double slip in my possession so I got about fitting it with droppers, well extending the ones that peco have provided.
I've followed my usual wiring plan of black to the front and red to the back, with green for the frog.
49416120917_3e5a5b1615.jpg

I was quite lucky in that I only had to drill 2 new holes for the point control system (not sure how im doing that just yet)
The originals from the previous point are sufficient for the new droppers to fit into them, as the sub-base is made from foamboard I can cut a small channel if I find the point is sitting proud at all.

I have consulted with a friend of mine about where the double slip has been located, so I do not loose too much length in the sidings it has gone quite close to the edge of the board, the track required to make it to the edge would be absolutely tiny, so would have very little strength. To combat this he suggested adding the extra track as normal but soldering it to the end of the double slip as well as the fishplates, this way the double slip just has a longer frog rather than putting insulated joiners the actual baseboard cut will be where the conductivity ends.

49415914556_c1710287c6.jpg

I have glued a piece of timber into the base of the laser cut mdf baseboard just so I can add alignment dowels and strengthening bolts, I have opted for a similar size to the ones already on the baseboards, as it wont be required to hold the weight of a massive layout I have used 70mm M6 bolts.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2020 at 22:36, Oncomin5torm said:

Thank you. 

Hopefully over the weekend I can get some fiddle yard connections setup and possibly even something running. 

Hope you have success over the weekend, build so far is excellent and I look forward to seeing it progress.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

Hope you have success over the weekend, build so far is excellent and I look forward to seeing it progress.

All the best

Mark

Thank you, i'll be making a start tomorrow on the bones of it. Alignment dowels and bolts are here so with my day off I should hopefully be able to crack on.

• Like 1

More new stock arrived today.
a loco.
49438938296_8b1b05a5fe.jpg
Hornby super detail class 31 31439 in regional railways livery.
Absolute bargain in my opinion at £102 from hattons, including delivery and its dcc fitted.
It runs really well and will look the business on Oakford Lane for cameo visits.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

In all my excitement I forgot to actually post about finishing the fiddle yard. The new 31 was running on it yesterday actually haha.

49444235493_8cc3cd8a9d.jpg

I have used 9mm ply salvaged from a previous layout which is why its brown with other marks and holes all over it, it has been braced with 2x1 timber for support but it has also had to have 2 small 9mm strips applied on the bottom to raise it to the correct height for the rails to connect.

49444235208_864a5f148f.jpg

Using copper clad PCB cut down to the correct size I wanted, some would argue a little too big but I wanted added strength.
The alignment dowels were bought from layouts4u and are brilliant, once installed they work flawlessly, to do the installation I got the boards exactly level on a level surface, which just happened to be the kitchen counter top. I Started by clamping the boards together and then drilling a 3mm pilot hole where I wanted the dowels to go, removing the clamps I drilled the ends wider, but not too much as a snug fit is needed to allow the dowels to go in but not come out.

I laid the track across from the scenic section into the fiddle yard and after applying solder to the underside of the rails where the rails would sit against the copper clad I applied heat and more solder to keep it in place.
the double slip sits very close to the edge of the board and I was advised to give it more strength by soldering the rails which would go onto the copper clad directly onto the double slip, I was unsure at first until I realised that once cut at the baseboard join it just acts like an elongated frog coming off the point.

Once all this was done I cut the rails and filed the ends slightly to make sure they were smooth.
I tested the tracks with an 08 and it ran brilliantly across the joins.

The tracks in the fiddle yard are long enough for me to do some shunting, the long siding will hold a 2ft long train, so an 08 with turbot and pike wagon and brake van, or a mix of smaller wagons, the headshunt section on the other side has enough space for an 08 and either a turbot or pike, or 2 small wagons.

I have also added what will be a programming track as I run DCC, this will be isolated via a toggle switch.

49444942052_c53d8631ec.jpg

With the fiddle yard sorted I decided it was high time I got some ballast down on the layout.
I'm using sand, as it is a depot area the ballast would not be the quality of the mainline and would be a lot less cared for especially during the late 80s when the railways were in a rundown state. The sand will be weathered to give it a more uniform colour but not all one colour across the yard, I will also be adding some scenic materials like a fine powder I got from green scenes which works really well, oil spills, static grass, rubbish and general stuff from round the yard.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

In all my excitement I forgot to actually post about finishing the fiddle yard. The new 31 was running on it yesterday actually haha.

49444235493_8cc3cd8a9d.jpg

I have used 9mm ply salvaged from a previous layout which is why its brown with other marks and holes all over it, it has been braced with 2x1 timber for support but it has also had to have 2 small 9mm strips applied on the bottom to raise it to the correct height for the rails to connect.

49444235208_864a5f148f.jpg

Using copper clad PCB cut down to the correct size I wanted, some would argue a little too big but I wanted added strength.
The alignment dowels were bought from layouts4u and are brilliant, once installed they work flawlessly, to do the installation I got the boards exactly level on a level surface, which just happened to be the kitchen counter top. I Started by clamping the boards together and then drilling a 3mm pilot hole where I wanted the dowels to go, removing the clamps I drilled the ends wider, but not too much as a snug fit is needed to allow the dowels to go in but not come out.

I laid the track across from the scenic section into the fiddle yard and after applying solder to the underside of the rails where the rails would sit against the copper clad I applied heat and more solder to keep it in place.
the double slip sits very close to the edge of the board and I was advised to give it more strength by soldering the rails which would go onto the copper clad directly onto the double slip, I was unsure at first until I realised that once cut at the baseboard join it just acts like an elongated frog coming off the point.

Once all this was done I cut the rails and filed the ends slightly to make sure they were smooth.
I tested the tracks with an 08 and it ran brilliantly across the joins.

The tracks in the fiddle yard are long enough for me to do some shunting, the long siding will hold a 2ft long train, so an 08 with turbot and pike wagon and brake van, or a mix of smaller wagons, the headshunt section on the other side has enough space for an 08 and either a turbot or pike, or 2 small wagons.

I have also added what will be a programming track as I run DCC, this will be isolated via a toggle switch.

49444942052_c53d8631ec.jpg

With the fiddle yard sorted I decided it was high time I got some ballast down on the layout.
I'm using sand, as it is a depot area the ballast would not be the quality of the mainline and would be a lot less cared for especially during the late 80s when the railways were in a rundown state. The sand will be weathered to give it a more uniform colour but not all one colour across the yard, I will also be adding some scenic materials like a fine powder I got from green scenes which works really well, oil spills, static grass, rubbish and general stuff from round the yard.

Looks like you've had a busy and productive weekend, glad it all lined up with no nasty derailments.

Can't wait to see your further updates, this is really coming along nicely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not a lot has gone on scenicly on the layout in the last week, as I have been wiring it and making sure it runs.
Currently waiting on a CDU to arrive so I can get my point motors up and running, opted for the Gaugemaster PM1 motors with the built in switch.

The wiring has been quite good fun to get it all in neatly, I asked around and found a good way to get power between the fiddle yard and scenic sections, as the DCC bus input is situated on the fiddle yard board, I am using the NCE power cab for my controller.
Using a 6.35mm jack plug cut down with my own wires soldered to it from the DCC bus I have now got a strong and reliable connection between the boards which can be removed whenever I need to just have the scenic board out.

• Informative/Useful 1

I had a choice, sit back and do nothing until the CDU arrives or crack on doing another project for the layout.
Well I opted for the different project, this was my chance to brake open the Parkside Dundas wagon kits I got in december.

49484481333_06af2d43aa.jpg

I decided to start with the Grampus wagon, a personal favourite of mine.

49485179017_ff5bb03d6f.jpg

49485178902_c61ed22c2a.jpg

I have got as far as testing the running with the wheels installed.
49484971796_b343b08dcf.jpg|

I can say it runs really well, so that means i've not messed it up so far haha.

49484481013_4f2cd3be30.jpg

I have decided that I will buy and install some cast metal buffers rather than the plastic ones provided, i've been reccomended to try lanarkshire models, aftering doing so I have found that the buffers which represent the closest to the prototype are these http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_065.htm

I will check how many I need for the other 2 wagon kits and then order a few in one go rather than pay postage for multiple items individually, I will also be buying my buffer stops from them as well, as they are short which I need for such a short layout, http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_233.htm

• Like 4